Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: The OL could be solid next season without significant investment

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I originally wasn't in favor of bringing Houston back, but now with the Achilles injury to Bowser, bringing Houston back just became a lot more important. I like Tavon, but am worried about extending a player that misses as much time due to injury as he does. I think Campbell is going to retire, but if he doesn't I would be in favor of bringing either him or BWill back on a one year contract. I would keep Powers this upcoming year as a depth player on the OL. IMO, getting a day 3 pick for him is less important than having that depth in place.

The Ravens need to really have a thorough medical evaluation of Stanley and James's conditions by late March. Both of those guys should be able to move around pretty well by then. If they are looking like they will be ready, then I want the Ravens to draft a DL in the first round, and then draft an OT in the second round. If Stanley and/or James looks like they might not be ready for the start of next season, then take an OT in the first round.
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Jenson, Yanda, Gaither, Wagner, Cleveland, Zeus jr.....

These are just some of the guys the Ravens have drafted in the middle to late rounds. The Ravens can find gems on the OL like the Steelers do with WRs.
    They can find great OL help in the middle rounds, but none of those were instant starters. I think Yanda was the closest, and it took until week 5, iirc. So, we can draft middle round OL, but we shouldn't expect them to start until the second half of next year, if not the year after. That'll mean we need legit starters at those positions until the rookies can pan out.

Jenson, Yanda, Gaither, Wagner, Cleveland, Zeus jr.....

These are just some of the guys the Ravens have drafted in the middle to late rounds. The Ravens can find gems on the OL like the Steelers do with WRs.
    Ben Bredeson. Tyre Phillips. Nico Siragusa. Alex Lewis.

Those days have gone. The Ravens don't have a big intelligence gap over the rest of the league anymore. Most of the truly dumb GMs are gone, so the Ravens don't find late round gems more often than any other team these days, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I agree that the Ravens need to draft an OT early, but just think that the first round might be overkill if Stanley and James are ready to go next season. That is why I said they should take a OT in the second round. The Ravens should still be able to get a very good player there, but still allow them to take an impact DL in the first round.
    Totally on board with that strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    It's nice to agree with you for a change.
    Likewise!

I certainly would draft an OT high. Maybe night first round, but not 4th either. Then I'd draft another tackle, this one could be in the 4th.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

They need tackles but I wouldn't do much with the interior except some depth. If Bozeman is re-signed, you're set. If he leaves then it's Mekari's job. Regardless they need 2 additional tackles and preferably one who can play on the left side.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Ben Bredeson. Tyre Phillips. Nico Siragusa. Alex Lewis.

Those days have gone. The Ravens don't have a big intelligence gap over the rest of the league anymore. Most of the truly dumb GMs are gone, so the Ravens don't find late round gems more often than any other team these days, sadly.
    Huh? Their 6th round center is about to get paid so much that the Ravens likely can't afford him and they are likely going to replace him with an undrafted guy in Mekari. No one ever said they hit on 100% of their guys but they pick good players in the late rounds on the o-line. Bredeson has started games for the Giants and Lewis signed a second contract with the Jets before retiring because he got hurt too much. Those guys can all play.
    Last edited by s.r.genovese; 01-20-2022 at 03:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Opinion from a simple man : I disagree with the premise of this thread, IMO the Ravens O-line does need significant investment. We don't know how Stanley (our LT) or Mekari (our new RT) will be recovering. Bozeman is no lock to resign here, so unless the Ravens have faith in Colon, we'll need a Center (assuming Mekari is not switched back). I don't have the slightest idea what EDC will do in FA, but he must address the O-line significantly in the upcoming NFL Draft or LJ8 (our most valuable asset), and our running game, will suffer greatly... Bc

IMO the Ravens could let Bozeman walk and move Mekari back to C. I think Mekari's improved play at RT is more to do with the development of him as a player rather than being better suited as a tackle. I have said it before, Mekari is better on the inside with his kind of size and core strength. If he can improve his snapping in the offseason, you already have your starting C who could even be an upgrade over the less athletic Bozeman.

I really liked what I seen from Cleveland down the stretch. I think with a full offseason, he could really improve on his weaknesses and become a good starting LG on this line. He is similar to a Brandon Brooks who started as a part time rotation player for the Texans and ended up becoming a pro bowl calibre guard. I think you keep Ben Powers on the roster as an insurance policy, because Cleveland was quite injury prone in 2021.

Zeitler had a very solid season, let's hope that continues into next season.

The biggest question is at both tackle spots... let's hope that Stanley comes back and is finally over this terrible injury and let's also hope that JuWan comes back from his ACL because he is an above average RT and could be a big upgrade over AV or Tyree Phillips. We could also draft a a swing tackle with one of our top 3 picks (maybe take an Orlando Brown type in the 3rd rd?)... you also have Sharpe who could provide some depth.

So with some luck (we will need some huge luck considering the fact that it seems to be impossible for us not to have significant injuries every offseason)... we could field a top 10/top 5 OL with a starting unit of...

Stanley-Cleveland-Mekari-Zeitler-James

And that's without spending much capital. We should be spending most of our capital on an ageing front 7 in the offseason. We need to become a top 5 defense once again.
    You're relying on two injured guys to start at tackle and that won't fly. You're right though, gotta rebuild the trenches and that's starting with Jordan Davis in the first and two tackles to follow IMO

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Opinion from a simple man : I disagree with the premise of this thread, IMO the Ravens O-line does need significant investment. We don't know how Stanley (our LT) or Mekari (our new RT) will be recovering. Bozeman is no lock to resign here, so unless the Ravens have faith in Colon, we'll need a Center (assuming Mekari is not switched back). I don't have the slightest idea what EDC will do in FA, but he must address the O-line significantly in the upcoming NFL Draft or LJ8 (our most valuable asset), and our running game, will suffer greatly... Bc
    I believe, you mistook the OP’s use of phrase “could” to mean will.

I believe he was thinking positively, and playing off chance, rather than being absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Huh? Their 6th round center is about to get paid so much that the Ravens likely can't afford him and they are likely going to replace him with an undrafted guy in Mekari. No one ever said they hit on 100% of their guys but they pick good players in the late rounds on the o-line. Bredeson has started games for the Giants and Lewis signed a second contract with the Jets before retiring because he got hurt too much. Those guys can all play.
    The Ravens do find good players late in drafts but so do most teams. They just aren't the draft monsters they used to be back when 70% of GMs were idiots.

I don't think you can just expect a mid rounder to start right away just because he was drafted by the Ravens, which is what I was making the case against.