Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 ... LastLast

Re: Welcome to Baltimore Kyle Hamilton!

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Was just coming here to post that
    https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...hange-approach

Tried to find the poster who speculated 2 Edge, 2 CB, 2 OT maybe ahead of him so He was at least 7th,
    Ozzie has him 4th, at worst 5th, who is he ahead of, Cross? which CB? Stingley? or both?
    I agreed with that poster, and Ozzie now tells us to move him a couple of spots higher, WOW.

EDIT- LOL found the poster, it was you!
    So Hutch…. Guarantee.
    I feel like Ickey is the second guarantee.
    Bama’s own Neal has to be the third…

I could see Stingley, Sauce and Kayvon potentially behind behind:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    So Hutch…. Guarantee.
    I feel like Ickey is the second guarantee.
    Bama’s own Neal has to be the third…
    If Hamilton was their 4th/5th rated player then my guess would be: Thibs, Hutch, Stingley/Sauce - Hamilton
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Love this....

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Newsome
    "We rank the board based on the player, not by the position. If he's a good player and he's better than Player B, then he goes ahead. So we don't get caught up in, 'well, you have to have a corner, you have to have a tackle.' The guy's a better player, take the better player. "
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

"We rank the board based on the player, not by the position. If he's a good player and he's better than Player B, then he goes ahead. So we don't get caught up in, 'well, you have to have a corner, you have to have a tackle.' The guy's a better player, take the better player."
    How does that work across positions?
    Lining up all the CBs and saying, "Rank 'em" is easy.
    Next, LBs. Again easy.

But how do you rank a WR against a G?
    Granted, if I'm the WR (and I'm terrible) then the G will be better and the decision will be easy.

If the decision between the 12th and 13th best ILB can be difficult (little daylight between them) then how is possible to distinguish the 22nd best CB from the 7th best QB?

Each player is measured against a stop watch or tape measure -- something objective. That only takes you so far. At some point objective measures must be weighted by subjective position value, right?

I'm wondering how it all works. Once you get the objective data, then you apply your math nerd weights. You now have your baseline athlete measurables.

From there, it's subjective film study. Then, again, how much weight do you place on that. 40% - He Can Play.
    After that is it:
    30% He's an Athlete;
    20% -- He's Got Character; and,
    10% -- I Got a Feeling About This Guy; equals,
    100% Raven.

Picking the "best player" sounds intuitive and seems easy to understand when the difference between players is huge. But as the differences narrow, and narrow across positions -- well, then it seems like a cliche.

Was just coming here to post that
    https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...hange-approach

Tried to find the poster who speculated 2 Edge, 2 CB, 2 OT maybe ahead of him so He was at least 7th,
    Ozzie has him 4th, at worst 5th, who is he ahead of, Cross? which CB? Stingley? or both?
    I agreed with that poster, and Ozzie now tells us to move him a couple of spots higher, WOW.

EDIT- LOL found the poster, it was you!
    It’s cool to be right. Blind squirrels find the occasional nut, and I said he was centered in those players which puts him at three or four. The reason is simply because that’s where he was consistently rated by every public scouting service before the combine and the Ravens wouldn’t give two shits about his combine numbers. They know how fast he was because they can perform analytic analysis from the tapes. If the combine 40 changed your mind about him you are the kindnof unworthy idiot who passes on Orlando Brown, and the Ravens aren’t idiots.

But what really excites me is how satisfied Ozzy sounds when he says he didn’t disappoint. I know he sits in a chair and watches everything in practice, and he gets all the reports and talks to the coaches. These guys know real fast if a player’s got it or doesn’t. This bodes well. Really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy
    We always go with height, weight, and speed - it always starts with that.
    Measurables do matter; it's a myth that they don't. Hence the combine is still a big deal. It's just that these days, teams already have a good idea beforehand. They start with the measurables, and then work off that to sort them out.

Blog Entries

Taking a stab at measurables.
    Oh yes, they certainly do matter. And definitely go into the ranking process. But they are not deal breakers if something is out of line.
    Ray Lewis was said to be shorter than ideal.
    So measurables bends somewhat as the draft progresses.
    With drafting Pepe, height was far less than ideal, but everything else clicked, and he fell to the very end of the 4th round because of it.
    Linderbaum was not Raven ideal weight, but he was BPA on Ravens board over and including the 2 drafted ahead of him (or EDC wouldn’t have traded down giving up Elam and Dallas’ OT, which he probably was pretty certain they would take). And we later learned that the owner wanted the EDGE

EDC has said that people fall because of flaws, especially gets truer in the late rounds.
    Or Mekari not having the ideal arm length but was the best OT we had playing last year on either side.

You gotta know when to hold them and when to fold them. The Ravens put so much work into all levels of their board. We have talked about BPA and BrPA ( best relative player available)
    I suggest that if Koch were 6 years younger we never would have taken Stout, so relativity has some influence.
    The lower the round, the tighter the deviarion.
    The later the round, well we have seen years where they are missing one or 2 late round choices (5th and 7th this year). Last year no 6th and 7th. Doesn’t mean they don’t have players they could take, evidenced by the speed we hear UDFA comitting after the last pick. And the year in year out one of them making the 53.
    Late rounds seems like a roll in craps, no matter how much work they have put into it, but I do really like Badie this years 6th.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Love this....
    "We rank the board based on the player, not by the position. If he's a good player and he's better than Player B, then he goes ahead. So we don't get caught up in, 'well, you have to have a corner, you have to have a tackle.' The guy's a better player, take the better player. "
    that sounds nice and all but I just don't believe it for a second. Take a look at the last few drafts - positions of need almost every early pick. Yes Hamilton fell and they felt it was too good to pass but most picks are to fill a void

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    that sounds nice and all but I just don't believe it for a second. Take a look at the last few drafts - positions of need almost every early pick. Yes Hamilton fell and they felt it was too good to pass but most picks are to fill a void
    I think based on some of DeCosta's comments this only applies to early rounds, like maybe the first 50 (if even that) guys on their board. After that the grades are probably pretty close. That's my take anyhow.
    I think they try to trade out of a pick who is graded high but not considered a big need - ala Derwin James.
    "Find #20 on every play"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    They needed because of the Soljuh trade. The whole thing was a clandestine op to hide the Ravens need for a WR they coveted. He was gone anyway and Linder was the consolation prize; i.e. you “need” a first round pick at virtually any position. Pretty much the only thing off the table at that point would have been a safety. They could have taken and OLB, CB, DT, WR and they would have picked for need, so I don’t necessarily see it that way. I saw Decosta say something about Linder being 1/4” arm length from being a top five prospect, and he was clearly picked below where most boards had him rated, so the idea of reach doesn’t seem applicable.

I was still surprised from a scheme perspective. I was wrong about Hamilton falling and that they might pick Linderbaum because he seemed like a zone scheme kinda guy. In retrospect, a strong twitchy center who can anchor will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by brown2RAVEN View Post
    I think based on some of DeCosta's comments this only applies to early rounds, like maybe the first 50 (if even that) guys on their board. After that the grades are probably pretty close. That's my take anyhow.
    I think they try to trade out of a pick who is graded high but not considered a big need - ala Derwin James.
    So Marquise Brown was the top player on their board at that moment and they weren’t concerned about his position? Same with Hayden Hurst?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They recently had him call in on the Rich Eisen show (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwsU4im4bMI). No juicy gossip or anything in there, but I'm very impressed with how well Kyle speaks, he's a natural.