Page 288 of 333 FirstFirst ... 286287288289290 ... LastLast
Results 3,445 to 3,456 of 3995
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: Orioles Opening Day

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    The lineup has the bats to never really be out of a game. I just wish the damn Yankees would drop a couple games. This pace is pretty ridiculous.
    Well they did just blow a save today for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    ??? The Yankees rotation is maybe marginally better than the Orioles. Certainly not a wide margin. At least not tat this point. Burnes, Bradish, Grayson, Irvin, and Suarez are all pitching very well.

I'll put our top 3 against any other top 3.
    The Yankees rotation is maybe marginally better than the Orioles
    After a closer look ok- there's no wide margin between both starting rotations. So, I'll dial back on that statement. In fact, in terms of ERA the O's current starting rotation is better than the Yankees. Quite remarkable, considering the Os have TWO original starters out long term. That speaks volumes for the Os depth and development.

The Yankees (currently) do have a better collective pitching staff than the rest of the league, however. But let's hope that what happened today with their blown save keeps on happening.

Let's Go O's!

It's a long season. All it takes is an injury. Look at the Braves. What happens IF Judge or Soto gets injured?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    It's a long season. All it takes is an injury. Look at the Braves. What happens IF Judge or Soto gets injured?
    If the Orioles lose Henderson or Rutschman (knock on wood they don't), they still have a playoff roster.

If the Yankees lose Judge or Soto, they might not. They'd still have the pitching but the offense will plummet.

That's the difference in the positional depth between the teams.

Blog Entries

Stowers, Urias, Hays, Holliday, Norby, Kjerstad, and Coby Mayo....

Those are some quality players to have as depth.

I know Urias isn't a spring chicken (he's 30), but he's playing well. Norby, Stowers, and Hays have shown they belong. Holliday will get there, he's only 20. Coby Mayo could be the best prospect the O's have in Triple-A.

Heston Kjerstad is interesting. He has a big bat, but he needs to work on his fielding. I can see him having a spot as a DH.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Bradish vs Suarez tonight @ 7:05. I do believe Suarez has the best ERA in the Majors right now. Kyle has tossed some dominant games we are going to need one tonight. Cant wait!!

We've been watching some truly historic dominance of our beloved O's dominance over the AL East since last April:

"Orioles’ amazing AL East series streak is most impressive run of division-play era

By Jayson Stark
    Jun 14, 2024

Editor’s note: This is a Weird and Wild short. To read this week’s full Weird and Wild column, go here.

It was back on April 9, 2023, when this seemingly uneventful thing happened in Baltimore.

Why would we roll that back? Because that was the final out of the last series the Orioles lost against any of the four other teams in their division, the American League East. That was an incredible 432 days ago.

And what has happened since? Oh, only something historic and unfathomable: The Orioles have played 21 consecutive series against teams in their division without losing any of them.

They’ve won 15 of those series. They’ve split six. But to lose none of them — against teams this good? That’s astonishing.

So how historic and astonishing is it? I asked my friends from STATS Perform to take a look.

Since the dawn of division play — and the invention of the AL East — in 1969, only three other teams have navigated 21 consecutive series against their division without losing a series of any length.
    1969-70

Reds

NL West

Reds

NL West

1998-2000

Braves

NL East

2023-24

Orioles

AL East

So we’re just talking two incarnations of the fabled Big Red Machine, plus the Braves quasi-dynasty of the 1990s and early 2000s. And that’s it — kind of. If we want to overlook one-game “series,” we can add one more team — Robin Yount/Paul Molitor’s 1991-92 Brewers, then playing in the AL East. Their streak was also 21 in a row.

But that’s the whole list. Not pictured: the powerhouse 1998 Yankees, 2001 Mariners, 2018 Red Sox, 1986 Mets or any other behemoth you want to toss out there. It’s just four teams in more than half a century … plus these Orioles. And none of the other four got to 22 series in a row — while the Orioles’ streak remains alive and well.

Hold on, though. There’s more. The Orioles have won 15 of those 21 series. And the only other team on this list that won that many was the 1998-2000 Braves, who went 17-0-4. But now let’s dig in further — because we haven’t even gotten to the most important part:

I think you can make the case that this is the most impressive streak of the entire division-play era.

And how would we make that case? Easy. Just look at how good the other teams in the division were against everybody else.
    2023-24 Orioles

441-322*

+119
    1969-70 Reds

274-310

1991-92 Brewers

441-479

1998-00 Braves

365-407

1975 Reds

309-372

(*through June 11)
    (Source: STATS Perform)

So those other four teams ripped off their streaks against teams that were 179 games under .500 against everyone else. The Orioles, on the other hand, have spun off their streak — and gone 46-22 against their division — while playing teams that have a better record over the last two years than the Astros … except while they’re playing the Orioles.

The point, then, is that not all streaks are created equal. And we’re just beginning to contemplate the magnitude of this streak.

