Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2022 O's

Re: 2022 O's

This team is no playoff team and def no World Series contender but how can you not love the fight this team has in them? Austin Hays is all heart and you can see his passion. We need to add a few talented pieces and we are right there competing for the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consider pitcher Nick Vespa. Drafted by the Orioles in 2015 in the 18th round. Took SEVEN long years for his major league debut. He was outstanding in relief. His family in attendance (including three extremely pretty young ladies), he pitched two very strong innings earning his first victory 8-6 over the defending AL champs which broke a 15-game losing streak to the Rays.

CCx

30 wins months ahead of the teams of prior years.

4. Re: 2022 O's

How about them Orioles. Very competitive and one more win from a winning month since 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern_Shore_Fan View Post
    How about them Orioles. Very competitive and one more win from a winning month since 2017.
    Three out of four from the White Sox !

The pitching has been outstanding the last week or so.

Don’t worry about Lopez’s consecutive blown saves in Minnesota. He’ll learn and bounce back. (Besides, it is usually a mistake to let a closer pitch a day game after a night game.) What is important is what was accomplished in the Twin Cities :

(1) Watkins, Lyles and Wells post quality starts (one run each) against a first-place team on the road.
    (2) Along with Kremer, we have four solid starters (assuming Watkins keeps it up) in a rotation without Means.
    (3) An Orioles team ERA under 4.00 in early July for first time since … it has to be at least 2014.

CCx

Can’t find any mention anywhere of the significance of the Orioles’ 3.99 team ERA this far into the season. IMHO that one statistic is far more important than their win-loss record. Far more important because it represents a giant step towards becoming a legitimate playoff contender.

Pitching is still the name of the game. The most important objective in 2022 is building a pitching staff for the future. After the trading of Cole Sulser and Tanner Scott, the only decent relievers from the horrendous 2021 bullpen, I fully expected another year of frustration in the pitching department. Starting pitching was even more depressing. But now, all of the pieces appear to be at least beginning to come together.

I’m not suggesting that the both the rotation and bullpen are now complete. But Elias is clearly rebuilding in the right direction. You have to be both good and lucky. More major changes are needed to compete within the AL East. Moving back the left field wall (and sacrificing seats) was the first major change. I have a hunch that more are forthcoming.

CCx
    Last edited by Corvus Corax; 07-03-2022 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    Can’t find any mention anywhere of the significance of the Orioles’ 3.99 team ERA this far into the season. IMHO that one statistic is far more important than their win-loss record. Far more important because it represents a giant step towards becoming a legitimate playoff contender.

Pitching is still the name of the game. The most important objective in 2022 is building a pitching staff for the future. After the trading of Cole Sulser and Tanner Scott, the only decent relievers from the horrendous 2021 bullpen, I fully expected another year of frustration in the pitching department. Starting pitching was even more depressing. But now, all of the pieces appear to be at least beginning to come together.

I’m not suggesting that the both the rotation and bullpen are now complete. But Elias is clearly rebuilding in the right direction. You have to be both good and lucky. More major changes are needed to compete within the AL East. Moving back the left field wall (and sacrificing seats) was the first major change. I have a hunch that more are forthcoming.

CCx
    This team is fun to watch. Odor keeps the mojo in the clubhouse. Hays is a fiesty player, Mullins is playing some serious CF of late and Adley learning how to handle the bat at the MLB is getting things really exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    This team is fun to watch. Odor keeps the mojo in the clubhouse. Hays is a fiesty player, Mullins is playing some serious CF of late and Adley learning how to handle the bat at the MLB is getting things really exciting.

Don't look now, but the O's are only 2 games under .500 at 42-44, and only 3 games back from a wildcard spot.
    Yeah, I know it's only mid-July, but that's a significant step in the right direction, especially considering we've been without our #1 starting pitcher, John Means.

Sent from my ass using Tapatalk

Very soon we’re going to find out if this team is a legitimate contender THIS season. After the Cubs, we have 10 consecutive games versus the Rays and the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Don't look now, but the O's are only 2 games under .500 at 42-44, and only 3 games back from a wildcard spot.
    Yeah, I know it's only mid-July, but that's a significant step in the right direction, especially considering we've been without our #1 starting pitcher, John Means.

Sent from my ass using Tapatalk
    Oh god don't start looking at that wildcard slot lol. Just roll with the flow.
    I don't know a lot but I know a little

Good article (only one I had access to) on the rebuild versus wildcard potential.

https://www.camdenchat.com/platform/...-analysis-2022