Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast

Re: Your Plan for Round #1 of the Draft

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan55 View Post
    I don't know if you guys saw it but PFF pretty much just trashed last year's Ravens draft. Said it was the 7th worst in the league.
    I just looked at it. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking...ear-production

It's based on rookie production, and given that the Ravens had a lot of draft capital, the ranking is probably fair.

I've been critical of DeCosta's previous drafts but I think 2021 was his best. There wasn't a lot of production but there is some potential. I think it will look better in 3 years.

-Oweh made the All rookie team despite being "a project"
    -Bateman looked good but ranked low in production because he was underused - even when he was targeted, it was within a few yards of the LoS. It's entirely down to coaching that we didn't get more production out of Bateman and Wallace.
    -Cleveland was injured but seems sort of OK-ish
    -Stephens played a lot. He wasn't good but I wouldn't write him off. There's an element of "project" about him too. He could well improve.
    -Wallace barely saw the field and Hayes was out all season.
    -The Wade and Mason picks didn't work out, but I'm not mad about one of them.

Thumbs up Re: Your Plan for Round #1 of the Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I actually have a ritual. I get a drink, watch the draft, and read the posts by you draftnicks and college ball dudes. Then, depending on the round of alcohol or draft, then make my assessment.
    An honest man!

I think that with the hiring of McDonald, the defense option becomes stronger, especially Ojabo

Here is my updated Ravens big board. I will keep updating and really hope other posters agree/disagree so I can keep looking into different aspects of these players. One of these players will be available at 14. The top safety, OT and edge rushers are in the draft stratosphere and the Ravens have 10 picks so a trade up is possible but to the top five - probably not. No WRs or QBs just cause I donít see it happening. There is a good ILB and RB I left off for the same fit/value reason. A lot of good corners this year overall and that combined with elevated injury risk lowers their value. At 14 the Ravens will want someone they see as a cornerstone for their position group, but that is not how I see many players on this board. If itís Karlaftis, Ojabu, Okwonu or Penning in striking distance they turn in the card fast. Other than that they may be praying for good trade-back offers up until they have to give a name. If they trade back the can be assured they will have - at minimum - a first-round quality corner or safety, DT or EDGE, plus an additional high-quality pick.

George Karlaftis 6-4 270 Edge
    Fit: Ideal 4-3 DE but has the size to be a Joker OLB (the Suggs or McPhee role where being able to win often against the NFLís best LTs is first in the job description)
    Wow Factor: Elite motor power rusher and close combat fighter. Dials up defensive intensity all game long. Edge talent at this level is so hard to get the Ravens would trade up for him. Run stopper bonus points.
    ?: Can he get around the edge (I think so, but some evaluators question)

Ikem Okwonu 6-4 325 OT
    Fit - played wide zone in college but considered scheme flexible. Played LT with some LG and also looks the part for a big OG - compares to Osemele.
    Wow Factor: displays all of the desirable factors for an NFL lineman - balance, movement, IQ, power, nasty demeanor, hand and hips. Pass setting and feel for run game looked solid on tape.
    ? Inexperience at RT where he would be most needed initially.

David Ojabo 6-5 250 Edge
    Fit: looks to be able to hold an edge on either side but seems maybe too similar to Oweh? Either way both of them on the same line may fundamentally overhaul the pass rush.
    Wow Factor: twitchy, explosive, balanced, intense, bendy athletic freak who is capable of combining all his assets on a given play.
    ?: Hands need work. Consistency. Needs work against the run so first year will see more situational pass rush.

Derek Stingley 6-1 200 CB
    Fit: He played primarily press-man coverage, so no doubt he is high on the Ravens draft board. Maybe viewed as an antidote to Jamar Chase.
    Wow Factor: Elite cover corner. Rare combination of size, speed and fluidity. Drives on plays in front of him explosively. Instinctive.
    ?: Questionable physicality and edgeiness. Not a pristine record health-wise, which has him lower on this board than many others

Trevor Penning 6-7 340 OT
    FIT: Screams Raven. Powerful player for a power running football team.
    Wow Factor: the size is obvious but the athleticism matches. Exceptional hands and punch that he uses to negate rushes and control blockers during runs. Very powerful. Heís small school, which appears to be the only thing that lowers his perceived value. Consensus gives Okwonu higher rating but fit and details could make him the better tackle, especially in the Ravens power schemes. I regard Jeremiah highly so I had to add him to my board. Jeremiah also raised his profile so he will not last to round 2.
    ?: consistency, especially in maintaining balance. Questionable at RT.

