Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 105.7 - Sickening

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I keep telling people, 105.7 is the BEST advertisement for paying to have NFL SiriusXM. Once I got it, I never went back. Sure, you get a lot of coverage of the large market teams, yet they do cover all the other teams and they do it well. The Ravens are HIGHLY respected by many of the hosts.

Not sure what was ever good about 105.7 the fan except changing the station.
    I'm with you and have been listening for about 15 years now. I used to listed to WFAN in NY which was the very first sports talk radio station. Once I got Sirius I stopped listening to all local radio. I like hearing about every team. There is only so much Ravens talk before it gets repetitive.

This is not a franchise that leaks information. It's not like some radio host will have insight that he didn't get from reading Zriebec the same as the rest of us. The analysis a understanding certainly isn't as good as what you get on this board. Local radio has no choice but to try and create drama to get listeners and I have no interest in that. Maybe that works if you cover Washington and your owner is a nightmare but that's just not the case in Baltimore.

I'd much rather listen to Tony's podcasts and watch Cole's YouTube to get all the Ravens specific information that I'd ever want. Both those are killing it and much better than anything you will ever find on local radio

Blog Entries

Even my dad who loves the morning show and is a Vinny Cerrato fan (on the radio that is, hey, he's almost 70, he likes what he likes) and regularly regurgitates Cerrato's usually bad takes to me, and at his age is the target demo for FM sports radio, has said numerous times he can't listen to JLC and Weinman because of how they are and how they act towards the Ravens. If the intention is negativity sells, I'm not sure it's selling well here...

Honestly the only people I liked listening to radio wise in this area over the years is Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro who were on 980 in DC, not sure if they are still. I listened years ago. Sheehan is a Washington homer through and through but has/had no problem being critical of them and as far as I heard was always very complimentary of the Ravens. Thom is intelligent and funny. I live and work way south in the state so for a long time I couldn't get Baltimore radio stations at all. I never listened to Garceau outside the (now very) old game broadcasts but I feel he's more well thought of locally.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    At what point does this blow back on the other hosts?

All of the blame can't rest on the two IA hosts. The program director enables it, so he has to shoulder some of the blame. And then ratings dip. And then maybe it affects the ratings on other shows...guilty by association. And then the station's customers start to bail which then forces management to bring in a new program director. And then said new PD brings in his own on-air talent.

So indirectly, the buffoonery of Inside Access could prove costly to the other hosts on the station.
    I honestly do not know and just from my perspective it already has. I purposely will not tune in from 2:00-6:00 but I have also not listened as much on my ride to work and in the morning while at work so I definitely have stopped listening overall more.

If this ass bag program director allows it well then what ever happens is on them for allowing it.

How it took this long for CBS to fire Laconfora I do not know. For anyone who thinks his radio show is bad, check out this idiots Twitter feed. He is just a lousy human being like to his core.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm with you and have been listening for about 15 years now. I used to listed to WFAN in NY which was the very first sports talk radio station. Once I got Sirius I stopped listening to all local radio. I like hearing about every team. There is only so much Ravens talk before it gets repetitive.

This is not a franchise that leaks information. It's not like some radio host will have insight that he didn't get from reading Zriebec the same as the rest of us. The analysis a understanding certainly isn't as good as what you get on this board. Local radio has no choice but to try and create drama to get listeners and I have no interest in that. Maybe that works if you cover Washington and your owner is a nightmare but that's just not the case in Baltimore.

I'd much rather listen to Tony's podcasts and watch Cole's YouTube to get all the Ravens specific information that I'd ever want. Both those are killing it and much better than anything you will ever find on local radio
    That is a truth. I am much more educated about the rest of the league, other teams, other players and coaches. Makes it far more interesting to not only know your team, but know the teams and organizations the Ravens play against. Or what kind of player you may be looking at in a trade, or signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Honestly the only people I liked listening to radio wise in this area over the years is Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro who were on 980 in DC, not sure if they are still. I listened years ago. Sheehan is a Washington homer through and through but has/had no problem being critical of them and as far as I heard was always very complimentary of the Ravens. Thom is intelligent and funny.
    Sheehan left 980 several years ago when his contract was not renewed - he was a major Snyder critic - and started a podcast, then last year he came back to 980 for an early morning show, but he still has his podcast. Loverto is now on 106.7 and I think may also have a podcast.

