Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why is Steve Saunders still employed?

I can see both sides of the argument for Wink and Roman but this guy I simply cannot. As a strength and conditioning coach, you cannot be patient 0 for something that detrimentally affects your players strength and conditioning. The amount of non contact injuries we suffered this season is insane and people need to realize that coming back and performing 100% after a season ending injury is the exception, not the norm.

Re: Why is Steve Saunders still employed?

In all honesty we can’t see the work Saunders does on a day to day basis. You have to wonder how much non contact injuries are actually under the control of the strength and conditioning coach. I don’t think it’s as simple as saying if a lot of players get injured he did a bad job.

The COVID thing is bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I would have a hard time trusting him after that, if I were playing for the team.

As far as the injury rash goes, most of us have no real idea of whether he had an impact on that, or if it's simply coincidence. I would defer to people who know more about the subject and I believe there are a few on this board who do.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    In all honesty we can’t see the work Saunders does on a day to day basis. You have to wonder how much non contact injuries are actually under the control of the strength and conditioning coach. I don’t think it’s as simple as saying if a lot of players get injured he did a bad job.

One of the main jobs of a strength and conditioning coach is help players with injury prevention. If your team led the league in injuries then its more than fair to say you did a bad job.

And lets not forget Judon calling for his firing PUBLICLY. I'm sure he first hand knowledge of the situation.

I just don't see how anyone can be in defense of this guy.

Sounds like more fire someone to fire someone talk at the end of a disappointing finish.

This guy and Urban would be my scapegoats/.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Sounds like more fire someone to fire someone talk at the end of a disappointing finish.
    Hear, hear !

As mentioned before, we have no idea the job he does day to day and more importantly we don't know how the front office truly views his performance in conjunction with the injuries. And seeing as how he wasn't let go after the covid thing last year they either didn't see it as much of a big deal or they gave him a pass.

This organization does not like to fire people either. They operate as a very employee friendly organization which imho is a good thing versus the opposite. However that characteristic could and has caused problems in certain situations. Outside of egregious performance or personality issues (see Trestman) the front office gives the benefit of the doubt to their employees and don't make hasty decisions even though sometimes we wish they would.

It's still early in the off season and still possible they could evaluate Saunders poorly and move on though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    As mentioned before, we have no idea the job he does day to day and more importantly we don't know how the front office truly views his performance in conjunction with the injuries. And seeing as how he wasn't let go after the covid thing last year they either didn't see it as much of a big deal or they gave him a pass.

This organization does not like to fire people either. They operate as a very employee friendly organization which imho is a good thing versus the opposite. However that characteristic could and has caused problems in certain situations. Outside of egregious performance or personality issues (see Trestman) the front office gives the benefit of the doubt to their employees and don't make hasty decisions even though sometimes we wish they would.

It's still early in the off season and still possible they could evaluate Saunders poorly and move on though.
    He also doesn’t live in the players hip pockets 24/7. They also have some personal responsibility for their own regimens and nutrition to do what they can to prevent injuries.

i agree with all of this, covid thing should have seriously eroded trust plus injuries this year have been very bad,. if some coach has to go, it has to be him front and center

Quote Originally Posted by mddisney1 View Post
    i agree with all of this, covid thing should have seriously eroded trust plus injuries this year have been very bad,. if some coach has to go, it has to be him front and center
    Why though, nobody has made a compelling argument other than too many injuries, and someone needs to take the fall. Nobody can even give in any details what his job description actually is.

Blog Entries

The team was relatively healthy the prior few years. COVID thing would have been an issue for me, but it wasn't for them. Don't care what someone now outside the org (Judon) has to say at all. The team does not make rash decisions no matter how badly many on this board want them to. They are likely still in their process of evaluating everything that went down this season, and if they determine his regimens or whatever he is doing with these players is resulting in the injuries, they'll move on from him then.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52