Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2022 O's

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Re: 2022 O's

My only concern at this point is can we retain these players and not have to worry about Rutschman, etc., wearing pinstripes down the road.

2. Re: 2022 O's

The Os are at .500 in July and you can personally thank me for not attending a single game since last month lol

I’m lovin it. Might not attend a game again this season just so I don’t jinx it

NOW, it gets very interesting. The next ten games versus Tampa Bay and NYY will tell us a lot about this team. Even 5-5 would be enough to establish that we can compete in the AL East THIS season.

CCx

On the subject of a balanced schedule, here’s a major issue I have with MLB alignment - and it’s a very old one:

Why do we need divisions at all?

It seemed to make sense in 1969 when divisions were introduced. The NFL went that route in 1967. MLB wanted a playoff format. So they created the ALCS and NLCS. BUT the NFL can’t employ a balanced schedule. Rival NFL teams play each other twice a season; so divisions or conferences were needed to ensure that happens.

Without divisions a balanced schedule makes perfect sense. What better way is there to determine the best team in each league. Also, haven’t we had enough interleague play? Initially, it was a novelty but the novelty has worn off. The World Series used to be special as being the only time of the year when the two leagues played each other (ASG for individuals, not teams).

Bottom line:

Let’s return to the 1968 format. Two completely separate leagues, no divisions, with a balanced schedule in both. The only difference would be the playoff format: first plays fourth, second plays third, and the winners meet in the LCS. Top four teams in each league is enough.

CCx

5. Re: 2022 O's

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    Here is where the thread belongs.

Prediction:

72-90 with team era of 4.85.
    How’s this looking so far?

6. Re: 2022 O's

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    65-70 wins

Bullpen looked solid yesterday.
    Means looked ok but pitch count got way to high early. Will be some growing pains as the prospects start to see time at the ML level but I think this year is the transition year to finding out what we have and don’t have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How’s this prediction looking?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern_Shore_Fan View Post
    How’s this looking so far?
    Let’s hope (obviously) that 72-90 is way below the real outcome. I picked those numbers because I had a hunch they would show significant improvement over last season (20 more wins). I picked a team ERA of 4.85 because that was exactly 100 points below last season (5.85).

Now, it doesn’t seem that unrealistic that the final numbers could actually show an improvement that’s DOUBLED over my estimate (i.e., 92-70 and era of 3.85). That would be FORTY more wins and 200 points less in ERA.

Right now, it’s more likely that the final tally is around 87-89 wins (similar to 2016) while clinching the third wild card.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    Let’s hope (obviously) that 72-90 is way below the real outcome. I picked those numbers because I had a hunch they would show significant improvement over last season (20 more wins). I picked a team ERA of 4.85 because that was exactly 100 points below last season (5.85).

Now, it doesn’t seem that unrealistic that the final numbers could actually show an improvement that’s DOUBLED over my estimate (i.e., 92-70 and era of 3.85). That would be FORTY more wins and 200 points less in ERA.

Right now, it’s more likely that the final tally is around 87-89 wins (similar to 2016) while clinching the third wild card.
    If someone would have said that to me in March, I would have asked for some of what they were drinking, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr3206 View Post
    If someone would have said that to me in March, I would have asked for some of what they were drinking, lol.
    You mean you haven’t heard of orange Kool Aid?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern_Shore_Fan View Post
    How’s this prediction looking?
    Not good at all and I’m happier than one can imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the attention on the wildcard standings is understandable BUT I find it a bit tedious. Once you land in the third wildcard slot, it isn’t worth celebrating. The reason being, obviously, it only matters if you don’t drop out of that slot. With the race so tight, and competing teams with unequal number of games played, the only really important factor is the number of losses.

For the Orioles, with close to a month and a half remaining, what should be their focus is the standings in the AL East. GETTING INTO THIRD PLACE is what truly matters. Taking care of business against the Red Sox this weekend is what matters. Leapfrogging over the Blue Jays is what matters. THEN, staying in third place is ultimately what matters the most.

Cannot clinch a wildcard berth otherwise. The only other prerequisite is to finish with a better record than at least one of the second place finishers in the West or Central.

Keep it simple.

CCx

I am very pleasantly surprised how the season has gone. Wait until next year when they have 3 new starters. Grayson, DL, and Means coming back.