Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Impact of Williams/Hamilton on the Defense

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    This! 2 high is the “future”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Idk man, we tend to zig when everybody else zags. They might be trying to replicate the legion of boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Idk man, we tend to zig when everybody else zags. They might be trying to replicate the legion of boom.
    Could be, but 2 high gave Mahomes fits to start this year.

With everyone flocking to the Reid coaching tree on offense, the Brandon Staley tree is the paper to that rock.

I hope we see some of both. Some odd front, some even. Base nickel, but some heavy packages as well. I think we have the personnel to be quite adaptable.

If you look at the best defenses around the league they play a little bit of everything. The best thing Hamilton and Williams give us is more options to counter specific teams that we face, the less predictable we are the better we will be. As much as I like Clark and Stephens as players they are a liability playing deep against teams like Cincinnati. Now we have the right personnel at least in theory to counter any offense we may face instead of relying on man coverage

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    If you look at the best defenses around the league they play a little bit of everything. The best thing Hamilton and Williams give us is more options to counter specific teams that we face, the less predictable we are the better we will be. As much as I like Clark and Stephens as players they are a liability playing deep against teams like Cincinnati. Now we have the right personnel at least in theory to counter any offense we may face instead of relying on man coverage
    This is very true. Don’t sleep on Geno Stone either this year for the 2 high look with Hamilton in the box. He showed pretty good range and playmaking ability last year.

This is very true. Don’t sleep on Geno Stone either this year for the 2 high look with Hamilton in the box. He showed pretty good range and playmaking ability last year.
    That’s a good point, I was impressed by Stone in coverage last year. I think it would be great if he cleaned up his tackling a little bit but if they want Hamilton closer to the line of scrimmage I could see Stone as the third safety. Going from Queen to Hamilton defending the shorter routes in between the hashes should really help us against teams like Pittsburgh that like to get the ball out as quickly as possible, which in turn helps the pass rush. I don’t think people understand how important Mosley was for us in defending that area, just because he wasn’t quite as good at it as Ray or Daryl Smith was. We have consistently gotten abused in that part of the field since he left though.

Blog Entries

Williams can play Deep 1/2. Deep 1/3. Man-to-man on a slot.

Kyle can play Deep 1/2. Deep 1/3. Underneath middle as a robber or lurking middle field S.
    Off the edge in a blitz. Cover TE man-to-man. Nickel backer. Dime backer.

There are so many ways to use them and they're all gonna make the defense better.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

I hope Hamilton can be a star TE neutralizer, like Kelce or Pitts or Kittle or Njoku.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Mac, yes with Marcus Williams playing "Centerfield", it allows Hamilton to roam as a hybrid (ILB/Safety) using one of his greatest characteristics... his football instincts to take over. The middle of the field will be a mine field for opposing offenses... Bc
    After looking at his film studies, that’s kinda what I saw - I think I said a cross between Palamalu and Chancellor. Active and unpredictable in the middle zone like Palamalu, but with the height and wingspan like Chancellor to really be a guy who’s cutting off angles to get to a receiver. Just to keep it unpredictable he could just as easily drop deep and Williams can be a handful up close. Those two are gonna be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    After looking at his film studies, that’s kinda what I saw - I think I said a cross between Palamalu and Chancellor. Active and unpredictable in the middle zone like Palamalu, but with the height and wingspan like Chancellor to really be a guy who’s cutting off angles to get to a receiver. Just to keep it unpredictable he could just as easily drop deep and Williams can be a handful up close. Those two are gonna be a problem.
    I like the Chancellor comparison, another one that makes a lot of sense is Justin Simmons from Denver. Good size and length and a top five safety in the league despite running a 4.6. Chancellor is the only safety I have ever seen who can set the edge against offensive linemen on running plays. If Hamilton can develop that I would be thrilled

I feel as though MW and KH will be interchangeable. They have near identical workout numbers from the combine. MW ran a 4.56. KH has better size but from an athleticism they are pretty close to identical. Because of this the DC is going to have a ton to work with in terms of being creative. They both have good instincts and have shown the ability to make ints. The one thing the Ravens D has missed the last few years is turnovers. Both of them have shown a nose for the ball. If Marcus Peters can come back healthy this defense could be great at taking the ball away. Marcus Williams' success shows you instincts are far more important than athleticism. This team could be amazing on the backend which will help with the pass rush.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Impact of Williams/Hamilton on the Defense

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    I like the Chancellor comparison, another one that makes a lot of sense is Justin Simmons from Denver. Good size and length and a top five safety in the league despite running a 4.6. Chancellor is the only safety I have ever seen who can set the edge against offensive linemen on running plays. If Hamilton can develop that I would be thrilled
    With the great comparisons you two guys made, the Ravens could end up with the top Safety tandem in the NFL ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    With the great comparisons you two guys made, the Ravens could end up with the top Safety tandem in the NFL ... Bc
    Fingers crossed.