Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Welcome to Baltimore Charlie Kolar!

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I thought we would want Kolar to turn into Andrews? I guess i'm a little confused by your second sentence.

Watching Kolar's tape is fun and Iowa State's offense is pretty cool.

They do alot of 2-3 TE stuff. The NFL and Ravens especially use concepts that trickle up from college.
    I remember Roman/Harbs picking up concepts from OU and Louisville during their scouting process on Andrews, OBJ, Marquise and Lamar. And we saw those elements in the Ravens offense.
    Orbit motion screen, screen bluff switch route, Mesh concepts....etc.
    I'm sure they watched some of Iowa States concepts and i wouldn't be surprised if they bring some of them to the offense.

And, based on the tape thus far it seems pretty clear that Kolar is talented enough to warrant their use.

Last year according to Sharp Football:
    The Ravens were only in 12 personnel 9% of the time....which is 2nd least in the league.
    I like the idea of using a 2nd TE as receiving threat for a bunch of reasons due to schematic/match-up advantages and from a team building cost/productivity ratio....in short i think a good 2nd TE is a cheap but impactful asset to have in any offense but especially in this Roman-Harbeckler-Read-Option offense.
    Nobody cared how many receivers New England had when they used Gronk and Hernandez on the field at the same time.

If Kolar and Likely are offensive options this year and can line up with Andrews in 2 TE sets, does it matter if we roll with the receivers we currently have on the roster?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    Nobody cared how many receivers New England had when they used Gronk and Hernandez on the field at the same time.

If Kolar and Likely are offensive options this year and can line up with Andrews in 2 TE sets, does it matter if we roll with the receivers we currently have on the roster?
    Umm.....well yeah....you must be new here right? Welcome to the forum new guy. WRs all day every day and twice on sunday. ;)

Watching Kolar tape is fun stuff regardless...technically a TE is receiver and Kolar does split out wide or in the slot often so kinda is a.... "wide (te) receiver"
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

The Ravens were only in 12 personnel 9% of the time — which is 2nd least in the league.
    I like the idea of using a 2nd TE as receiving threat for a bunch of reasons due to schematic/match-up advantages and from a team building cost/productivity ratio — in short i think a good 2nd TE is a cheap but impactful asset to have in any offense but especially in this Roman-Harbeckler-Read-Option offense.
    I think Roman likes 2-TE sets for running plays because it makes them "ambidextrous" — each side of the formation is a "strong" side. That's fundamental Joe Gibbs stuff. If the 2 TEs are both receiving threats, then the defense has a bad match-up somewhere.

and from a team building cost/productivity ratio
    That's true. If you run a TE-heavy offense, where teams have to have a run-defense personnel oackage on the field, giving your second TE a favorable match-up in the passing game — then that gives you an exploitable market inefficiency. You don't have to bid in the hyper-inflated WR market to have a productive passing attack. That gives you extra cap freedom to spend elsewhere.

It's like when Denver rolled out the zone blocking game in the 90s, and they could profit from all those smallish light-assed but quick O-linemen, that nobody else wanted. Or when Pittsburgh first started using Tweeners as OLBs, and they could for a while get great sack production from players that other teams didn't know how to use.

It's very clever.

I still want Terry McLaurin.

Blog Entries

I thought we would want Kolar to turn into Andrews? I guess i'm a little confused by your second sentence.

Watching Kolar's tape is fun and Iowa State's offense is pretty cool.

They do alot of 2-3 TE stuff. The NFL and Ravens especially use concepts that trickle up from college.
    I remember Roman/Harbs picking up concepts from OU and Louisville during their scouting process on Andrews, OBJ, Marquise and Lamar. And we saw those elements in the Ravens offense.
    Orbit motion screen, screen bluff switch route, Mesh concepts....etc.
    I'm sure they watched some of Iowa States concepts and i wouldn't be surprised if they bring some of them to the offense.

And, based on the tape thus far it seems pretty clear that Kolar is talented enough to warrant their use.

