Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you like to see the NFL implement a Draft Lottery?

With the NBA already doing this and MLB seriously considering it, would you like to see the NFL implement a Draft Lottery?

Re: Would you like to see the NFL implement a Draft Lottery?

A Draft Lottery would be yet another reason for NFL fans to tune in to an exciting event, especially for non-playoff teams. Even if the Ravens (picking 14th) had as little as a 2% chance to jump into the top 3 or 4 picks, I'd be watching. =)

Blog Entries

I am personally not in favor of an NFL draft lottery, because I don't think it is needed. Because of revenue sharing and the salary cap, the NFL doesn't have as large of a resource disparity between large market teams and small market teams. Subsequently, the NFL doesn't have as much of a problem of teams intentionally tanking games/season, which is why there would be a need for a draft lottery in the first place. The NFL has done a much better job of maintaining competitive parity among the teams in their league compared to the NBA and MLB.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I am personally not in favor of an NFL draft lottery, because I don't think it is needed. Because of revenue sharing and the salary cap, the NFL doesn't have as large of a resource disparity between large market teams and small market teams. Subsequently, the NFL doesn't have as much of a problem of teams intentionally tanking games/season, which is why there would be a need for a draft lottery in the first place. The NFL has done a much better job of maintaining competitive parity among the teams in their league compared to the NBA and MLB.
    Well said, and you're spot on as to why I don't think we'll see it. However, I think it could bring another exciting element to a great product. I'd be happy to see it, despite recognizing that the likelihood is low.

It cuts both ways. I’d be pretty annoyed if we lost some spots because of bad luck

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    It cuts both ways. I’d be pretty annoyed if we lost some spots because of bad luck
    I have no idea how the other leagues structure their lotteries, but if the NFL had a lottery that covered all non-playoff teams you could always flip the order after the 1st round, then flip it again at some point later to balance out the total value of each teams picks. That way basically all non-playoff teams would receive similar draft capital and no one would get screwed by bad luck.

I'd really prefer a system like this. I find it annoying when the Ravens are out of the playoff hunt and I'm pulling for the team to win but I also know they'd technically be better off long term if they lost. It's bad for the fan experience, and it's just a bad design for a competition to create incentives for teams to lose, even if teams aren't abusing it.

We're against the coin flip in overtime but you want a draft lottery? Football is not a game of chance.

Blog Entries

HELL NO.

Idiotic for a sport that prizes parity.

No

No to a draft lottery. You would get a team trading for another teams first round pick and having that pick hit in the lottery as the number one over all pick. So a great team could end up drafting the best player in the draft because of a trade nit because they deserve to get more talent because they suck.

A change needs to be made but not in draft lottery.

How it SHOULD go is the #1 overall pick should go to the team with the best record that missed the postseason, making its way down to the team with the worst record then the playoff teams from bottom to top as normal. This keeps teams fighting for a good draft pick all the way to the end and we aren't constantly rewarding top 3 picks to garbage organizations like the bungholes. They've done nothing to deserve both burrow and chase besides play like trash.

The one thing to remember - PLAYERS AREN'T THE ONES TANKING.

Players are playing for their continued employment in the league and will be giving everything they have.

Only Management is the one tanking - playing lesser talent in games or making knowing bad decisions.