Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2021222324 ... LastLast

Re: Welcome to Baltimore Kyle Hamilton!

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    So Marquise Brown was the top player on their board at that moment and they weren’t concerned about his position? Same with Hayden Hurst?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

It all depends on how much headroom he has meaning how much room to grow.....Likely had a lot of headroom because you can already see his progress from his college tapes to the kind of routes he's running right now. Granted there's no tackling and it's just practice but you can see the fluidity in this movement that was just potential last year

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

So Marquise Brown was the top player on their board at that moment and they weren’t concerned about his position? Same with Hayden Hurst?

Hollywood - yes
    Hurst - hard to defend that one too much, but they moved around a lot
    "Find #20 on every play"

Quote Originally Posted by brown2RAVEN View Post
    Hollywood - yes
    Hurst - hard to defend that one too much, but they moved around a lot
    It’s quite clear neither we’re BPA picks but instead massive need reaches.

It’s ok to admit that.:.

Blog Entries

Like 2013 - no more Ray or Ed Reed so they use their first two picks on... Matt Elam and Art Brown...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Maybe it’s a good thing we can’t figure it out fully, copycat league, they have to hire our personnel to learn Raven’s ways, but they only get a piece since it is a hive collaboration.

We, myself definitely included, have spent tons of time trying to figure things out. I started thinking in terms of BrPA, best relative player, which seems to help some when we get out of the very low numbers (Hamilton wasn’t relative, he was alone at the top).

Harbs said something years ago about 1 and 1A. So my thinking became tiers and groupings. A level/tier and a ranking within that level. I know something like this exists, because EDC has said if we have 5 players ranked “equally”? We will consider trading back 5 spots and take who falls to us. I think we saw that principle in this years draft, moving from 23 to 25 and picking up pick 130 (Stout). Getting Linderbaum was nice, but my guess is there were at least 3 left in that grouping (Elam was probably one, Linderbaum another, and a couple of possibilities for the 3rd).
    It fits my perception (right or wrong)

Then we search for clues. Peter King gave us one when he revealed Austin picked and Harbs turning to Eric and saying “Likely”?
    That was pick 139, pick 141 was Pepe. It was almost as if the top board pick just poofed, and a new small cluster was up. The only pick between those 2 was OT Tom. There was a TE Okonkwo, but they should have been ranked, and Harbs wouldn’t have been asking between those 2, but between different positions. So my guess is that since a receiver just poofed, a receiver was picked over a CB. But the CB was taken 2nd pick after, so Likely and Pepe were grouped 1 and 1A in whatever tier they had gotten down to.

Thing we are sure of is the Ravens put a ton of time in from a ton of people to get things smoothed over for on the clock decisions. Lot of discussions, simulations, but they get as clear of a detailed picture as possible.

All from one report of a verbal “Likely?”
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

I really hope we didn't have Hurst rated as a better prospect than Lamar; I would almost feel better if that were a reach pick as some people are suggesting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    I really hope we didn't have Hurst rated as a better prospect than Lamar; I would almost feel better if that were a reach pick as some people are suggesting.
    Tough to say, EDC was trading all over the place that year.

One of EDC’s great strengths is anticipating other teams picks, especially the 1st 2 days and to a degree somewhat in the later rounds (evidenced by taking Stout when he felt he had to in order to get him).
    He may have Lamar going later, and traded back into the first to get him at 32. We will never know for sure, but we do know he wasn’t waiting till day 2 to try to get him. No second round and 2 pro bowl players in the 3rd.

Hindsight says taking Hurst over Lamar was stupid. But in that draft, EDC was masterful So I can only conclude he knew where he wanted to go and who he had to take when to get there.
    Lamar was not any significant amount above Hurst on the board of at all. Hindsight says that’s ridiculous. Sites doing re-drafts years later are taking Lamar #1.
    Of course they are! But in 2018 in the heat of the draft, the Ravens traded back up into the 1st to be sure they got him.
    No second rounder, and just a reminder those two 3rd rounders were OBJr and Mandrews.

Like it or not my only conclusion is that Hurst was rated higher than premium position Jackson.
    Hindsight says stupid, but it is what it is, what we saw happen, happened.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Tough to say, EDC was trading all over the place that year.

One of EDC’s great strengths is anticipating other teams picks, especially the 1st 2 days and to a degree somewhat in the later rounds (evidenced by taking Stout when he felt he had to in order to get him).
    He may have Lamar going later, and traded back into the first to get him at 32. We will never know for sure, but we do know he wasn’t waiting till day 2 to try to get him. No second round and 2 pro bowl players in the 3rd.

Hindsight says taking Hurst over Lamar was stupid. But in that draft, EDC was masterful So I can only conclude he knew where he wanted to go and who he had to take when to get there.
    Lamar was not any significant amount above Hurst on the board of at all. Hindsight says that’s ridiculous. Sites doing re-drafts years later are taking Lamar #1.
    Of course they are! But in 2018 in the heat of the draft, the Ravens traded back up into the 1st to be sure they got him.
    No second rounder, and just a reminder those two 3rd rounders were OBJr and Mandrews.

Like it or not my only conclusion is that Hurst was rated higher than premium position Jackson.
    Hindsight says stupid, but it is what it is, what we saw happen, happened.
    Lamar, hurst, Andrews, were all part of Ozzie Newsomes final draft as General Manager. I am all for EDC getting his due as the GM, see the Photoshops, but it was Ozzie that made those picks officially.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Lamar, hurst, Andrews, were all part of Ozzie Newsomes final draft as General Manager. I am all for EDC getting his due as the GM, see the Photoshops, but it was Ozzie that made those picks officially.
    Oops, got a fact wrong. Acknowledging EDC was only the assistant. Thanks ��

But still, the point I was making still stands.
    Ozzie’s board had Hurst higher than Lamar , as idiotic as that sounds years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Oops, got a fact wrong. Acknowledging EDC was only the assistant. Thanks ��

But still, the point I was making still stands.
    Ozzie’s board had Hurst higher than Lamar , as idiotic as that sounds years later.
    I would point out that it looked stupid (to me) at the time, as well. Hurst was a good tight end with little or no upside at age 25 already. Not a potentially franchise altering quarterback. I guess it depends on whether you were zeroed in on Lamar prior to the draft. The problem I had with the way they handled it is:

If they felt like Lamar was good enough to take at 32 then they should have taken him at 16, and again when they made the Hurst pick instead. Everything worked out but they could have easily lost him. Sorry if I'm on a tangent.

It's quite clear based on how they talk about Hollywood, particularly EDC, that they were very high on him.