Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

OT: Turgeon Out at MD

The University of Maryland Athletics announced Friday that men’s basketball coach Mark Turgeon is stepping down as head coach in a mutual agreement.

LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: OT: Turgeon Out at MD

I wanted Turgeon gone years ago surprised it's happening during the first part of the season. Thought Turgeon would at least make it through the year before parting ways. Wonder if there is more to this other then Turgeon's teams continually disappointing.

About time. The level of under-achievement has been staggering.

It also always bothered me how he regularly criticized his players in the media. Danny Manning is interim HC. Any chance he stays?
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    About time. The level of under-achievement has been staggering.

It also always bothered me how he regularly criticized his players in the media. Danny Manning is interim HC. Any chance he stays?
    I think Manning could get the job if he does well except his record at Wake Forest was underwhelming. Terps can't screw up this next head coach search after Turgeon has set the program back by a decade.

The Terps should be a consistent top 25 program and regularly making the Sweet 16. Terps are now an afterthought in college basketball.

Good. I never cared for him. He always seemed to blame the players for a loss, and not take any responsibility.

He beat the program down into a state of apathy

Blog Entries

About time.

Long overdue.............................bye.

Seemed like his teams would always be just good enough to make the NCAA tournament and then lose in the first or second round. Never got a sense that he was capable of more. Seemed like a good guy and a good recruiter but his game day coaching left a lot to be desired. This season feels like it's headed for the toilet. Maybe Manning will light a spark. Gives MD the rest of the season to see what they have in Manning. If no improvement they can start searching after the season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post
    Seemed like his teams would always be just good enough to make the NCAA tournament and then lose in the first or second round. Never got a sense that he was capable of more. Seemed like a good guy and a good recruiter but his game day coaching left a lot to be desired. This season feels like it's headed for the toilet. Maybe Manning will light a spark. Gives MD the rest of the season to see what they have in Manning. If no improvement they can start searching after the season ends.
    As someone who hasn't followed the terps closely for several years now......that would be my thought. The terps seem to always have a high ranking going into the season and then end up as a borderline tournament team.

That tells me we recruit good players but that talent doesn't gel or develop under the coach. The raw talent itself is the only thing getting us into the tournament.

Blog Entries

5 years too late. His late season should have been the year with Diamond Stone and Melo when they failed to make a deep tournament run when they should have easily made the elite 8 and possibly the final 4. His teams constantly underachieved and players didnt get better under his coaching.

I get that his teams underachieved at times, but this seems a little sudden. Wonder if there's more to the story.