Page 270 of 292 FirstFirst ... 268269270271272 ... LastLast
Results 3,229 to 3,240 of 3499

Re: OT: Orioles Opening Day

Terrible to yank a guy with a no hitter. Guess I just remember old time baseball when guys weren't so fragile and managers weren't so frightened, mostly the latter. Actually, today's guys have better training, nutrition, conditioning, the works yet are considered big successes if they throw 5-6 innings. The bar has really been lowered. I could just see Nolan Ryan getting yanked after 7 and 103 pitches. I'm sure he'll play the good team player but you know Bradish is pissed.

I also wished they would have left him in. At least we got a 4 game sweep!

33-18 is exactly where the were a year ago. This team should have 40 wins. Sweeping the Sox was a lot of work and they finally started looking last year’s team again, but the Yanks aren’t losing so all they’re doing is keeping pace like with last year’s Rays. The Cardinals series need not be mentioned, thankfully they course corrected.

Burnes/Bradish is good as anything out there, Gunnar is Gunnar, Adley is clutch, and the other hibernating hitters are starting to wake up. Mateo’s nice season has been an unexpected surprise. Bullpen is just going to be a dicey proposition every time, and they’ll likely need more big late inning hits. Be good to see some division games it feels like they’ve been playing everyone but their division. All in all, not bad at the Memorial Day point.

Yanks lost today too so back to only 2 games back with a lot of divisional games coming up

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    “No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference.”

― Tommy Lasorda
    True and things don't look good with the decisions Hyde has been making recently. Hopefully he changes up things and learns from his mistakes.

It was a start to see him changing up the lineup and moving players around in the order.

It was nice to see us getting back on a streak. Also nice to see a few changes. Now we have a long stretch.

We get Boston for 3 then a day off and then we have the Rays. Things get tough then.

In June we have a stretch where we have 20 straight game days w/o a day off.

Here's hoping Hyde makes some changes with the lineup, maybe rotate some players.

We can't afford to play 3 or more players batting in the .200 range or lower.

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Terrible to yank a guy with a no hitter. Guess I just remember old time baseball when guys weren't so fragile and managers weren't so frightened, mostly the latter. Actually, today's guys have better training, nutrition, conditioning, the works yet are considered big successes if they throw 5-6 innings. The bar has really been lowered.
    Teams weren't putting millions of guaranteed dollars into pitchers' arms in old time baseball, and even though Bradish has a relatively low contract, it would be insane to leave him out there after 103 pitches. A UCL strain in his throwing elbow had him inactive until 3 weeks ago. 90 pitches had been his biggest outing so far, and to throw 2 more innings would have put him up around 125+. No need to do that when he has an entire season ahead of him. He's a key to the Orioles season, not just one game. I would say that it's terrible to leave a guy in at that point.

Also pitchers generally throw harder these days so there is more wear and tear in a game.

I attended a fair number of games in the day and was fortunate to see Palmer's no-hitter in which he threw 142 pitches (just a few weeks after being on the injured list with a sore back). I doubt we will see a repeat of such a performance.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Teams weren't putting millions of guaranteed dollars into pitchers' arms in old time baseball, and even though Bradish has a relatively low contract, it would be insane to leave him out there after 103 pitches. A UCL strain in his throwing elbow had him inactive until 3 weeks ago. 90 pitches had been his biggest outing so far, and to throw 2 more innings would have put him up around 125+. No need to do that when he has an entire season ahead of him. He's a key to the Orioles season, not just one game. I would say that it's terrible to leave a guy in at that point.
    I think you ask Bradish how he feels. If he's good, you give him a shot at it. If he gives up a hit or is throwing an inordinate number of pitches, you can take him out. No hitters don't come along often.

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    Also pitchers generally throw harder these days so there is more wear and tear in a game.

I attended a fair number of games in the day and was fortunate to see Palmer's no-hitter in which he threw 142 pitches (just a few weeks after being on the injured list with a sore back). I doubt we will see a repeat of such a performance.
    The guys throw harder because they are generally bigger and stronger but the relative wear on them is not much different than it was for guys 30-40 years ago and they have much better conditioning now. If Palmer could throw 142 pitches, Bradish could certainly throw 128-30 which is where he would have been based on his first 7 innings.

Good to see Tate is back. He will be a huge help to the bullpen. Would have been nice to have signed Hader as the closer and they could have been the 8th + 9th inning rotation. After a couple bad outings at the start of the season, Hader has thrown great for the last 2 months. His ERA is 2.00 and WHIP is 0.75 with 37 K's. After the sweep by the Cards, it was good to see the O's play good against the very sad White Sox. It is a long season, and it will be interesting to see what happens in the playoffs. Last season was a terrible finish after all the buildup during the regular season. Go O's!!

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    The guys throw harder because they are generally bigger and stronger but the relative wear on them is not much different than it was for guys 30-40 years ago and they have much better conditioning now. If Palmer could throw 142 pitches, Bradish could certainly throw 128-30 which is where he would have been based on his first 7 innings.
    Not just coming off an injury should it have even been considered with a rested bullpen. No hitters are a nice thing for the pitcher to say I threw a no hitter, but it’s not worth blowing his arm out so that he becomes the next John Means.