Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Let's Talk Tylan

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Its the Harbaugh problem.

If you are a drafted Ravens wide receiver you are at the BOTTOM of the barrel - playing behind whatever has been they've signed in free agency (lets use Watkins as an example). So you keep your place at the bottom of the totem pole until the grand wizard deems that you are qualified enough to make it to the game day roster. And when you are on the game day roster what do you do - you play special teams until the grand wizard puts you in for a couple of plays. And then what happens - Lamar throws to Hollywood when you are open - irrespective of how open you are he force feeds Hollywood. If you're lucky you get to your fourth year with a couple of catches - and then you move on to a team not tied to the Bo Schembechler mantra of "3 yards and a cloud of dust" - oh wait that's Woody Hayes - basically the same thing.
    Grand wizard? Why the KKK reference?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Grand wizard? Why the KKK reference?
    Because racism is the natural resting spot of someone that doesn’t have a legitimate argument and wants to wave their hands and make their point carry weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Because racism is the natural resting spot of someone that doesn’t have a legitimate argument and wants to wave their hands and make their point carry weight.

Disgusting if true.

I'm hoping the Ravens have finally realized that developing their own WRs is the way to go. Lamar's cap share means we need to spend less somewhere else. With the money top receivers are getting, and considering we're a run-oriented offense, I think growing our own pass catchers make good sense. We've wasted too many draft picks on WRs who then rot on the vine, so giving these kids a chance makes should be part of the plan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CTFan View Post
    I'm hoping the Ravens have finally realized that developing their own WRs is the way to go. Lamar's cap share means we need to spend less somewhere else. With the money top receivers are getting, and considering we're a run-oriented offense, I think growing our own pass catchers make good sense. We've wasted too many draft picks on WRs who then rot on the vine, so giving these kids a chance makes should be part of the plan.
    Sammy Watkins was the only WR on the roster last year who wasn't drafted by the Ravens. It wasn't all free agents like we saw at RB. How many teams only have players they drafted at WR? Having just 1 is trying to develop your own drafted players.

I see... you guys are taking a closer look. Be back when the gifs are posted

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

How about racism is "a" natural landing spot of someone that doesn't have...

There is more than one form of insanity in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by CTFan View Post
    We’ve never spent any real money on big time WR, so nothing has changed really.

We will most likely see an over the hill once upon a time reciever brought in sometime this season

I think everyone needs to wait until we play a few preseason games. It was a few days at mini camp.

Quote Originally Posted by horus13 View Post
    I see... you guys are taking a closer look. Be back when the gifs are posted
    I can get started on that

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tylan-wallace

When Tylan Wallace came out of college, he was a tape > measurables guy. Some people thought he was an early 2nd round talent. I had him a bit lower and would have taken him in Rd 3... the Ravens ended up taking him later than most people thought in Rd 4.

He has the strange combination of very short arms (8th%) and big hands (76th%) for his position. His broad jump is low and yet his 10 yard split is high. Combined with this penchant for physicality, he's sort of like a small bullish RB at WR. That said I always imagined him at the Z, and he is the most natural positional replacement for Hollywood Brown on the roster. He by no means has Brown's raw speed, but he is much more physical. For separation purposes, both benefit from being off the LOS to avoid jams.

DynastyNerds is one of my go-tos when it comes to draft time tape watching, they do a great job of editing and usually have games vs the best competition. For Wallace, here is his 2020 tape vs Oklahoma - remember this is the season following his ACL rupture.

In particular look at his catch at 3:36 -- he stops on a dime throwing the CB ahead of him and shows NFL caliber body control keeping himself in bounds. This is the kind of sideline play we should hope from him. Not that he can't also catch over the middle, but working the sidelines is something he can do.
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 06-19-2022 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I always imagined him at the Z, and he is the most natural positional replacement for Hollywood Brown on the roster.
    YES.

Thanks for the vid. Great post.

Blog Entries

While "the new guy" always seems exciting, Duvernay is (and has been) "my guy." I may be wrong, but I think if we unleash Duv we will be more than pleasantly surprised... Bc