Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Let's Talk Tylan

The young guys are going to get a full crack at looking good in camp and staying healthy before they pick up the phone and call Julio, etc.

Having Wallace play gunner was a stroke of genius from the coaching staff. They don't play press in the Big 12 so he needed to develop his release moves in order to successfully get off the line of scrimmage. If he shows enough improvement in this area it creates the possibility for him to line up as an X if needed. From what I understand he has been working out of the slot quite a bit as well, and he already played as a Z/flanker the majority of the time in college. Add in the toughness, yards after catch, and blocking ability and you have a swiss army knife of a receiver who fits the Roman offense and the AFC North as a whole.

When I imagine what Wallace could be I can't help but think of Hines Ward. One of the underrated components of the 2019 offense was the exceptional blocking we got from guys like Willie Snead and Seth Roberts. Wallace is probably more talented than either of them but he fits in that same role.

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    Having Wallace play gunner was a stroke of genius from the coaching staff. They don't play press in the Big 12 so he needed to develop his release moves in order to successfully get off the line of scrimmage.
    Oh wow. I never even considered that. Cool.

When I imagine what Wallace could be I can't help but think of Hines Ward.
    Interesting comp. Tylan was a ton faster in college (sub-4.4 before the knee injury), and was a serious deep-ball threat, so I wouldn't have thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Interesting comp. Tylan was a ton faster in college (sub-4.4 before the knee injury), and was a serious deep-ball threat, so I wouldn't have thought of that.
    If he can get back to anywhere near that speed it would vastly increase his ceiling as a player IMO. On tape to me he looked like a 4.5 guy at best. Interestingly enough, when I looked into his player comp using the usual criteria (size, workout numbers, college production, draft position) the closest by far was former Super Bowl winning Giants WR Mario Manningham. That's probably a closer comp than Ward; I think the reason I was reminded of him is because Wallace shares that same kind of nasty attitude.

If he can get back to anywhere near that speed it would vastly increase his ceiling as a player IMO. On tape to me he looked like a 4.5 guy at best.
    Yeah: he tested 4.49 last year, so you're right on.

Waldman said he was slower as a senior than before the injury; the hope is that he gains some speed back, another year removed from the injury.

I have mixed feelings about that: if that's good new for Tylan, it implies that Dobbins won't be 100% this year. Which is unsurprising, but depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Yeah: he tested 4.49 last year, so you're right on.

Waldman said he was slower as a senior than before the injury; the hope is that he gains some speed back, another year removed from the injury.

I have mixed feelings about that: if that's good new for Tylan, it implies that Dobbins won't be 100% this year. Which is unsurprising, but depressing.
    Unfortunately there is a decent chance that neither Dobbins, Edwards, nor Hill are ready for Week 1. I wouldn't say that it's likely but it's not a remote possibility either. I would say that hopefully the emergence of Wallace and Proche allow them to play Duvernay in the backfield more but if they didn't do it last year I don't think it's gonna happen, which is a shame. I like Badie; if he gives us a good rookie year I would probably not care all that much what happens after that assuming Dobbins and Edwards look OK. I think a big part of the reason he was there for us at 194 is because teams don't think his body will hold up long-term.
    Last edited by New !; 06-22-2022 at 10:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    ...look at his catch at 3:36 -- he stops on a dime throwing the CB ahead of him and shows NFL caliber body control keeping himself in bounds. This is the kind of sideline play we should hope from him.
    Sorry, but that's the only impressive move I saw on that tape. Otherwise he was getting eaten alive by the DBs. One good play doth not an NFL receiver make any more than one swallow maketh a spring.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    What's the actual value of a vet in this offense though? Unless it's a guy who has played in it and understands some of the finer points needed to succeed in it, I don't see a ton of value in bringing one in. What's a guy like OBJ going to do besides bitch about being misused? Is his presence really going to help Bate, Proche and Duv reach their fullest potential? If we want a guy who is going to be productive and still has some juice, you're gonna have to trade for him. Otherwise, I think we'd be looking at the next Maclin, Crabtree, Watkins, etc etc.
    Romans offense involves quite a bit of option routes for the wide receiver to run and The Ravens offense probably will continue to face zone coverages from opposing defenses cause of their fear of Lamar Jackson ability to make plays with his legs. I don't doubt the young receivers they have now but it probably would be wise to have that veteran wide receiver that can be intelligent enough to get open in these situations and be a reliable target for Lamar. Having that reliable zone beater and that receiver that can adjust his routes to get open given the coverages that he is facing could be quite beneficial which is why i'm not oppose to The Ravens signing Julio Jones or Ty Hilton if they feel like either receiver could that for them,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Romans offense involves quite a bit of option routes for the wide receiver to run and The Ravens offense probably will continue to face zone coverages from opposing defenses cause of their fear of Lamar Jackson ability to make plays with his legs. I don't doubt the young receivers they have now but it probably would be wise to have that veteran wide receiver that can be intelligent enough to get open in these situations and be a reliable target for Lamar. Having that reliable zone beater and that receiver that can adjust his routes to get open given the coverages that he is facing could be quite beneficial which is why i'm not oppose to The Ravens signing Julio Jones or Ty Hilton if they feel like either receiver could that for them,
    that guy...is Mark Andrews

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    that guy...is Mark Andrews
    Yeah but having more than one guy would be better. It doesn't get any better that Hollywood Brown is no longer on the team as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Yeah but having more than one guy would be better. It doesn't get any better that Hollywood Brown is no longer on the team as well.
    I don’t know, the argument that Lamar may be forced to read defenses and find the open man instead of force feeding his best friend is legitimate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If defences catch up that they only need to concentrate on Andrews, he'll get that much special attention from them. Having a vet as a valuable second read in such situations would have defences think twice. And then third and / or fourth read could become wide open.
    It's not just Lamar relying on a guy, it's about giving him valuable options when it matters.
    There's plenty on things that the young 'uns can benefit from having that vet presence. Just read what Torrey said about Boldin. Even learning how to grow into proper adults would be valuable enough.