Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: CB Kyle Fuller Signed

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Really good signing. I wonder if this means.

1. Peters rehab isn’t going as well as they have expected.

2. They didn’t like what they’ve seen from Damarion Williams and Armor Davis.

Regardless, you can’t have too many corners.
    Or perhaps the end of Smith?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    yeah he was benched last year but kept a good attitude.

Ravens will put him in the slot
    where he actually played well and started for denver down the stretch from what i understand.

I dont think this has much to do with outside, other than he has experience there and can go there in a pinch. Once we see the numbers, im hoping we dont see anywhere near the 9.5m/year he got last year as an outside CB, and hopefully half that as a slot. Honestly if he gets what Jimmy got in I think its on the high side (I believe they reworked his deal into a 2 year deal and added some money for 4.25m average). Jimmy, despite his injuries was still playing outside CB for us at a good level when he signed, and also some safety. I think GWNR is correct that Fuller is the flexible vet role Jimmy had, and will be around that yearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    Or perhaps the end of Smith?
    I dont believe Jimmy was ever part of the plan this year. likely the emergency signing mid season if needed, but otherwise I think hes done. He said hed retire before playing for anybody else, so i dont expect him to sign elsewhere. with wink leaving, its possible hes not even that option. great Raven, really good career. I think people would be discussing him as one of the better CBs of this era if it werent for injury.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Honestly if he gets what Jimmy got in I think its on the high side (I believe they reworked his deal into a 2 year deal and added some money for 4.25m average). Jimmy, despite his injuries was still playing outside CB for us at a good level when he signed, and also some safety. I think GWNR is correct that Fuller is the flexible vet role Jimmy had, and will be around that yearly.
    I hope Fuller's not getting paid that much. That's more than Averett got and Fuller's a CB over 30 coming off a bad year, so there's a reasonably high chance that he's just done. I was thinking it would be closer to vet minimum plus a bit extra.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I hope Fuller's not getting paid that much. That's more than Averett got and Fuller's a CB over 30 coming off a bad year, so there's a reasonably high chance that he's just done. I was thinking it would be closer to vet minimum plus a bit extra.
    Averetts deal doesnt make much sense. I have to assume he chose a team based on chance to start and earn more next year. Meaning he wouldnt have taken the same deal with us. there may have been multi year deals on the table but not enough in his mind. Not sure Id use that as a gauge.

Hes younger than Smith when he got that deal, ands its a few years later. I dont think its crazy at all. vet min for him is around 1.2m. Id love if thats the case, but i dont see that happening for a premium position and a player of his stature. i could see an incentive deal to help with cap purposes, since he and Houston are likely to take up the bulk of whats available.

i really dont see how the team holds onto Clark either. He may have a role possible on the team, but we have other players that can fill that role, cheaper, and he has value. Theres just too much smoke around trade deals that have fallen through and phone calls during the draft to not think its just a matter of time imo. Along with that trade and IF wolfe retires, that may get us to the 3m or so we like to carry in the season for injuries. since Houston isnt on a timeframe to sign early, that gives us time to find a better deal.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

where he actually played well and started for denver down the stretch from what i understand.

I dont think this has much to do with outside, other than he has experience there and can go there in a pinch. Once we see the numbers, im hoping we dont see anywhere near the 9.5m/year he got last year as an outside CB, and hopefully half that as a slot. Honestly if he gets what Jimmy got in I think its on the high side (I believe they reworked his deal into a 2 year deal and added some money for 4.25m average). Jimmy, despite his injuries was still playing outside CB for us at a good level when he signed, and also some safety. I think GWNR is correct that Fuller is the flexible vet role Jimmy had, and will be around that yearly.

I dont believe Jimmy was ever part of the plan this year. likely the emergency signing mid season if needed, but otherwise I think hes done. He said hed retire before playing for anybody else, so i dont expect him to sign elsewhere. with wink leaving, its possible hes not even that option. great Raven, really good career. I think people would be discussing him as one of the better CBs of this era if it werent for injury.
    I have been saying this since the beginning of the thread. Even if Jimmy wan’t a plan this year they STILL have to replace him. All you Nancys worrying about Peters recovery is pointless. Jimmy was our #3, long in the tooth, of injured, he had to be replaced.

I am not sure how so many of you cannot see that simple fact. Instead, drama is the first course of action, logic be damned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I have been saying this since the beginning of the thread. Even if Jimmy wan’t a plan this year they STILL have to replace him. All you Nancys worrying about Peters recovery is pointless. Jimmy was our #3, long in the tooth, of injured, he had to be replaced.

I am not sure how so many of you cannot see that simple fact. Instead, drama is the first course of action, logic be damned.
    Personally i thought Jimmy was still the guy until this signing. maybe he was a fall back option of somesort, but id say this signing says they were looking for an upgrade. Fuller at 30 is likely a better player than Smith at 34.

im assuming most of this is not directed at me.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Personally i thought Jimmy was still the guy until this signing. maybe he was a fall back option of somesort, but id say this signing says they were looking for an upgrade. Fuller at 30 is likely a better player than Smith at 34.

4 years can be a lot of speed differential.

I am generalizing, people get to worked up. If I was having a beer with you I might say the same thing.

Blog Entries

I like this signing. I was hoping Jimmy Smith would return, but Fuller seems to be a much better option.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    From the PFT article:
    Ravens’ secondary should be significantly better than it was in 2021, when the club finished dead last in passing yards allowed.

Still can't believe it whenever I see it in print somewhere

Damn near 1,000 yards of it came from the 2 Bengals games alone. When the AFC champ is in your division and has 3-4 bonafide receiver weapons, you need 3 solid corners.
    Agree, but want to add in Wink's obsession with stopping the run. Yes we were 32nd in passing yards given up, but we also were FIRST in rushing yards given up.

Wink left our secondary unmercifully exposed, as he had gaps controlled and edges set
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/rav/2021.htm
    We were also ranked 3rd in rushing attempts against us.
    We can say that was because our secondary was so bad (and we had an amazing patchwork quilted by EDC) but it can also be said that Wink's precious run obsession was a major contributor. He expected street players to do their jobs, and defended his defense as right and the breakdowns as player's fault.
    While true, it seems to me other DCs would have shifted something. We were tied at 22-24th in sacks and 26-28th in INT.

Yep it was sickening, yep we needed more horses in the secondary, and yes Wink's scheme couldn't adapt to cover flaws.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Harbaugh all but said they were moving on from Jimmy and McPhee early on, either the post-season presser or at the combine, but that he'd let them announce it* for themselves. (*their retirements, probably)

Hes younger than Smith when he got that deal, ands its a few years later. I dont think its crazy at all. vet min for him is around 1.2m. Id love if thats the case, but i dont see that happening for a premium position and a player of his stature.
    I'm not sure stature counts for much for an older CB coming off a down season, when speed seemed to be an issue - according to Denver people. Jimmy didn't have a visible decline like that, he was still good when when healthy the season before every new deal.

Blog Entries

Harbaugh all but said they were moving on from Jimmy and McPhee early on, either the post-season presser or at the combine, but that he'd let them announce it* for themselves. (*their retirements, probably)
    I dont remember hearing that, in particular Jimmy, but i know hes been on the fence for awhile.

I'm not sure stature counts for much for an older CB coming off a down season, when speed seemed to be an issue - according to Denver people. Jimmy didn't have a visible decline like that, he was still good when when healthy the season before every new deal.
    Id say stature plays into it. vet min guys arent usually ex pro-bowlers that we assume have something left in the tank (otherwise why sign them at all). theyre guys like Urban, who were depth players that never quite reached potential, and have their own issues. speed is an issue to consider, but id say if they check that box, theres still a premium on a player thats done it to a high level, coming off one bad year than a faster player thats never done it.

i hope youre right when the numbers come out, but im expecting in the 4m plus/minus 500k. thats also max value, including incentives. and i dont think thats a bad deal for the player he was even last year.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Jimmy is a baller. He belongs in ROH.