Page 4 of 81 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Will Lamar show up to OTA’s this week?

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    Did something prompt this post or is this just just what us Baltimore fans are reduced to in the NFL off-season because MLB is just too damn depressing to have watch a minor league Orioles team another year.
    There’s always WWE I spose
    I forgot OTE’s where this week and I thought “why not another LAmar thread!’

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Well, the O’s did just call up Rutschman which is kind of a big deal.
    True, I hope that’s a spark. It’ll be fun to watch him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by apple1088 View Post
    I forgot OTE’s where this week and I thought “why not another LAmar thread!’
    Lol. At least it wasn’t if Lamar can throw outside! That was last years’ Lamar’s concerns.

Article in the athletic on the Ravens OTA attendance. If you look at the comment section Zerbiac does seem to think there might be something going on if Lamar doasnt come. We will find out soon!

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Well, he has at least two tags until free agency. He would make more in yearly cash and APY on a long term deal though, so that’s not a smart tactic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I dont understand how people dont get this.

They get to keep him through the prime of his career with no commitment or risk associated with inking a 5 year 9 digit contract.

Ravens have the situation in checkmate and this is why he should have had an agent. I love watching Lamar play ball, like everyone else, and i say these things from the pov of what would be best for his bank$$ because right now he is a superstar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AQKingRaven View Post

They get to keep him through the prime of his career with no commitment or risk associated with inking a 5 year 9 digit contract.

Ravens have the situation in checkmate and this is why he should have had an agent. I love watching Lamar play ball, like everyone else, and i say these things from the pov of what would be best for his bank$$ because right now he is a superstar.
    There is one big issue in doing this. The cap hit can't be spread out. If Lamar signs a long term deal his cap number year 1 and year 2 isn't $37 to $40 million. It is under the tag. That's makes management for the team difficult. It can still be done and they'll plan for it but while the Ravens get Lamar in his prime they are less likely to surround him with the talent that they need to win. It's not an ideal situation because it really is tough on the cap

Quote Originally Posted by AQKingRaven View Post

100%
    I cant believe the players association isn’t stepping in and forcing him to get an agent at this point. Doesn’t w Union exist specifically to protect their members from making decisions that ruin their career like this?

If LJ wanted a contract he would have one. Right now he is happy to wait. He might wait all the way past two franchise tags, until he gets to be a free agent. What kind of contract could he get then? A real big one.

The other issue is the future cap size. Right now we are at 2019 numbers. In three years we could be above 300 million. The maximum contract right now is 50 million but I expect it to be higher for several players then.

Five years ago we thought 20 million for any wr was crazy and 40 million for a qb was as well. How do those numbers look now? Had he signed last year, he would be in the 35-40/ per year slot. Today it’s 40/45 or slightly more. But in two years it well could be 55-60/ year. In less than five years his number could honestly go up 20-25 million per year. So I see his no rush to sign. It is a business for him as well. With this years contract, he will be mostly set for life. With two more franchise tag years it will be another few tens of millions in the bank. Then the big money comes. Think about that, I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    If LJ wanted a contract he would have one. Right now he is happy to wait. He might wait all the way past two franchise tags, until he gets to be a free agent. What kind of contract could he get then? A real big one.

The other issue is the future cap size. Right now we are at 2019 numbers. In three years we could be above 300 million. The maximum contract right now is 50 million but I expect it to be higher for several players then.

Five years ago we thought 20 million for any wr was crazy and 40 million for a qb was as well. How do those numbers look now? Had he signed last year, he would be in the 35-40/ per year slot. Today it’s 40/45 or slightly more. But in two years it well could be 55-60/ year. In less than five years his number could honestly go up 20-25 million per year. So I see his no rush to sign. It is a business for him as well. With this years contract, he will be mostly set for life. With two more franchise tag years it will be another few tens of millions in the bank. Then the big money comes. Think about that, I have.
    But wait, half the board tells me his career will be shortened by taking hits running the ball.

There is a LOT that could happen in the next three years that could make getting a huge APY on a long contract unlikely. It is not a smart move. Even if it does happen to work out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    There is one big issue in doing this. The cap hit can't be spread out. If Lamar signs a long term deal his cap number year 1 and year 2 isn't $37 to $40 million. It is under the tag. That's makes management for the team difficult. It can still be done and they'll plan for it but while the Ravens get Lamar in his prime they are less likely to surround him with the talent that they need to win. It's not an ideal situation because it really is tough on the cap

This is why I think it's unlikely they franchise him once, let alone twice.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I dont disagree with this and it is a negative, but lets take our love and hopes for the man out of the equation. For the loss of flexibilty and yearly planning in regard to the roster to trump not having to sign a multi-year deal we have to assume LJ's health and performance over the next 4ish years and other key players health for that additional signing be the difference maker.

Sure missing out on a few quality FA's for two years isnt cool but the alternative could be sooooo much worse. I'd bet the Ravens couldnt be happier about the situation and they get to "lowball" him and tell fans they keep making him offers but he's not interested to spare our purple hearts the cruel truth. Ravens executives have a combined century's worth of experience dealing in the NFL and they can see further than Lamar can, he really should have had a professional negotiate for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post

This is why I think it's unlikely they franchise him once, let alone twice.
    No, it’s not really true at all.

If he signed a contract today his next two year’s cap numbers would be similar to tag numbers so it’s not that different at all.

I’d they WERE lower( then the two following years would be over $50m.

EDC has generally operated from a first year low ish cap number followed by relatively flat structure, meaning THiS is the only year where the cap number would be appreciably lower on a long term commitment.