Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Joe Hortiz interviewed for Giants GM job

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Any word on when the Giants are going to make their decision? I hope they don't drag it out.
    https://www.bigblueview.com/2022/1/1...tiz-ryan-poles

The TL/DR version is they have interviewed:
    Joe Schoen, Buffalo Bills assistant GM
    Joe Hortiz, Baltimore Ravens director of player personnel
    Adrian Wilson, Arizona Cardinals vice president of pro personnel
    Quentin Harris, Cardinals vice president of player personnel
    Ryan Poles, Kansas City Chiefs executive director of player personnel
    Monti Ossenfort, Tennessee Titans director of player personnel
    Ryan Cowden, Titans vice president of player personnel

They are interviewing two guys from the Niners today. They should have their finalists back for face to face interviews this week.

Also, Hortiz is expected to interview with the Bears. Looks like the Bears and Giants are competing for some of the same guys, so they may need to move quickly if they don't want to get sniped.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Legendary or not, at the moment they’re irrelevant. The GM will be tasked with returning them to relevancy, and right off the bat will need a HC and QB to hitch his wagon to, and the Giants don’t have either one.
    The HC thing is actually good. It would be a bad GM job if they already had a HC established.

The QB is a problem, but they have a crapload of draft capital. Probably will be a rebuilding year next year no matter what, as they shed some wasted cap dollars. So they should still be high enough to draft a QB in '23 if they don't like any of the guys in this year's draft. They also had more games missed to injury than any other team this year, so they should have a much better supporting cast next year, no matter who the QB is. Plus they play in a weak division that has only one real franchise QB in it.

I don't think it's a bad job at all.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post

Also, Hortiz is expected to interview with the Bears. Looks like the Bears and Giants are competing for some of the same guys, so they may need to move quickly if they don't want to get sniped.
    The Raiders have a GM vacancy too. I've got a feeling Hortiz will get one of those jobs. He comes over as smart and impressive and the Ravens Front Office has a good reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    The HC thing is actually good. It would be a bad GM job if they already had a HC established.

The QB is a problem, but they have a crapload of draft capital. Probably will be a rebuilding year next year no matter what, as they shed some wasted cap dollars. So they should still be high enough to draft a QB in '23 if they don't like any of the guys in this year's draft. They also had more games missed to injury than any other team this year, so they should have a much better supporting cast next year, no matter who the QB is. Plus they play in a weak division that has only one real franchise QB in it.

I don't think it's a bad job at all.
    They should sign Fitz for a year.

They've called back Schoen and Poles for 2nd interviews.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Yeah, it looks like Hortiz is out of the running for the Giants GM job. Lucky for him, there are a number of other openings.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...g-m-interview/
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

I had a dream the Ravens brought Daniel Jeremiah back into the front office.

Mike Mayock can have Jeremiah's current job.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's the Giants. They are one of the legendary organizations in sports. Fans forget that the Giants have the 2nd most NFL titles after the Packers and played in more NFL title games than any other franchise. This was team around for around 45 years before Super Bowl I. The owner is one of the most influential in the NFL and doesn't interfere. If anything he's crushed by how poorly his team has been since their last Super Bowl win. That's why for the very first time they are hiring GM with no ties to the Giants. They aren't even interviewing anyone for this job who had a relationship with the Giants. I just can't seen anyone being offered the Giants job turning it down. It's going to be a tremendous job for a GM. I don't think it will be as easy for the head coach but there isn't a better GM opening in the league.
    as I recall, when they were a down team in the late 70s, they hired former Baltimore Colts official George Young, who brought in Ernie Accorsi. that led to the Parcells era (two SB wins as I recall)
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I had a dream the Ravens brought Daniel Jeremiah back into the front office.

Mike Mayock can have Jeremiah's current job.
    Shas you need a dream upgrade

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Shas you need a dream upgrade
    I have many strange dreams, some even that are not PG.

Actually, off topic, but I am a big podcast listener. Will generally fall asleep listening to them. They tend to keep playing consecutively, and I've discovered that the content of the podcast will often steer my dreaming.

It's possible my phone rolled over to a Ravens podcast.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    So whoever loses the Buffalo / KC game gets to be a Giant

either that or New York waits more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    as I recall, when they were a down team in the late 70s, they hired former Baltimore Colts official George Young, who brought in Ernie Accorsi. that led to the Parcells era (two SB wins as I recall)
    You're right. The NFL actually pushed George Young on the Giants and it was a brilliant move. Wellington and Jack Mara owned the Giants. Jack ran the football operations and Wellington ran the business. Jack died young and his son Tim took over. Wellington and his nephew Tim were constantly at odds. It got so bad that Pete Rozelle and the NFL stepped in and forced them to hire George Young who had come from Baltimore to Miami with Don Shula.

The NFL was worried that their New York team was falling apart and George Young was the man to fix it. Young believed drafting tough an physical players. He drafted Phil Simms, Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, Joe Morris, Leonard Marshall and Mark Bavaro. He gave his coach Bill Parcells, a ton of leash. Young saved the Giants and that's why he's a Hall of Fame executive.

Ernie Accorsi had worked with George Young in Baltimore. In the 2000's the Giants hired Accorsi to become their GM and I'm sure that George Young connection had a lot to do with it.