Ahmed ďSauceĒ Gardner 6-2 190 CB
    Fit: He was a press corner in college with a caveat that his weight maybe -just maybe - could preclude that success in the NFL.
    Wow Factor: combination of length, burst and twitchiness means he could succeed against tall and strong and little shifty WRs. Has real cornerback swagger and a nose for the ball. Former WR.
    ?: Needs a few burgers. Not much injury history but at that size and weight at CB in the NFL one wonders.

Tyler Linderbaum 6-2 289 OC
    Fit: Size and zone scheme background makes this questionable but his athleticism is undeniable and thus makes this a good debate topic. Desirability may hinge on the plan for Bozeman.
    Wow Factor: Great speed and athleticism. Consistent intensity and intelligence. Excellence in multiple sports and was good at defense, too. Iowa OL (need I say more).
    ?: Needs a few burgers

DeMarvin Leal 6-4 290 5T
    Fit: Damn near a perfect partner for Mads, and in fact they tormented offenses together at A&M. Could see him succeed in either end in the 3-4 sets or interior nickel and dime arrangements with the flexibility to make offense uncertain what his role is in a given play.
    Wow Factor: His elite all-around athleticism and versatility matches his top evaluations. Disrupts run and pass, high motor and IQ. Good speed. Was the centerpiece of one of the nationís best defenses. Position flexibility. Top ten talent but sometimes top DTs fall.
    ?: Gets a little too high sometimes and not great against double teams means he wonít get many NT reps in a game but should be able in special packages.

Jordan Davis 6-5 330 DT
    Fit: Considered best fit in 4-3 But known to be able to play in odd and even fronts. NT capable with flexibility to play 3 and even 5 technique.
    Wow Factor: Huge man with speed, athleticism and strength who pushes interiors inward. Dominates against the run and always draws double teams or crushes singles. Takes away space in the front of the pocket.
    ?: Getting pass pressure and sacks.

Nicholas Petit-Frere 6-5 300 OT
    Fit: scheme diverse but probably best fit as a zone scheme LT. Has played RT and LT in the same game
    Wow Factor: Athletic. Good NFL frame and all-around OL skills.
    ?: consistency

Penning is a second rounder for me, otherwise, okay.
    "That's what."
    ó She

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Penning is a second rounder for me, otherwise, okay.
    Heís just below my trade back line. I think at 14 you get more value by obtaining picks or value swapping (Take my third and give me your second). Two second rounders in this draft would be nice based on where the scouts are saying the value lies.

Dont be surprised when we draft a Cornerback or Kyle Hamilton if he's there.

8. Re: Your Plan for Round #1 of the Draft

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentinaRaven View Post
    I think that with the hiring of McDonald, the defense option becomes stronger, especially Ojabo
    Gotta hope he gets past the Giants and a couple of other teams. I don't see it. I think he actually might go before Hamilton due to position priority and teams valuing pass rushers more than Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    Dont be surprised when we draft a Cornerback or Kyle Hamilton if he's there.
    Hamilton ain’t gonna be there.
    We need an edge rusher to help catch Burrows, a corner who can limit Chase and a tackle who can limit Watt. Seriously, the draft is that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    They're just saying there isn't as much high end talent in this draft. Even the top guys would have been graded in the teens last year. The lack of QBs probably influences that too. The mid round pass rushers last year, like Phillips and Paye, have been good. Hutchinson probably will be too.

I never agreed with Ozzie on that. The third best Tackle or pass rusher is more valuable than the top Center, both on the field and in FA money saved.
    I fundamentally disagree. A top notch center alleviates call pressure on the QB and makes life easier for the interior guys.

There's only 2 positions where I'd never take in the first (K and P) and a 3rd that I'd never take in the top 2/3's of the first (RB). I'd take a Nick Mangold type guy in the first every single day of the week.

For this, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I think that rule of thumb made a lot more sense when they were picking at the bottom of the round and taking Ben Grubbs or Todd Heap. At 14 there might still be half the positions still on the board. And I might also be ok with the second best OT or DT if he's a legit top 15 player.

Besides, the Ravens don't tend to pick undersized Zone scheme centers.
    Linderbaum is way more than a zone scheme center. If the Ravens have the guy rated as a top 15 player and Bozeman leaves as expected, there shouldn't be any issue with taking him around the middle of the first.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    Gotta hope he gets past the Giants and a couple of other teams. I don't see it. I think he actually might go before Hamilton due to position priority and teams valuing pass rushers more than Safety.
    Hamilton is not going to go beyond jets in the 4, I have Giants with Leal and a cb.
    to jets with hamilton and a wr, and for the other teams I don't see ojabo as such a clear option, maybe washington but they will go OL.