Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Post season trend thus far

So far, even for the losing teams, the trend in my eyes thus far is the defensive lines for these teams.

AFC:
    TEN
    KC
    BUF
    CIN
    NE
    LV
    PIT

NFC:
    GB
    TB
    LAR
    DAL
    ARI
    SF
    PHI

Almost all of these teams, and especially the ones that played this weekend, all have absolutely fantastic front 4's that constant pressure throughout the game. With the exception of maybe Arizona, all of these playoff teams have terrific defensive lineman that can get after the QB. Just thought I'd point it out.

Re: Post season trend thus far

Quote Originally Posted by BRfan96 View Post
    So far, even for the losing teams, the trend in my eyes thus far is the defensive lines for these teams.

AFC:
    TEN
    KC
    BUF
    CIN
    NE
    LV
    PIT

NFC:
    GB
    TB
    LAR
    DAL
    ARI
    SF
    PHI

Almost all of these teams, and especially the ones that played this weekend, all have absolutely fantastic front 4's that constant pressure throughout the game. With the exception of maybe Arizona, all of these playoff teams have terrific defensive lineman that can get after the QB. Just thought I'd point it out.
    Oweh?

It's the rules of the current NFL.

Defensive backs can't touch WRs, can't tackle them either above the waist or below the waist, can't even give them dirty looks without drawing a flag. i.e. by rule they're not allowed to defend.

But the DL... the rules still allow for pass rush. Sure, once you reach the quarterback you have to pack him in soft cotton, lay him down gently and sing him a lullabye, but you are still allowed to do that, and it counts as a sack. (Not overrated, BTW).

The rules still allow DL to (mostly) play the game, so they matter most. I wish the Ravens would pick up on that.

Blog Entries

The trend is even more specific. These teams have defensive lineman who can create inside pressure. It's not all edge rushers. You are seeing guys rush from the inside and often go out and push right past the Tackle. It's not all blitzing to get pressure. We're seeing the big guys handle the o-lines.

Now on the flip side, both the Bengals and 49ers won despite all the hits. The Titans and Packers did a great job getting to the QB and it didn't win the games. Having a QB who rolls with the punches and keeps going is winning football.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post

Defensive backs can't touch WRs, can't tackle them either above the waist or below the waist, can't even give them dirty looks without drawing a flag. i.e. by rule they're not allowed to defend.

But the DL... the rules still allow for pass rush. Sure, once you reach the quarterback you have to pack him in soft cotton, lay him down gently and sing him a lullabye, but you are still allowed to do that, and it counts as a sack. (Not overrated, BTW).

The rules still allow DL to (mostly) play the game, so they matter most. I wish the Ravens would pick up on that.
    There's a lot of truth to this. game continues to evolve in favor of the offense with the exception of the trenches

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Completely agree. The rules favor pass rush over coverage. This season all the best defenses are lead by great D lines. Coverage still matters, but not as much as it did, even last season. You just need your DBs to hold up well enough to give your pass rush time to operate.

That's why I don't like suggestions that the Ravens should draft a Corner or Safety with their first pick. I hope and trust that EDC has kept up with trends in the league and will take a DT or Edge at 14.

Blog Entries

Angry Re: Post season trend thus far

Eventually, D-backs will have to ask for permission before tackling a receiver.

SMH... Bc

Blog Entries

Don't forget that 2 of the 3 interceptions the Bengals created were because the DB hit the receiver and the ball popped up in the air. Those were physical plays in the secondary, especially the Mike Hilton interception. I do agree that we didn't see the endless PI calls at the end of those games like we're used to because of the pass rush but there was plenty of tough and physical play from those defensive backs in both games.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Don't forget that 2 of the 3 interceptions the Bengals created were because the DB hit the receiver and the ball popped up in the air. Those were physical plays in the secondary, especially the Mike Hilton interception. I do agree that we didn't see the endless PI calls at the end of those games like we're used to because of the pass rush but there was plenty of tough and physical play from those defensive backs in both games.
    They do officiate games a bit looser in the playoffs, it's true, but with the regular season trending the other way, the threshold for a flag will still be lower than it used to be in the post season, as we get used to seeing certain things flagged.

Blog Entries

Here is another trend from this season that I noticed. Good kickers matter. Both games yesterday were won with great kicks that were not gimmes. Last week Robbie Gould was 3 for 3 including 2 from over 50. Dan Carlson and Evan McPherson traded field goals all game. Having a top kicker is critical and luckily we have the best of them all.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Completely agree. The rules favor pass rush over coverage. This season all the best defenses are lead by great D lines. Coverage still matters, but not as much as it did, even last season. You just need your DBs to hold up well enough to give your pass rush time to operate.

That's why I don't like suggestions that the Ravens should draft a Corner or Safety with their first pick. I hope and trust that EDC has kept up with trends in the league and will take a DT or Edge at 14.
    They need to get Chuck Clark an appointment with the best ophthalmologist they can. He's in place to make interceptions, he just drops them.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

The games tend to come down to the last possession.

Teams should take note and have game ending drive plans for 5 minutes 3 minutes in addition to the 2min drill and 1 min drill.

Designs should be to burn clock and not hand it back. Not score too early.

The regular season too.

The NFL wants this.