Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 LastLast

Re: Why do we believe in Mike Macdonald ?

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanMania View Post
    I'm not saying he was a bad coordinator, but his scheme truly didn't allow for pass rush sacks
    Sure it did. All that blitzing wasn't for show: they were trying to get sacks. Secondarily, force the QB to throw it away.

But Wink had damn little talent at edge rusher. Wink got one season with Za'Darius & Suggs, before they left. From then on he was always trying to cobble together, Judon + someone. Usually an old McPhee or Houston.
    (I'd love to know why Yannick didn't work out.)

Wink would've loved to get to play with a developed Oweh & Ojabo at bookends. And with this secondary? He'd be drooling.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanMania View Post
    When healthy the defense could flourish, but the team had to have a very good secondary, not players off the street.
    That's literally every defense. Maybe the '85 Bears could survive with DBs off the street; they'd knock the starting QB out of the game anyway. Everyone else would struggle.

Rex Ryan's defense completely shit the bed in 2007, when his DBs all got hurt. And that squad had a TON more talent than Wink ever had.

I always like Ted Nguyen. Good piece in The Athletic about Macdonald and the way he communicates his defense.
    https://theathletic.com/3373244/2022...ld-philosophy/

“He’s doing a unique job. … I’ve kind of never experienced it,” cornerback Marlon Humphrey said at minicamp. “He’s really having everybody understand the whole philosophy of mainly just the group of coverages, as opposed to: ‘You got this call. How do you play this call?’ He’s kind of saying, grouping these calls all together, like, ‘What is the whole idea of this call?’ So I think he’s done a really good job of kind of really helping us all be smarter, to where I know what the D-line’s doing. I also know what the linebacker is doing. I also know what the safety’s doing — because, ‘The reason why I call this defense is because of this.’”
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I always like Ted Nguyen. Good piece in The Athletic about Macdonald and the way he communicates his defense.
    I just read this also and believe it does a nice job of responding to the original post. I also agree wholeheartedly that Ted Nguyen is an excellent writer and breaks down complicated strategic information for readers as well as anybody. I make it a point to read him consistently and always come away smarter after doing so.

The piece also predicts Macdonald will play a lot of Cover 6.

That's noteworthy for all the folks who immediately announced the Ravens would be trading Chuck Clark as soon as the team drafted Hamilton (hello, again, Mr. LaCanfora).

Cover 6 uses just two linebackers and instead brings a third safety into the box on the strong side. Makes sense, given the quality and depth at LB versus

It allows them the play more zone on the back end as a deep-throw beater. And it also gets a better coverage guy on the tight end. Where it's weak when the WR runs off the Corner, the TE freezes the box safety, and a little guy catches a pass in the flat. Hamilton's skills, however, should make him ideal to be able to defend both a big TE and hunt to the outside to bring down a speedy guy in the flat. And he may even blitz from the spot.

Looking forward to seeing what they do.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    That was a great read. Thanks for the link.

Bump

Welp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Bump
    Fire him.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Fire him.
    They've been absolutely horrendous

Fuck no. I wasn't a big fan of Wink, but this is a clown show.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    They've been absolutely horrendous
    Won’t happen, but it feels good to say.

Look guys, Jim told John he was awesome. That’s all ya need to know.