Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Are Hollywood and Snead(and myself) actually wrong about GRo?

It’s only fair to make threads about the good if we are going to make threads about the bad regarding Roman. This is a fantastic watch about the evolution of Romans passing game last season that gives me some hope. Maybe it’s not as bad as a lot of us think? There’s definitely some concepts that directly contradicts what Snead and Hollywood have said.

Romannetes, have your fun.

https://youtu.be/aADg_DQ24jA

Blog Entries

Re: Are Hollywood and Snead(and myself) actually wrong about GRo?

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    It’s only fair to make threads about the good if we are going to make threads about the bad regarding Roman. This is a fantastic watch about the evolution of Romans passing game last season that gives me some hope. Maybe it’s not as bad as a lot of us think? There’s definitely some concepts that directly contradicts what Snead and Hollywood have said.

Romannetes, have your fun.

https://youtu.be/aADg_DQ24jA
    Mac, the answer should certainly come this year. IF (BIG IF) Dobbins and Gus are 100% healthy and can carry a heavy work-load, the Ravens WRs may not rack up a ton of yardage. Especially if GRo relies heavily on the TE corps, and why not? The goal is to win games, not see who has the best stats... Bc

Blog Entries

Are Hollywood and Snead(and myself) actually wrong about GRo?

No, Roman is the devil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    No, Roman is the devil.

Lmaooooo he’s what we’ve got though!! Might as well try to find a way to be optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Mac, the answer should certainly come this year. IF (BIG IF) Dobbins and Gus are 100% healthy and can carry a heavy work-load, the Ravens WRs may not rack up a ton of yardage. Especially if GRo relies heavily on the TE corps, and why not? The goal is to win games, not see who has the best stats... Bc
    Agreed 100%. I’m coming around to it. Just want to see the passing game continue to evolve. Last season was a good first step.

That was a fun watch MMC. I've seen several other videos that are along those lines as well that are counters to the Hollywood and Snead narratives. Haven't posted them because I was content to let this particular debate die. It will rear it's head again the first time the Ravens lose a game or the next time Lamar throws 4 or 5 TDs in one game - either way.

I think most folks that are "Romanettes" or not solidly in the "Roman must go" camp have given up trying to argue about it. I commend you for sure for at least presenting something that opens the door for an actual discussion. That maybe, just maybe, execution by the players could have a dramatic effect on the real and perceived success of Roman's offense. Also that maybe, just maybe, they do have and run plays that are better designed than some fans give them credit for.

The other thing at play here can be seen in the other thread about the SI article detailing how the Ravens focus on non-premium positions more so than other teams. It immediately struck a cord with some folks that believe WR is the key to winning the next SB ring. That line of thinking will typically also lead you to hate Greg Roman. If you believe that a big time WR is necessary, you also believe the offense should be built around that position and as long as Greg Roman(really it's Harbaugh) is here, those fans will never get their wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Agreed 100%. I’m coming around to it. Just want to see the passing game continue to evolve. Last season was a good first step.
    Last season they were clearly trying to do some other things offensively. I find it damn near impossible to judge the failure or success of it based on the fact that so many key players were missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    That was a fun watch MMC. I've seen several other videos that are along those lines as well that are counters to the Hollywood and Snead narratives. Haven't posted them because I was content to let this particular debate die. It will rear it's head again the first time the Ravens lose a game or the next time Lamar throws 4 or 5 TDs in one game - either way.

I think most folks that are "Romanettes" or not solidly in the "Roman must go" camp have given up trying to argue about it. I commend you for sure for at least presenting something that opens the door for an actual discussion. That maybe, just maybe, execution by the players could have a dramatic effect on the real and perceived success of Roman's offense. Also that maybe, just maybe, they do have and run plays that are better designed than some fans give them credit for.

The other thing at play here can be seen in the other thread about the SI article detailing how the Ravens focus on non-premium positions more so than other teams. It immediately struck a cord with some folks that believe WR is the key to winning the next SB ring. That line of thinking will typically also lead you to hate Greg Roman. If you believe that a big time WR is necessary, you also believe the offense should be built around that position and as long as Greg Roman(really it's Harbaugh) is here, those fans will never get their wish.
    Yeah, for me it’s not about being right, I just want what’s best for the team and to win.

What stood out was the Dru Hill reference. Lamar, Andrews, and hopefully Bate will always be the main core and the rest are just a revolving door supporting cast. I could see how that would irk role players like Snead because you just aren’t good enough to be a cornerstone. Like he said, Hollywood needs to just stfu because all of those drops. He was also put in so many positions to succeed and just didn’t capitalize.

Last seasons passing concepts were a lot different than the years prior. So Sneads opinion is kind of Moot.

I really wish All-22 footage was just available for everybody because it completely changes everything.

I don’t believe one person has ever suggested Roman’s pass concepts couldn’t use any help.
    They look poor compared to his run concepts.
    They look poor compared to the elites like arris and Payton, and their run concepts are equally lacking when compared to Roman’s.

Some of us simply think it’s good enough to complement the best run game in football:
    Some of us see that we are trying to improve it.

That’s all, glad we have found a bit of common ground.

Blog Entries

We’ve been here too many times as ravens fans….too many times….sigh….someday they will figure it out.

This is the thing, lamar missed a lot of opportunities, Hollywood dropped a lot of catches, Snead ran some wrong routes, still all that don’t make up for not calling one god damn slant an entire 60 minutes of god damn football. I don’t care how somebody feel about this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I don’t believe one person has ever suggested Roman’s pass concepts couldn’t use any help.
    They look poor compared to his run concepts.
    They look poor compared to the elites like arris and Payton, and their run concepts are equally lacking when compared to Roman’s.

Some of us simply think it’s good enough to complement the best run game in football:
    Some of us see that we are trying to improve it.

That’s all, glad we have found a bit of common ground.

He’s definitely got some nice stuff in his arsenal. We just need to add some more and get better with the situational play calling. Sometimes I think he has trouble with that. It’s just good for me to see that we actually do have that stuff in the book. I didn’t think we did before. That video shows some pretty high level stuff I can’t even lie. 5 wide, flood concepts, concepts to isolate the #1, concepts that use Andrews as a decoy. He will have all his horses this year so I hope we can continue to build off of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    We’ve been here too many times as ravens fans….too many times….sigh….someday they will figure it out.

This is the thing, lamar missed a lot of opportunities, Hollywood dropped a lot of catches, Snead ran some wrong routes, still all that don’t make up for not calling one god damn slant an entire 60 minutes of god damn football. I don’t care how somebody feel about this.
    The effort is definitely there. Which I didn’t think was the case. They know it needs to be better and that we need to evolve. I can respect and appreciate that.