But wait. This is about to get even better. Next week, from Tuesday through Thursday, the Orioles will try to become the first team in this era to extend one of these streaks to 22 series in a row … by rolling into Yankee Stadium to face the Yankees. Perfect.

Baseball! Writing one spectacular script after another, every week of every season."

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/556...ithout-losing/
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    If the Orioles lose Henderson or Rutschman (knock on wood they don't), they still have a playoff roster.

If the Yankees lose Judge or Soto, they might not. They'd still have the pitching but the offense will plummet.

That's the difference in the positional depth between the teams.
    Exactly. Soto has been tearing the cover off the ball and we saw what happened in the past when Judge has been out. Those two are the catalysts. Just like with the Braves losing Acuna and the Phillies losing Realmuto IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    We've been watching some truly historic dominance of our beloved O's dominance over the AL East since last April:

"Orioles’ amazing AL East series streak is most impressive run of division-play era

By Jayson Stark
    Jun 14, 2024

Editor’s note: This is a Weird and Wild short. To read this week’s full Weird and Wild column, go here.

It was back on April 9, 2023, when this seemingly uneventful thing happened in Baltimore.

Why would we roll that back? Because that was the final out of the last series the Orioles lost against any of the four other teams in their division, the American League East. That was an incredible 432 days ago.

And what has happened since? Oh, only something historic and unfathomable: The Orioles have played 21 consecutive series against teams in their division without losing any of them.

They’ve won 15 of those series. They’ve split six. But to lose none of them — against teams this good? That’s astonishing.

So how historic and astonishing is it? I asked my friends from STATS Perform to take a look.

Since the dawn of division play — and the invention of the AL East — in 1969, only three other teams have navigated 21 consecutive series against their division without losing a series of any length.
    1969-70

Reds

NL West

Reds

NL West

1998-2000

Braves

NL East

2023-24

Orioles

AL East

So we’re just talking two incarnations of the fabled Big Red Machine, plus the Braves quasi-dynasty of the 1990s and early 2000s. And that’s it — kind of. If we want to overlook one-game “series,” we can add one more team — Robin Yount/Paul Molitor’s 1991-92 Brewers, then playing in the AL East. Their streak was also 21 in a row.

But that’s the whole list. Not pictured: the powerhouse 1998 Yankees, 2001 Mariners, 2018 Red Sox, 1986 Mets or any other behemoth you want to toss out there. It’s just four teams in more than half a century … plus these Orioles. And none of the other four got to 22 series in a row — while the Orioles’ streak remains alive and well.

Hold on, though. There’s more. The Orioles have won 15 of those 21 series. And the only other team on this list that won that many was the 1998-2000 Braves, who went 17-0-4. But now let’s dig in further — because we haven’t even gotten to the most important part:

I think you can make the case that this is the most impressive streak of the entire division-play era.

And how would we make that case? Easy. Just look at how good the other teams in the division were against everybody else.
    2023-24 Orioles

441-322*

+119
    1969-70 Reds

274-310

1991-92 Brewers

441-479

1998-00 Braves

365-407

1975 Reds

309-372

(*through June 11)
    (Source: STATS Perform)

So those other four teams ripped off their streaks against teams that were 179 games under .500 against everyone else. The Orioles, on the other hand, have spun off their streak — and gone 46-22 against their division — while playing teams that have a better record over the last two years than the Astros … except while they’re playing the Orioles.

The point, then, is that not all streaks are created equal. And we’re just beginning to contemplate the magnitude of this streak.

But wait. This is about to get even better. Next week, from Tuesday through Thursday, the Orioles will try to become the first team in this era to extend one of these streaks to 22 series in a row … by rolling into Yankee Stadium to face the Yankees. Perfect.

Baseball! Writing one spectacular script after another, every week of every season."

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/556...ithout-losing/
    Two tough series coming up, the Phillies(top record in baseball) and the Yankees(2nd best record). This is the toughest stretch of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Exactly. Soto has been tearing the cover off the ball and we saw what happened in the past when Judge has been out. Those two are the catalysts. Just like with the Braves losing Acuna and the Phillies losing Realmuto IMO.
    Yeah it surprised me with how badly the offense responded to losing Acuna, especially since he wasn't having that good a season by his standards (slugging just .365). Everybody except Marcell Ozuna is scuffling.

It's only been three games for Philly and they're 1-2. Losing Realmuto hurts but they'll be okay offensively. It's the pitching staff that may suffer most. They'll be looking to acquire a catcher by the deadline, I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Yeah it surprised me with how badly the offense responded to losing Acuna, especially since he wasn't having that good a season by his standards (slugging just .365). Everybody except Marcell Ozuna is scuffling.

It's only been three games for Philly and they're 1-2. Losing Realmuto hurts but they'll be okay offensively. It's the pitching staff that may suffer most. They'll be looking to acquire a catcher by the deadline, I bet.
    Exactly. It's like us losing Rutschman. They are both more than just offensive weapons. Two of the best all around catchers in the league.

Bradish looks like he tweaked the elbow again. Pitching health is a problem.