Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Faalele

1. Re: Daniel Faalele

Yes to Faalele.

Re: Daniel Faalele

Here's my Evaluation of Faalele. It's only a shallow eval, but I think he's an easy one to evaluate.

Daniel Faalele, #78, Right OT, Minnesota

Strengths:
    • Passes the Eye test and then some (6’9, 380 lbs)
    • Built very well with good distribution of weight in upper and lower body
    • Upper body strength is clearly superior (3rd Q, 7:18 vs Ohio St.)
    • Can keep his pads low on drive blocks only (2nd Q 3:33 vs Ohio St.)
    • Despite lack of hip explosiveness and drive, he can drive his legs well once locked on (1st Q 3:09 vs Neb)
    • Eventually understood how to seal the edge on outside run plays (2nd Q 13:47 vs Neb)
    Weaknesses:
    • For some reason wasn’t able to lockdown the starting job on the right side. Was frequently substituted by #77
    • Doesn’t know how to adapt mentally to the defensive presentation post snap (2nd Q, 6:32 vs Ohio St.)
    • Clear lack of core strength, low pad level, good base stance (2nd Q, 4:13 vs Ohio St., 3rd Q 11:28 vs Ohio St.)
    • Routinely loses the hand placement battle (3rd Q, 8:37 vs Ohio St., 1st Q 6:36 vs Neb)
    • In pass sets, he will drop his post foot and open up his hips to the QB (2nd Q, 1:28 vs Ohio St.)
    • Most likely has weaker legs or has hip and ankle inflexibility. He’s routinely bending at the waist in his stance prior to the snap and will play with a high pad level (3rd Q, 7:18 vs Ohio St., 4th Q 12:11 vs Ohio St., 4th Q 8:39 vs Ohio St.)
    • Too slow climbing to the 2nd level (3rd Q, 5:12 vs Ohio St.)
    • Despite great upper body strength, he has poor lower body strength and explosiveness, struggles to move even undersized LB’s off LOS (3rd Q, 4:30 vs Ohio St., 1st Q 9:19 vs Neb, 1st Q 3:09 vs Neb)
    • Lunges forward on outside zone reach block, takes poor first step (4th Q 11:25 vs Ohio St.)

Analysis:
    Faalele is clearly a lumbering mountain of raw potential who is new to the sport. He is built amazingly well for a man his size. Terrific weight distribution, big strong upper body with big strong hands to match. His upper body alone won him some matchups while in college. He does also have some natural athleticism to him which can be seen when executing simple movement patterns or simple tasks/blocks. He also showed the ability to learn as the season progresses. With all of that being said, He can struggle to adapt to defensive schemes and blitzes on the fly both before and during the play. He seems to have a clear lack of core strength as he has a tendency to end up on the ground from a good hit from the defender, and its also seen when he's in his stance and just executing various movements. He’s too slow footed and it shows in almost all of his movements.

Grade:
    Mid to late 4th
    I don’t mind drafting based on raw potential but not before the 3rd round and even then I would be hesitant to draft on potential in the 3rd round. He’s pretty much potential with a good OT body. Slow feet, poor posture, poor hand placement, bends at the waist instead of the knees, not explosive in his lower body. He’s just too raw for me. T.J. Watt will absolutely beat him repeatedly just on speed and hand fighting. Myles Garret should be able to overpower him with a good bull rush. In the Ohio St. game I literally saw him knocked to the ground 5 times. He’s certainly progressed since last year, but he’s still a project who shouldn't see the field until his 3rd or 4th year.
    Last edited by BRfan96; 01-27-2022 at 10:35 PM.

I will say, an OT prospect that no one is talking about that I actually think will be great is Max Mitchell from the Louisiana Rajun Cajun's. I've got a full report done on him. He's one of my favorite OL prospects in this class.

Quote Originally Posted by BRfan96 View Post
    I will say, an OT prospect that no one is talking about that I actually think will be great is Max Mitchell from the Louisiana Rajun Cajun's. I've got a full report done on him. He's one of my favorite OL prospects in this class.
    Dude yes

Here's my Evaluation of Faalele. It's only a shallow eval, but I think he's an easy one to evaluate.

