Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 ... LastLast

Re: Mike MacDonald - New DC

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentinaRaven View Post
    ojabo is a clone of oweh, with the body biotype that the Ravens love to use De/Olb, he can close the edge, he can go down to coverage, he can rush the passer, his rise in the draft was thanks to the system used by the new DC, we need a player at that position.
    I don't know what other Michigan defensive player would be a better fit.
    Daxton Hill bby.
    https://youtu.be/mQ8NogBDtVA

Blog Entries

I think Wink had pretty good defensive schemes, but you've got to take advantage of your best players best attributes. The fact that Za'Smith, Judon, and Ngakoue went on to (at least seemingly) thrive on their new teams tells me a lot. Statement for the press : Sacks do matter! I was thinking "are we going to waste Oweh", and see him as a 6 sack a year man, then he leaves as a FA and doubles that number? I don't like to see guys fired, but it surely seemed to me time to change the Ravens defensive philosophy... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Davesta View Post
    Both of 'em. Draft Ojabo and trade up for Hill.

That still would not address the biggest need however in interior DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I will defend Wink a bit here to say that his scheme valued versatility more than sacks, and I still think fans over-value sacks. I won't go through my entire reasoning again. But in short, wins are not awarded to the team that gets the most sacks.

The fact is, the Ravens had a top ranked defense for a couple years under Wink . When it worked, it worked well.

I could point out that Bowser had more sacks per snaps played this year than Judon did in NE.

Keeping Wink's defense humming comes with a lot of dependancies. Emphasis on run stoppers. Versatile LBs and other positions. Man-coverage CBs. Smart vets who can communicate complex reads and assignments to keep it coordinated. Depth to rotate and mix and match defenders.

Meaning, as injuries struck, it became increasingly difficult to feed his machine with the right talent. More so than most any other defense out there.

So, the way I see it is that his defense has a huge upside and challenges opponents when it's working, but is hard to keep running when the parts start to break. I equated it to an exotic sports car. Expensive to maintain, hard to find parts, difficult to work on.
    Agreed on all counts. Most important appears to be top level CB play. And right off the bat, losing Marcus Peters put a big dent in that. Humphrey was carrying a lot of load out there but then he also went down. Wink needs the pieces for his scheme to work.

Blog Entries

You can no longer play defense in the NFL anyway, so who cares who the DC is? These are not the days of Marvin Lewis or Rex Ryan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    You can no longer play defense in the NFL anyway, so who cares who the DC is? These are not the days of Marvin Lewis or Rex Ryan.
    Complete nonsense.

Blog Entries

That is way extreme. Did you watch the 49ers recently? Without defense that team doesn't sniff the playoffs.

If defense was really dead then why are teams trading so much for Jalen Ramsey and Von Miller and Jamal Adams and Frank Clark? Why were defensive players the top paid free agents last year? Obviously NFL teams don't believe you can't play defense and they telling you that with how they are allocating their resources.

8. Re: Mike MacDonald - New DC

MacDonald is okay but the Ravens could have went for Kevin Steele who shut down SEC offenses when he was the defensive coordinator at Auburn from 2016-2020. Michigan got hammered by SEC Georgia Bulldogs. Well Maryland hired him as DC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Complete nonsense.
    Did you watch Bills-Chiefs? That is the future of the NFL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That is way extreme. Did you watch the 49ers recently? Without defense that team doesn't sniff the playoffs.

If defense was really dead then why are teams trading so much for Jalen Ramsey and Von Miller and Jamal Adams and Frank Clark? Why were defensive players the top paid free agents last year? Obviously NFL teams don't believe you can't play defense and they telling you that with how they are allocating their resources.
    You still have old timers running NFL teams who think you need to invest in defense. My point is that you will never see again a team win the SB by relying on defense. This is just the nature of where the league is, for better or worse. Personally, I miss seeing dominating defenses.

Blog Entries

You still have old timers running NFL teams who think you need to invest in defense. My point is that you will never see again a team win the SB by relying on defense. This is just the nature of where the league is, for better or worse. Personally, I miss seeing dominating defenses.
    did you happen to watch last year's SB? Because that defense was lit

https://www.nfl.com/news/what-we-lea...-super-bowl-lv

Todd Bowles was the true MVP of Super Bowl LV. The Buccaneers defensive coordinator called a masterful game that had Patrick Mahomes scrambling for his life and holding the ball, and gave the Chiefs no deep shots. Bowles dropped safeties deep to negate Tyreek Hill's speed and funnel everything underneath. The Bucs were ready for Andy Reid's normal counter, sniffing out every screen K.C. tried. Devin White was a menace, discombobulating every snap. Lavonte David helped smother Travis Kelce. Blanketing the field deep, not allowing a completion of 20-plus air yards to an offense that feasts off such plays, the Bucs controlled the game. The most dominant aspect of the game came from Tampa's defensive front, which throttled an injured Chiefs O-line. The Bucs often were through the line a second after the snap, causing Mahomes to retreat on first step. Tampa destroyed backup Chiefs offensive tackles with Shaquil Barrett constantly in Mahomes' face. The Bucs pressured Mahomes on 32.7% of his snaps while only blitzing on five snaps, per Next Gen Stats. The Bucs held Mahomes to 114 yards through three quarters and kept the Chiefs out of the end zone, earning two INTs of the star QB. It was as thorough a beating as Mahomes has experienced, and the first double-digit loss of his NFL career.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

"Injured Chiefs o-line" is an understatement.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk