Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Owner Steve Bisciotti interview with Marlon Humphrey

Sorry, Marlon lost me at "axing" a question. If a person is going to be a media person, please learn to speak correctly using proper pronunciation. Is it so difficult to pronounce "asking"? I mean allegedly these people on the team have college degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I would love Marlon to ask Bisciotti if the Ravens have made any contract offers to Lamar. Not how much the offer was for, but just if an offer was even made. Bisciotti is a straight shooter, and might answer the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think there's a good chance that Marlon was told by Ravens PR not to ask about Lamar's contract situation. The Ravens and Lamar both want to keep it private.
    90% of the game is half mental

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Sorry, Marlon lost me at "axing" a question. If a person is going to be a media person, please learn to speak correctly using proper pronunciation. Is it so difficult to pronounce "asking"? I mean allegedly these people on the team have college degrees.

A lot to unpack here. Language is dynamic / fluid, and there's various dialects and accents. I live in New England and you should hear the way they talk, its as bad as you might imagine lol.

But also, you can compare American english to the actual queen's english spoken in England and see just how different the "English" language can be spoken.

Endgame, if your barrier to enjoying Marlon's show is the his dialect came with him phonectically saying "axing" rather than "Asking", I think the reality is you just really don't want to hear what he has to say in general. Or, you somehow literally haven't travel to enough places or hung out with enough people to recognize that regional and cultural dialects and accents, plus slang, exist.

Welcome to human existence.

Let me also add - plenty of people would say that what you view(ed) as as misstep adds authenticity. He's speaking the way he speaks. Plenty of people richer and more talented that either of us speak whatever way they speak and keep it 100%

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    A lot to unpack here. Language is dynamic / fluid, and there's various dialects and accents. I live in New England and you should hear the way they talk, its as bad as you might imagine lol.

But also, you can compare American english to the actual queen's english spoken in England and see just how different the "English" language can be spoken.

Endgame, if your barrier to enjoying Marlon's show is the his dialect came with him phonectically saying "axing" rather than "Asking", I think the reality is you just really don't want to hear what he has to say in general. Or, you somehow literally haven't travel to enough places or hung out with enough people to recognize that regional and cultural dialects and accents, plus slang, exist.

Welcome to human existence.
    Let me also add - plenty of people would say that what you view(ed) as as misstep adds authenticity. He's speaking the way he speaks. Plenty of people richer and more talented that either of us speak whatever way they speak and keep it 100%
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My choice to disregard someones broadcast because they do not speak correctly is my choice. It is not an accent, it is purposeful and lazy to not say the word correctly. I went to school with def kids that struggled to learn and pronounce words correctly, if they can do it, a multimillionaire that wants to be in broadcasting can do it too.

As for wanting to hear what he had to say, absolutely I wanted to hear, why I listened. Please do not presume to know me. I have traveled the entire world, heard many dialects. I had co-workers in Russia, Ireland, Scotland, England, and Australia. There are many words that the pronounced differently, but it was an entire society that said the words a different way. "Saw" is said "Saur" by most of the Brits. I won't even get into Scottish.

Point is, if a person wants to be taken seriously, make an effort to speak properly.

Can you say when in the interview he talks Lamar? I picked up the stream in the middle and missed any Lamar content
    The spoiler is he doesn't lol.

I thought he was saving it for the very end but never happened.

Point is, if a person wants to be taken seriously, make an effort to speak properly.
    I think my point is, I doubt you actually speak "properly" by many standards. Certainly not the queen's english. Probably not American english, if I had to guess. And regardless, i'm not sure if you are important enough for Marlon Humphrey to worry about, in terms of "being taken seriously".

I mean, hold whatever delusion of power you want to in your mind, but all things equal Marlon Humphrey is interviewing the owner of the Ravens for a podcast, is a successful pro bowl player, is obviously getting the support of the team to cut his teeth in terms of developing a media presence / career. And you're not.