JLC has been on this kick for weeks. He wants you to think that the Ravens are cheap because the cap is not real, as evidenced by the Rams are outlaying $293M in cash this year, while the Ravens are 20th in actual cash outlay at $227M. See the list.

He wants you to believe that this proves Bisciotti is cheap and the owner is using the cap ceiling as an excuse for his cheapness.

It's the biggest bullshit argument of all time.

What he doesn't explain is that the reason the Rams are spending way over the cap, so to speak, is because they sign veterans with big bonus and spread that money out over future years, which don't count against the cap this year. But since the bonuses are paid immediately all that money counts as cash spending (whereas for cap purposes it's prorated over the life of the contract)>

By failing to explain how the Rams appear to spend over the cap, and the pros and cons of that, he's doing listeners a terrible disservice.

If he wanted to explain all that, and make a case why it's preferable, and let listeners decide for themselves, okay, that's fair. But to paint it all as Bisciotti being cheap is beyond low.

This is the same guy who was telling listeners a few months ago that the Orioles are ahead of the Ravens in their "rebuild."

I equate JLC's praise of the Rams strategy with you or me running up our credit cards to buy a bunch of expensive stuff. That's okay if that means you won't have to buy new stuff anytime soon, and pay off over future years, but if some of that expensive stuff falls apart and you have to replace it, eventually buying on credit catches up with you.

The Redskins ruined their franchise with this approach, for instance.

If Lamar signs a new contract that includes a huge signing bonus, that all counts as cash layout by JLC's reckoning. So all this is also dependent on when you're looking at the annual cash outlay.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan55 View Post
    That's what I don't get about that station. Weinman, he's "whatever". But JLC goes out of his way to make it seem as though the Ravens ars some garbage organization. Hey, look, I complain here and there about on the field stuff but we all know this is a first class organization.

A broadcaster that hates a local team shouldn't be on local radio IMO. Do you think because 105.7 is available on Audacy he thinks he can slander the Ravens and build a following nationally? Maybe he's popular in Cleveland and Pittsburgh?
    The last thing I want to hear is a blatant homer that won't provide critical analysis of a home team. That is what we have in MASN. The employees like Rob Long (sadly has turned into a homer), and in the past you had Tom Davis and Jim Hunter that were just a PR arm for the home team. Cerrato coached with Bill Walsh and Lou Holtz, two of the greatest coaches ever at the pro and college respectively. He knows the game and brings a wealth of experience working under proven coaches. No he was not successful with the Redskins, but who is? I like listening to him. I hear what people are saying about LaConfora, but the Rams and Bills are 1 and 2 in cash over cap and you can't dispute their results. I don't always agree with LaConfora but maybe this time he is onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylogan View Post
    The last thing I want to hear is a blatant homer that won't provide critical analysis of a home team. That is what we have in MASN. The employees like Rob Long (sadly has turned into a homer), and in the past you had Tom Davis and Jim Hunter that were just a PR arm for the home team. Cerrato coached with Bill Walsh and Lou Holtz, two of the greatest coaches ever at the pro and college respectively. He knows the game and brings a wealth of experience working under proven coaches. No he was not successful with the Redskins, but who is? I like listening to him. I hear what people are saying about LaConfora, but the Rams and Bills are 1 and 2 in cash over cap and you can't dispute their results. I don't always agree with LaConfora but maybe this time he is onto something.
    Lmao yea it’s easy to point out who did well last year and say why can’t you be like them lmao really? Cash over cap is a real thing eventually you are going to have to eat crow somewhere. The combination with the Rams is going to be bad in 5 years if not less. All the missed out picks because of trades will eventually bite them in the ass. Can only kick the rock down the road so far.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

And Pat Kirwan just had Marvin Lewis on to talk about Tony Siragusa. Good luck that EVER happening on 105.7...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    And Pat Kirwan just had Marvin Lewis on to talk about Tony Siragusa. Good luck that EVER happening on 105.7...
    Same here. I mentioned earlier I haven’t listened to AM/FM in over a decade

Love their music channels too

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan55 View Post
    I made the mistake of turning on the radio and listening to the two assclowns who do the 2-6 slot. How are these guys allowed to be on local radio when they seems to hate the Ravens, especially LaCanfora. He totally went off on Steve Bischiotti over and over and over for his "cheapness". With parrot Weinman doing his "yes yes yes" thing.

