Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Is Trey Lance a Bust?

Just wanted to get your take on Trey Lance. I never saw what the hype was about around him and felt that he was a similar prospect as Malik Willis and should have probably been drafted in the third round like Willis. Certainly not with the third overall pick in the first round. Interested in your thoughts.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/do...-in-trey-lance
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Re: Is Trey Lance a Bust?

If you follow the logic of that article then Patrick Mahomes would have been a bust after his rookie season. Mahomes couldn't beat out Alex Smith and the Chiefs didn't move Smith that 1st year of Mahomes to make way.

John Lynch said he's been trying to trade Jimmy G. but the guy is coming of shoulder surgery and teams want to make sure he can throw before they take a $27 million cap hit put draft capital to get him. I certainly wouldn't have traded 3 1st round picks for Trey Lance but with that investment he's going to get a lot of playing time. That's when we'll see just how good he is. Right now I'd give Lance an incomplete. Even after this year it might be tough to tell. Is Trevor Lawrence a bust because he sure looked horrible as a rookie. I think he'll get better but making a judgement based on 1 year is tough.

Blog Entries

He strikes me as a very good athlete - cannon arm, great running and scrambling ability, but not great accuracy.

I don't think they have a choice but move forward with him at this stage, get the run game going and some easy throws to take the pressure off.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Why is Kyle Shanahan so weird

He was never gonna be much his rookie year. Could be Josh Allen tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Why is Kyle Shanahan so weird
    Kyle isn’t HC material. He should just stick to being a OC and do that for the Ravens for the rest of Lamar’s career tbh

Blog Entries

It's way too early for a "Bust" label. here are his rookie stats :

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stat...351/trey-lance

Give him another few years, then revisit the question... Bc

I assumed that they wanted the most raw QB they could find for job security...and to get all the credit if he's successful.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If you follow the logic of that article then Patrick Mahomes would have been a bust after his rookie season. Mahomes couldn't beat out Alex Smith and the Chiefs didn't move Smith that 1st year of Mahomes to make way.

John Lynch said he's been trying to trade Jimmy G. but the guy is coming of shoulder surgery and teams want to make sure he can throw before they take a $27 million cap hit put draft capital to get him. I certainly wouldn't have traded 3 1st round picks for Trey Lance but with that investment he's going to get a lot of playing time. That's when we'll see just how good he is. Right now I'd give Lance an incomplete. Even after this year it might be tough to tell. Is Trevor Lawrence a bust because he sure looked horrible as a rookie. I think he'll get better but making a judgement based on 1 year is tough.
    Bingo.

This is the year we find out about Trey Lance. It's time for him to start. If the organization doesn't, then it means they don't believe in him. Sucks that they missed the boat with trading Jimmy G but they have to sleep in the bed they've made. Meanwhile he can take all the time he needs to get healthy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Bingo.

This is the year we find out about Trey Lance. It's time for him to start. If the organization doesn't, then it means they don't believe in him. Sucks that they missed the boat with trading Jimmy G but they have to sleep in the bed they've made. Meanwhile he can take all the time he needs to get healthy.
    I think the only way Lance starts for the 49ers this year is if Jimmy G. is traded or gets hurt. I don't think he is going to be traded.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If you follow the logic of that article then Patrick Mahomes would have been a bust after his rookie season.
    I’m not going to read the article but on Mina Kimes latest podcast with Field Yates they ranked all the QBs, (Lamar was 7) and though Lance was just a spot or 2 behind Mac Jones they pointed out the most damning evidence against Lance was the 49ers actions this offseason, at no point coming close to dealing Jimmy G. On one hand KC was all in with Mahomes at this point, on the other at best the Niners would get like 20% what KC got for Smith for a guy a drive away from getting them to the Super Bowl last year.

So he is Lamar with a better arm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    He strikes me as a very good athlete - cannon arm, great running and scrambling ability, but not great accuracy.

I don't think they have a choice but move forward with him at this stage, get the run game going and some easy throws to take the pressure off.