Page 1 of 24 123 ... LastLast

Blog Entries

Re: SI article on Ravens approach

Thanks good read.
    I think the article gets the Ravens overall analytical approach, even if they donít nail the understanding of the reasons/explanations.
    Overall the Ravens are capitalizing on market inefficiencies and lack of understanding in an areaÖ.they are kings of the margins.

Blog Entries

agreed, nice article.

I've said it before, they could go after a high dollar wide receiver but they just don't value them the same as most teams. Draft a couple every year and keep it going.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

It's quite easy to see that EDC uses market investment strategies to his approach as GM. Great safety and center prospects are value stocks in the NFL. A WR is like tesla or other over valued stocks to the Ravens.

Excellent article. Should be required reading for the faction of this message board that lives at the altar of "Name" wide receivers being the be all and end all of roster development. Conor Orr is an astute football writer and hits the target with this article. Great analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by John Morris View Post
    Excellent article. Should be required reading for the faction of this message board that lives at the altar of "Name" wide receivers being the be all and end all of roster development. Conor Orr is an astute football writer and hits the target with this article. Great analysis.
    The inverse benefit is also true which is why - perhaps - the current ravens offense works. Most defenses are built to defend the most common offenses. Therefore run heavy or TE heavy passing game should not only give us a benefit in the value of the players but also the scheme alteration required from defenses to cover these offense ďunicornsĒ. Two birds, one stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Re: SI article on Ravens approach

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    agreed, nice article.

I've said it before, they could go after a high dollar wide receiver but they just don't value them the same as most teams. Draft a couple every year and keep it going.
    Interestingly enough the last time we won a Super Bowl was when we had an All pro WR in Boldin.

So before we start praising this approach as genius letís win something first.

The last 3 Super Bowl winners had an all pro big time receiver.

Iím not saying what we are doing wonít work, but donít start praising ideas until they are actually successful

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post
    Interestingly enough the last time we won a Super Bowl was when we had an All pro WR in Boldin.

Iím not saying what we are doing wonít work, but donít start praising ideas until they are actually successful
    Exactly

The lat 3 superbowls were against teams heavily focused on the passing game,

Cincy/rams, kc/tb, kc/sf.

After that you get a string of new England still hand the GOAT who could win with anyone and more defensive teams, but the league is different and officiated different now. The 2000 Ravens defense is never coming back.

The best defense to have is a pass rush who generates turnovers.

So before we start praising this approach as genius let’s win something first.

I’m not saying what we are doing won’t work, but don’t start praising ideas until they are actually successful
    Factually, 1) Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall were All Pro receivers in 2012 not Boldin, though I follow your point. 2) I, nor the writer ever said anything about the approach being "genius". 3) Though Cooper Kupp was All Pro last year, the Bucs didn't have an All Pro receiver in 2020 and the Chiefs didn't have an All Pro receiver in 2019. If winning the Super Bowl is the only measure of success, than only one team is successful every year. I'd say our overall record and the offensive rankings noted in the article are a pretty fair evaluation of success. 43 - 22 .670 winning percentage. Since 2018, the 3rd most efficient offense in football (behind Chiefs and Packers). Obviously we'd all like better postseason results and Super Bowls every year, but to insinuate these ideas aren't "actually successful" is disingenuous. The logic in the article speaks for itself. I get it though, you want to disagree. Have at it.

Blog Entries

I find it disingenuous to suggest Hamilton and Linderbaum fell based on position and not 40 time and size/arm length

Quote Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
    I find it disingenuous to suggest Hamilton and Linderbaum fell based on position and not 40 time and size/arm length
    Ooh you used a big word Ö but that doesnít make sense.