Who at the Ravens pissed in these guys bowl of Cheerios?

I know this is nothing new but they were really over the top today. Made me cringe listening to them. I mean I get it, they don't want to be homers, but this was ridiculous.
    LaCanfora got in to a spat with Eric DeCOsta. Lacanfora said something about EDC's wife......can't remember the exact details. There is some bad blood between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    JLC has been on this kick for weeks. He wants you to think that the Ravens are cheap because the cap is not real, as evidenced by the Rams are outlaying $293M in cash this year, while the Ravens are 20th in actual cash outlay at $227M. See the list.

He wants you to believe that this proves Bisciotti is cheap and the owner is using the cap ceiling as an excuse for his cheapness.

It's the biggest bullshit argument of all time.

What he doesn't explain is that the reason the Rams are spending way over the cap, so to speak, is because they sign veterans with big bonus and spread that money out over future years, which don't count against the cap this year. But since the bonuses are paid immediately all that money counts as cash spending (whereas for cap purposes it's prorated over the life of the contract)>

By failing to explain how the Rams appear to spend over the cap, and the pros and cons of that, he's doing listeners a terrible disservice.

If he wanted to explain all that, and make a case why it's preferable, and let listeners decide for themselves, okay, that's fair. But to paint it all as Bisciotti being cheap is beyond low.

This is the same guy who was telling listeners a few months ago that the Orioles are ahead of the Ravens in their "rebuild."

I equate JLC's praise of the Rams strategy with you or me running up our credit cards to buy a bunch of expensive stuff. That's okay if that means you won't have to buy new stuff anytime soon, and pay off over future years, but if some of that expensive stuff falls apart and you have to replace it, eventually buying on credit catches up with you.

The Redskins ruined their franchise with this approach, for instance.

If Lamar signs a new contract that includes a huge signing bonus, that all counts as cash layout by JLC's reckoning. So all this is also dependent on when you're looking at the annual cash outlay.
    I really like your post. I think its one of the more fair and balanced ones that almost mirrors my thoughts on him.
    JLC is like so many in our world today, an extremist. He takes an idea or thought and takes it to the absolute extreme.
    He provides one side of the argument (his side), showing the teams that cash over cap worked for but neglecting to show the fallout that follows for not just those teams but the many other teams that go cash over cap and have no trophies to show for it. That is just poor journalism and leaves me thinking he has an ax to grind for some reason with the organization.

It's not that Steve B does not agree with the cash over cap model, it's that he is cheap. An idea I find ridiculous. Cheap is spending at the cap floor or leaving 20 million on the table to spend when you have a team that can win. Your not cheap for saying that we will not conduct our business in a way that leaves our fans watching a crappy, aging team with no money to improve or keep their best players because they blew todays salary cap over the past 5 years in the hope of winning a SB. That is a philosophical difference in how to run a team, one that he payed a shitload of money for and a philosophy IMO that is founded in a lot of common sense.

I think its fair to debate if a team should CONSIDER going cash over cap during a window when they have a REAL chance of winning a SB.
    Since 2010, the only SB winners to not go cash over cap are.... the Patriots who had a hometown discount at the most expensive position (QB) and yes our Baltimore Ravens. That is not simply an anomaly, it's a trend. There are plenty of teams who have gone this route and have nothing to show for it. Again, I am not a fan of this trend, I do however think that a fair discussion that looks at the pluses and minuses is good to have. To bad JLC rather than doing that, presents it in a way that only a narcissist can, bombastically, loud and without consideration or thoughtful analysis of all sides of the argument. Sadly this behavior is commonplace and rewarded in all walks of life. He's just a symptom of a bigger and worse illness IMO.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis