Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Dumbest Generation Wallows In Mediocrity And Self-Pity

In Mark Bauerlein’s ‘The Dumbest Generation Grows Up,’ the notable English professor offers a bleak but accurate diagnosis of the millennial generation’s problems.

https://thefederalist.com/2022/04/18...and-self-pity/

Re: The Dumbest Generation Wallows In Mediocrity And Self-Pity

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    In Mark Bauerlein’s ‘The Dumbest Generation Grows Up,’ the notable English professor offers a bleak but accurate diagnosis of the millennial generation’s problems.

https://thefederalist.com/2022/04/18...and-self-pity/
    I'm sure two massive recessions, and massively higher school and housing costs than previous generations didn't impact things at all...

The vanity stuff I see more as gen z, but then again older people seem to just consider anyone younger than 40 a millennial (see tide pod challenge for example).

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    I'm sure two massive recessions, and massively higher school and housing costs than previous generations didn't impact things at all...

The vanity stuff I see more as gen z, but then again older people seem to just consider anyone younger than 40 a millennial (see tide pod challenge for example).

Prior to the latest housing binge buying homes for sale could sit on market for months. It was after covid people went looking.

Blog Entries

I have my issues with millennials (and Gen X, Y and Z too for that matter). But shitting on them for the way they respond to conditions we created is kind of unfair, imo.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Prior to the latest housing binge buying homes for sale could sit on market for months. It was after covid people went looking.
    I was pretty pumped to refi my way out of pmi given the explosion in home prices. Not going to lie.

It's easy to shit on the millenials. There was however an undeniable and massive transfer of wealth to my generation and above from everyone below that occurred as a result of the housing crisis. They essentially have gotten stuck with the bill in the form of over-inflated housing prices of which those of us who bought prior to that spike are beneficiaries.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    It's easy to shit on the millenials. There was however an undeniable and massive transfer of wealth to my generation and above from everyone below that occurred as a result of the housing crisis. They essentially have gotten stuck with the bill in the form of over-inflated housing prices of which those of us who bought prior to that spike are beneficiaries.
    I don’t understand this point at all. Housing market pricing hit lows in 2012 which would put the millennial right in the proper age range to become home owners

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    I don’t understand this point at all. Housing market pricing hit lows in 2012 which would put the millennial right in the proper age range to become home owners
    I bought my first home in 1997 and sold it 5 years later for 80% profit.
    I rolled that into my next home wich appreciated another 55% within 5 years.
    I bought a condo at the shore in 2002 that appreciated 250% between 2002 and 2005.

In the late 90's the Clinton admin decided the concept of credit was racist. George Bush picked up that ball and ran with "Everyone should own a home". It was a goal of his admin too.

I'm not an economist but I'm pretty sure all that money being handed out to people who really were not qualified based on credit had something to do with that bubble.

After the housing bubble/crisis there was never really a substantial correction.

I bought a condo at the shore in 2002 that appreciated 250% between 2002 and 2005.

In the late 90's the Clinton admin decided the concept of credit was racist. George Bush picked up that ball and ran with "Everyone should own a home". It was a goal of his admin too.

I'm not an economist but I'm pretty sure all that money being handed out to people who really were not qualified based on credit had something to do with that bubble.

After the housing bubble/crisis there was never really a substantial correction.

Sure there was. After people lost their homes they were resold at actual value which was a lot less.

10. Re: The Dumbest Generation Wallows In Mediocrity And Self-Pity

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Sure there was. After people lost their homes they were resold at actual value which was a lot less.
    Yeah....many short sales littered the country. Basically, the mortgage companies take whatever they can get. And they did.

You happened to have good timing. That doesn’t mean millennials got screwed. Most weren’t in a home buying place when the market bubble hit. But many were when it bottomed out in 2012. They could certainly be enjoying the current boom. Sorry housing market is not an excuse for whatever problems millennials may have. (Though im not really sure ehat they are based on the original article, which just seemed to basically say millennials are stupid but didn’t really go into life circumstances)

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    You happened to have good timing.
    Yes, this is 100% true. Housing prices had been flat and dipping for a decade or so when I bought. It's sheer luck on my part that I got a home when I did.

The one mistake I would say I did make was not being aggressive enough. My first home was a starter and in hindsight I could have afforded something bigger and that would have paid dividends. However, I am lucky I got in when I did.

I am wrong and there was a correction, however I don't think salaries have kept track with home prices in this area, in fact I don't think that's even debatable.