Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Jordan Davis is 21

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Who’s ready for a super bowl run? The Ravens are not close to it.
    I don’t see it that way at all. They were a top contender going into the season. Going toe to toe with Aaron Rogers with mostly backups speaks to a team that just needs some healing, 10 new rookies a select signing here or there. Let Lamar take another step forward and screw everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Davis is not Haloti Ngata. He's a little taller and heavier but Davis is not the athlete that Ngata was. Could Jordan Davis end up as good as Derrick Brown of the Panthers? I don't think he has 1st step but they do play similar. I wouldn't hate the pick at #14 but I don't really like it either especially if one of the top 3 Corners is still on the board at #14.
    I don't think we're ready to go corner that high when we still have Peters, Hump, Young, and Averett. Just have to avoid freak injuries this time around at that position.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I don't think we're ready to go corner that high when we still have Peters, Hump, Young, and Averett. Just have to avoid freak injuries this time around at that position.
    Averett is a UFA. Young is a definite cut candidate, although I believe ultimately his contract is just restructured and extended. Smith might go one more year but that is almost certainly going to be the last I would think. Also in the secondary Elliott is UFA. Corner is a definite need, perhaps not as much as DL but it’s pretty close.

We also have virtually no corners on rookie deals. They need to start restocking that spot heavily.

An underrated thing when it comes to the draft is not just drafting talent but trying to draft ‘cap space’. There’s a huge advantage of hitting a high end qb/corner/tackle/wr/edge versus all the other positions like run stopping DL or interior linemen, because you are essentially saving a lot more cap space by hitting on those high end positions and securing a 5th year option versus the positions with lower average second contract salaries. Hit on those guys in the first round and sign the lower average salary second contract guys in FA.
    Last edited by JonAB; 01-22-2022 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Averett is a UFA. Young is a definite cut candidate, although I believe ultimately his contract is just restructured and extended. Smith might go one more year but that is almost certainly going to be the last I would think. Also in the secondary Elliott is UFA. Corner is a definite need, perhaps not as much as DL but it’s pretty close.

We also have virtually no corners on rookie deals. They need to start restocking that spot heavily.

An underrated thing when it comes to the draft is not just drafting talent but trying to draft ‘cap space’. There’s a huge advantage of hitting a high end qb/corner/tackle/wr/edge versus all the other positions like run stopping DL or interior linemen, because you are essentially saving a lot more cap space by hitting on those high end positions and securing a 5th year option versus the positions with lower average second contract salaries. Hit on those guys in the first round and sign the lower average salary second contract guys in FA.
    I'm definitely with you on the idea of drafting high salary positions early but I think first rounders should make an immediate impact. Our big needs, OT and DT, can both be high salary positions (if you hit on the player.) Edge is another high cost position that would make more immediate impact.

With Peters and Humphrey as starting outside corners, we don't need to use a first on a slot corner or an outside corner who'd force Marlon back inside. The later rounds are fine for adding rookie contracts and youth to the position group.

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post

I do have us drafting two safeties, time to move on from Joker who can't stay healthy. Trading down or just straight up drafting Daxton Hill would be a pleasure too.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Davis is not Haloti Ngata. He's a little taller and heavier but Davis is not the athlete that Ngata was. Could Jordan Davis end up as good as Derrick Brown of the Panthers? I don't think he has 1st step but they do play similar. I wouldn't hate the pick at #14 but I don't really like it either especially if one of the top 3 Corners is still on the board at #14.
    Who’s your third corner? I got Stingley and Gardner but not a third corner in the top half.

Davis is a beast.

I think 14 is early but I would not hate that pick at all.

Center from Iowa is still my favorite prospect at the moment at 14

Watching Simmons destroy the Bengals O Line for Tennessee. That's exactly the type of player I want and 14 should be the right sort of spot to get one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Watching Simmons destroy the Bengals O Line for Tennessee. That's exactly the type of player I want and 14 should be the right sort of spot to get one of those.
    Preach.

He is #14 worthy if you suck against the run and need a guy who can immediately make your run defense legit.
    I don't see the Ravens as that team even with Williams and Campbell likely gone.
    I do however think that if they traded back and picked up additional picks and he was there in the 20's....you could definitely do worse than him there.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Problem is, I don't believe there is a Jeffery Simmons in this draft. Closest is probably DeMarvin Leal.

Blog Entries

If we end up drafting him it would be quite entertaining to have two behemoths on both sides of the ball from Georgia. Cleveland vs Davis during TC would be a sight to see.