Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Landry to the Saints

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    If what you say is correct(I don’t believe it is) then we need a new QB, point blank.

If the ONLY way to win in 2022-2023 is in a passing manner, than we have wasted 5 years on the wrong guy.

Gasoline cars still sell quite well despite All the rules benefiting Electric vehicles in a very similar way to the passing game being prioritized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lamar can throw the ball, it's not a matter of him not being a good enough passer. The issue in the simplest terms as possible is that we don't have the receiving talent to combat a stacked box. Andrews is only effective between the hashes so that is where the bulk of the coverage gets focused against those run stopping alignments.

With Bateman/Hollywood/Andrews and the current OL I wouldn't have a problem. But you ship out Hollywood and now you're back to being a mediocre passing offense when teams combat our running game with numbers in the box. Teams will live with stacking the box and their CB1 on Bateman. If you have a dynamic WR2 against CB2/CB3 type guys with no help now you're creating tangible mismatches in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    We talk ourselves into Greg Roman's offense every single offseason now, "We were ___, in ___"... I'm just over playing this game with an obviously flawed system and philosophy at WR

I wish the current NFL didn't skew so heavy to passing, I wish receiving talent didn't take center stage in the playoffs. But it does. I've said it time and time again, stopping a great running team is a lot easier than stopping a great passing team. Playing the run is a numbers game and playing the pass is a talent game.

If you can't threaten a defense through the air with your talent then you're on the wrong side of a numbers game when they stack the box. Duvernay/Proche can't threaten anyone. They're non-factors. They're the green light for a defense to say "I'm going to take away the run and dare these guys to make us pay".

You take away the middle of the field to stifle Andrews, you put your #1 CB on Bateman. You need your WR2 and WR3 to be able to make a defense pay in those instances and we simply can't right now.
    Just because YOU say it over and over doesn’t make it true…

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Lamar can throw the ball, it's not a matter of him not being a good enough passer. The issue in the simplest terms as possible is that we don't have the receiving talent to combat a stacked box. Andrews is only effective between the hashes so that is where the bulk of the coverage gets focused against those run stopping alignments.

With Bateman/Hollywood/Andrews and the current OL I wouldn't have a problem. But you ship out Hollywood and now you're back to being a mediocre passing offense when teams combat our running game with numbers in the box. Teams will live with stacking the box and their CB1 on Bateman. If you have a dynamic WR2 against CB2/CB3 type guys with no help now you're creating tangible mismatches in coverage.
    How do YOU know?

You don’t…. That’s how…

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    How do you know? Our homegrown guys haven't gotten a chance yet
    Name one homegrown WR that wasn't a 1st round pick that became an impact player. This is the definition of insanity, "Boykin can be a good X, he just needs opportunities". How many times do you make the same mistake and not try something different?

We've seen enough of Duvernay/Proche to know they aren't going to be impact players. There's a role for each, they're competent, but they aren't needle movers. Tylan Wallace is the only guy in the fold that we haven't seen enough of to see what caliber of player he's going to be

The Ravens have rolled with their guys at WR multiple times in the past and it has never worked out. Banging our heads into the wall one more time isn't the solution

How do YOU know?

You don’t…. That’s how…

How do I know what? That Duvernay/Proche aren't good enough to be WR2/WR3 in a Super Bowl winning offense? Because I watched them before the draft and every snap they've played in the NFL in a multi-year sample size. It's like asking how do I KNOW that Trace McSorely will never be a starting NFL QB, I'm making a very strong educated guess based on what I've evaluated.

Nobody KNOWS anything, but we can make good judgement calls based on the information/evaluation we have.

This is tired, but complaining about our Assistant of the year OC isn’t? Imagining away our best regular season, maybe ever isn’t?

I never said anything about that

It's almost like we should've drafted a receiver with one of our 11 draft picks.