Obviously he is well liked, supported, and successful. I'm not sure he was "axing" your opinion of how he speak or how it does or doesn't hurt him anyway lol.

Internet is wild.

I think you should take your own advice and realize "You're not worthy"

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownP View Post
    The spoiler is he doesn't lol.

I thought he was saving it for the very end but never happened.
    ohhhhh. yeah that not a big deal. Studio 44 seems like a funsies type thing. Hard hitting doesn't seem to be in its style or ethos. No need to suddenly change that because you're interviewing the boss.

Blog Entries

I think my point is, I doubt you actually speak "properly" by many standards. Certainly not the queen's english. Probably not American english, if I had to guess. And regardless, i'm not sure if you are important enough for Marlon Humphrey to worry about, in terms of "being taken seriously".

I mean, hold whatever delusion of power you want to in your mind, but all things equal Marlon Humphrey is interviewing the owner of the Ravens for a podcast, is a successful pro bowl player, is obviously getting the support of the team to cut his teeth in terms of developing a media presence / career. And you're not.

Obviously he is well liked, supported, and successful. I'm not sure he was "axing" your opinion of how he speak or how it does or doesn't hurt him anyway lol.

Internet is wild.

Wrong again. I took public speaking in school, almost majored in it. If you do not think it is important to speak correctly as a broadcaster you have no standards. Not sure why you think I care that Humphrey could care less about me. I am sure you are correct in that. I want the guy to succeed. I think it would be fantastic if he went on to a second career in broadcasting.

Unfortunately, there will be others that will tune him out because of that fact. There is an entire group of people who cannot stand to listen to Shannon Sharpe speak.

To each their own.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My choice to disregard someones broadcast because they do not speak correctly is my choice. It is not an accent, it is purposeful and lazy to not say the word correctly. I went to school with def kids that struggled to learn and pronounce words correctly, if they can do it, a multimillionaire that wants to be in broadcasting can do it too.

As for wanting to hear what he had to say, absolutely I wanted to hear, why I listened. Please do not presume to know me. I have traveled the entire world, heard many dialects. I had co-workers in Russia, Ireland, Scotland, England, and Australia. There are many words that the pronounced differently, but it was an entire society that said the words a different way. "Saw" is said "Saur" by most of the Brits. I won't even get into Scottish.

It makes no difference to me what language mechanism causes a person to tune someone out. Some of us have other triggers... a couple for me are "all of THE sudden", people interchanging "corps" and "core" and how "scary" gets misused mostly due to folks purposely making "scared" a two syllable "scare-red" many entertainment cycles ago and folks not hearing it correctly.

Anyway, there is close to an "entire society" that pronounces "ask" as "axe" and it surprisingly crosses multiple educational and economic strata. I have to constantly police myself to pronounce it properly because if I am just speaking freely, I will say it the wrong way

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    It makes no difference to me what language mechanism causes a person to tune someone out. Some of us have other triggers... a couple for me are "all of THE sudden", people interchanging "corps" and "core" and how "scary" gets misused mostly due to folks purposely making "scared" a two syllable "scare-red" many entertainment cycles ago and folks not hearing it correctly.

Anyway, there is close to an "entire society" that pronounces "ask" as "axe" and it surprisingly crosses multiple educational and economic strata. I have to constantly police myself to pronounce it properly because if I am just speaking freely, I will say it the wrong way
    Again, I have relatives that say "xspecially". Drives me nuts. Do I use slang? Of course. I am not trying to promote myself either on a video podcast or whatever. If being "hood" and 100%, by speaking that way is geared for that audience, then hats off to him. Clearly I am not his audience.

Additionally, my brother had a speech impediment. I spent a lot of time helping him as did his speech therapist. So don't have a lot of empathy for those with the ability to speak correctly choose not to.

Internet is wild.

Seems like the way Shannon Sharp speaks has worked out for him.