The Ravens were only in 12 personnel 9% of the time....which is 2nd least in the league.
    I like the idea of using a 2nd TE as receiving threat for a bunch of reasons due to schematic/match-up advantages and from a team building cost/productivity ratio....in short i think a good 2nd TE is a cheap but impactful asset to have in any offense but especially in this Roman-Harbeckler-Read-Option offense.
    Some of 2-3 TEs stuff from Iowa vs Oregon

^^What's up w/ QBs missing the backside drag route?
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Charlie Kolar vs Oregon (2020 Fiesta Bowl) 2-3 TE formations

split wide

slot left

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    That's true. If you run a TE-heavy offense, where teams have to have a run-defense personnel oackage on the field, giving your second TE a favorable match-up in the passing game — then that gives you an exploitable market inefficiency. You don't have to bid in the hyper-inflated WR market to have a productive passing attack. That gives you extra cap freedom to spend elsewhere.

It's like when Denver rolled out the zone blocking game in the 90s, and they could profit from all those smallish light-assed but quick O-linemen, that nobody else wanted. Or when Pittsburgh first started using Tweeners as OLBs, and they could for a while get great sack production from players that other teams didn't know how to use.

It's very clever.

I still want Terry McLaurin.
    I realize that there are a lot of circumstances where a TE heavy offense can be very effective but what worries me are the times when you need to go to a one dimensional passing attack to come back or score quickly.

Last season, the narrative that Lamar can't play from behind evaporated once we finally had an NFL caliber WR opposite Hollywood (no offense to Boykin, some offense to Dez) but even Watkins was enough, never mind Bateman. It enabled the passing game to threaten both vertically and horizontally for the first time in Lamar's career.

Would Kolar or Likely split wide be able to do the same? I'm doubtful. If Hayden Hurst, a 1st round TE with a lot more speed than either, wasn't able to give the offense enough of a threat in pure passing situations, can we really expect a couple of 4th round rookies to do it?

Umm.....well yeah....you must be new here right? Welcome to the forum new guy. WRs all day every day and twice on sunday. ;)

Watching Kolar tape is fun stuff regardless...technically a TE is receiver and Kolar does split out wide or in the slot often so kinda is a.... "wide (te) receiver"
    I personally think they value Wallace, Duvernay, and Proche more than people are giving them credit for. If they think they are ready to take the next step, I'd rather see them get a chance than bringing in another veteran receiver that won't play special teams and will bitch about not getting enough targets.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Re: Charlie Kolar vs Oregon (2020 Fiesta Bowl) 2-3 TE formations

slot L tough catch getting down low on a seam route

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    I personally think they value Wallace, Duvernay, and Proche more than people are giving them credit for. If they think they are ready to take the next step, I'd rather see them get a chance than bringing in another veteran receiver that won't play special teams and will bitch about not getting enough targets.
    Don't know what to think of what the Ravens think of the WRs. I assume that they like them because they drafted them. I remember each one of these WRs when they came out and each has something to offer. I had Tylan graded the highest out of the trio, and Duvernay has proved himself on special teams and he's earned the biggest role/most playing time. I want them to get an opportunity and i assume the staff (EDC especially) wants to see what they can do. But the depth chart has some holes and i want to have someone on the team that has done it before just in case....bring them all to camp and let them duke it out. Compete. If one them wants it take it from the veteran that gets brought in.

But, back to Charlie....have you watched his cutups?
    I think they got a player that could allow them to get back to some of the 2-3 TE stuff.

Be interested to hear your view of Charlie compared to Hurst or whomever else.

Blog Entries

I feel like there has t been much pressure on Kolar. I’ve seen some bits on Likely, but nothing on Kolar…

Is something wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I feel like there has t been much pressure on Kolar. I’ve seen some bits on Likely, but nothing on Kolar…

Is something wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nah, It's just that Likely got drafted in the spot where they would have taken Austin so folks are going to put extra scrutiny on the pick. Also, maybe folks are figuring the trend will continue that the 2nd TE turns out to be the better one so they've already moved on from Kolar, lol.