But clearly WR doesn't matter for this team, just look at all the deep playoff runs we keep making. It's not like you're playing good offenses/defenses in the playoffs and need to score 30+ at least a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
    It's almost like we should've drafted a receiver with one of our 11 draft picks.

But clearly WR doesn't matter for this team, just look at all the deep playoff runs we keep making. It's not like you're playing good offenses/defenses in the playoffs and need to score 30+ at least a couple times.
    I really think they were going to take one of Wilson/Olave/London at #14 or Treylon Burks at #23 and they burned themselves.

They put all their WR eggs into the Round 1 basket with multiple 1sts and got burned both times

9. Re: Landry to the Saints

Two things....

First, as for WRs coming here. A good, not great, WR is a fool if they dont want to play in our system. Their career would be 3 years longer than in a system like the Cardinals. Thats money in the bank.

Second, as for a top notch WR corps being a must have in todays league, IMHO thats a load of donkey dung. We dont need a great receiver, just a couple good ones. It takes 5 15 yard passes to go from our own 20 to first and goal. Thats all of 50 seconds if you utilize the sidelines. If we are using 2 and 3 TE sets our opponents almost have to put a run defense on the field. That matches those TE up against LBs and there are not a ton of really good coverage backers in the league. If they dont we will be ripping off 25 and 30 yard runs. It only takes 3 of them to be first and goal starting from our own 20.

Those who site the Chargers or Titans playoff games as examples of why our offense wont work are choosing to overlook the fact that our offense had 2 of the poorest execution games we have played since Lamars arrival. Interceptions, fumbles, missed blocks, coverage breakdowns, it was all on display those 2 games. It was like the team had never played together. Even Yanda had a poor game against the Chargers IIRC. Poor by his standards, piss poor by most players.

Jonboy still holding out hope for fatboy Roman to recreate 2019 lol.

As for Landry, who cares? He wasn’t the type of WR we needed. Stop crying over a name.

We need a boundary receiver who can run fast up field. A little enthusiasm to block is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBasedFan View Post
    Two things....

First, as for WRs coming here. A good, not great, WR is a fool if they dont want to play in our system. Their career would be 3 years longer than in a system like the Cardinals. Thats money in the bank.

Second, as for a top notch WR corps being a must have in todays league, IMHO thats a load of donkey dung. We dont need a great receiver, just a couple good ones. It takes 5 15 yard passes to go from our own 20 to first and goal Thats all of 50 seconds if you utilize the sidelines. If we are using 2 and 3 TE sets our opponents almost have to put a run defense on the field. That matches those TE up against LBs and there are not a ton of really good coverage backers in the league. If they dont we will be ripping off 25 and 30 yard runs. It only takes 3 of them to be first and goal starting from our own 20.

Those who site the Chargers or Titans playoff games as examples of why our offense wont work are choosing to overlook the fact that our offense had 2 of the poorest execution games we have played since Lamars arrival. Interceptions, fumbles, missed blocks, coverage breakdowns, it was all on display those 2 games. It was like the team had never played together. Even Yanda had a poor game against the Chargers IIRC. Poor by his standards, piss poor by most players.
    I completely agree with that. Nobody is saying they need DK Metcalf or they're hopeless in the postseason. They need multiple good WR's. Right now they have 1, the FA landscape is dry with Landry gone, the only thing left is the trade market.

Based on the previous M.O. there is very little faith they will trade for a good one. It's far more likely they will sign a guy like TY Hilton who is not going to offer much at this point in his career. They did it with Watkins, Maclin, Dez, ect.

When the Ravens strike out at WR they go into the bargain bin, call it a day, get disappointing results. Rinse and repeat. It's up to Eric to buck that cycle and do something of substance here

I may be the only one in here who feels this way (can’t scroll through 5 pages of bitching to find out), but I’m kinda glad we didn’t sign Landry.

I have concerns about our depth like anyone should, but I want Proche getting targets in the slot, and that’s not happening with Landry on the roster.