Daniel Faalele, #78, Right OT, Minnesota

Strengths:
    • Passes the Eye test and then some (6’9, 380 lbs)
    • Built very well with good distribution of weight in upper and lower body
    • Upper body strength is clearly superior (3rd Q, 7:18 vs Ohio St.)
    • Can keep his pads low on drive blocks only (2nd Q 3:33 vs Ohio St.)
    • Despite lack of hip explosiveness and drive, he can drive his legs well once locked on (1st Q 3:09 vs Neb)
    • Eventually understood how to seal the edge on outside run plays (2nd Q 13:47 vs Neb)
    Weaknesses:
    • For some reason wasn’t able to lockdown the starting job on the right side. Was frequently substituted by #77
    • Doesn’t know how to adapt mentally to the defensive presentation post snap (2nd Q, 6:32 vs Ohio St.)
    • Clear lack of core strength, low pad level, good base stance (2nd Q, 4:13 vs Ohio St., 3rd Q 11:28 vs Ohio St.)
    • Routinely loses the hand placement battle (3rd Q, 8:37 vs Ohio St., 1st Q 6:36 vs Neb)
    • In pass sets, he will drop his post foot and open up his hips to the QB (2nd Q, 1:28 vs Ohio St.)
    • Most likely has weaker legs or has hip and ankle inflexibility. He’s routinely bending at the waist in his stance prior to the snap and will play with a high pad level (3rd Q, 7:18 vs Ohio St., 4th Q 12:11 vs Ohio St., 4th Q 8:39 vs Ohio St.)
    • Too slow climbing to the 2nd level (3rd Q, 5:12 vs Ohio St.)
    • Despite great upper body strength, he has poor lower body strength and explosiveness, struggles to move even undersized LB’s off LOS (3rd Q, 4:30 vs Ohio St., 1st Q 9:19 vs Neb, 1st Q 3:09 vs Neb)
    • Lunges forward on outside zone reach block, takes poor first step (4th Q 11:25 vs Ohio St.)

Analysis:
    Faalele is clearly a lumbering mountain of raw potential who is new to the sport. He is built amazingly well for a man his size. Terrific weight distribution, big strong upper body with big strong hands to match. His upper body alone won him some matchups while in college. He does also have some natural athleticism to him which can be seen when executing simple movement patterns or simple tasks/blocks. He also showed the ability to learn as the season progresses. With all of that being said, He can struggle to adapt to defensive schemes and blitzes on the fly both before and during the play. He seems to have a clear lack of core strength as he has a tendency to end up on the ground from a good hit from the defender, and its also seen when he's in his stance and just executing various movements. He’s too slow footed and it shows in almost all of his movements.

Grade:
    Mid to late 4th
    I don’t mind drafting based on raw potential but not before the 3rd round and even then I would be hesitant to draft on potential in the 3rd round. He’s pretty much potential with a good OT body. Slow feet, poor posture, poor hand placement, bends at the waist instead of the knees, not explosive in his lower body. He’s just too raw for me. T.J. Watt will absolutely beat him repeatedly just on speed and hand fighting. Myles Garret should be able to overpower him with a good bull rush. In the Ohio St. game I literally saw him knocked to the ground 5 times. He’s certainly progressed since last year, but he’s still a project who shouldn't see the field until his 3rd or 4th year.
    Good post. It seems to fit with what the draft analysts say about Faalele, that he's a year or two away from playing.

I wonder if people are just scouting his body type a bit? ( Although that worked for Spencer Brown.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Good post. It seems to fit with what the draft analysts say about Faalele, that he's a year or two away from playing.

I wonder if people are just scouting his body type a bit? ( Although that worked for Spencer Brown.)
    tend to agree and yes, good report

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

7. Re: Daniel Faalele

I think that's exactly what it is. He's big so he fits. Mehhhh. He's a big lump of clay that ain't ready.

Besides Mitchell, (who I like a lot), another later round OT I like is 6’6” 330# Tyler Smith out of Tulsa.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Blog Entries

I really like the Kentucky OT Darian Kinnard who just declared for the draft the other day. He's another massive man who can really move. I watch a lot of SEC and Kinnard really stood out. He was constantly running up to the second level and plowing through defenders to open up holes for the runners. He's not a bad pass blocker either but definitely more power than finesse.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I really like the Kentucky OT Darian Kinnard who just declared for the draft the other day. He's another massive man who can really move. I watch a lot of SEC and Kinnard really stood out. He was constantly running up to the second level and plowing through defenders to open up holes for the runners. He's not a bad pass blocker either but definitely more power than finesse.

Kinnard def has that nasty streak….just seems he’s better suited to me as a G. Maybe an emergency T. I like him, if he can be a T.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

I think the people on this board are reminded of Orlando Jr. and to be fair they do actually look similar if you pop on the tape. But, you could pull up my old OBJ report, OBJ was so much better technically and had more experience. Yes, OBJ sucked at the combine and I expect Daniel will do well, but as a FOOTBALL PLAYER OBJ was better. It's easy to get lazy with OL evals because people will judge alot based on eye test, but there's so much more to it than that.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee414 View Post
    Besides Mitchell, (who I like a lot), another later round OT I like is 6’6” 330# Tyler Smith out of Tulsa.
    100% agree with you. Tyler smith to me is another under the radar prospect that I looked at. Smith and Mitchell are my 2 under the radar guys that I like. Honestly, based on my evaluation of both Smith could be a 1st rounder and Mitchell could be a 2nd rounder. I like them both and hope the Ravens can steal them in a later round.