Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 171819

Thread: Nihilism

Re: Nihilism

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Wait. HOLD ON. Your whole more code is an OBLIGATION to NOT do things, to which I agreed with to a point. Mine includes obligations to act which you seem to take issue with.
    I entered this conversation with the understanding that you were familiar with the philosophical concepts of morality, ethics, and epistemology.

The deeper we traverse into this conversation, the more apparent it becomes that we are speaking different languages.

Peace, and best regards.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    I entered this conversation with the understanding that you were familiar with the philosophical concepts of morality, ethics, and epistemology.

The deeper we traverse into this conversation, the more apparent it becomes that we are speaking different languages.

Peace, and best regards.
    I consider myself quite familiar with the philosophical concepts of morality, ethics, and epistemology. I would pin grounds of knowledge, the epistemology, of morals and ethics in the nature of God.

But that doesn't really have anything to do with what you quoted. You have, in this case and in my understanding of your views, limited morality to what we should not do. I would also include what we should do.

?????

Are you contending that knowingly dropping nuclear bombs on children was accidental?

Or that the little bastards had it coming?

(at some point you have to recognize how ridiculous this line of argumentation is.)

It is my contention that both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were strategic military targets that Japan willingly put behind civilian shields. There were something like 50,000 troops stationed at Hiroshima at the time the bomb was dropped. Nagasaki was the main center for Japan's construction of war materials including ships and guns. Both cities were warned days in advance that a terrible bomb was coming.

???

My argument was that the notion of a loving God commanding Joshua to slay the children of Ai on the point of a sword was inconsistent with the idea of a loving God. And this was at least a large part of my choice to recognize myself as agnostic.

All this nuclear bomb crap was just a poor apologetic exercise brought up by someone other than me
    Even worse than kicking His favorite creation out of paradise, forcing them to live in a fallen state simply for eating a piece of fruit? Christ was and is the root of salvation.

No. Clearly you don't. You defend the slaughter of innocent children in their sleep, as morally defensible.
    And you pretend that allowing millions of other children to die violently gives you a place of moral superiority. It doesn't. You make a choice just like I do. Only difference is you made yours to keep a clear conscience no matter the cost. I'd make the hard choice and live with the guilt.

Slaughter of innocent children is not justified under any circumstances.
    So Israel should not be firing back at Hamas terrorists who are hiding behind children while firing rockets at children in Israel? Again your moral absolutism is going to get kids killed.

Of course. I'm not a pacifist. I would have no problem snapping someone's neck like a dry twig, should they initiate force against me or my family.

But I would not murder my neighbor's children in their sleep, if I thought it might dissuade him from posing a threat.
    I noticed you've completely ignored my question about blowing up 10 kids in a bus to save 100 kids in a school. 7 million people, conservative estimate, would have died, including well over a million innocent women and children, if we don't drop those bombs. Russia and China were coming in through the north and China was gonna straight fuck shit up. 3.5 million Chinese civilians were killed by the Japanese; 350,000 at the Nanking Massacre. There are literally dozens of examples of Japan using Chinese, and other nationalities, civilians in concentration camps for horrific experiments.

So yes, making terrible decisions that will save countless others lives is sometimes necessary.

I really can't understand why this overwhelming difference isn't obvious to you.
    Yeah... about that...

SO much so... that I can't help but think you are willfully ignoring the obvious in order to cling to a position you think really wish was defensible.
    The deaths of 200,000 vs. the deaths of 7,000,000 is an easily defensible position to anybody not clinging to a farcical sense of moral superiority. I'd hate myself for pulling the trigger, but I'd do it every single time.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    It is my contention that both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were strategic military targets that Japan willingly put behind civilian shields. There were something like 50,000 troops stationed at Hiroshima at the time the bomb was dropped. Nagasaki was the main center for Japan's construction of war materials including ships and guns. Both cities were warned days in advance that a terrible bomb was coming.

???

Even worse than kicking His favorite creation out of paradise, forcing them to live in a fallen state simply for eating a piece of fruit? Christ was and is the root of salvation.

And you pretend that allowing millions of other children to die violently gives you a place of moral superiority. It doesn't. You make a choice just like I do. Only difference is you made yours to keep a clear conscience no matter the cost. I'd make the hard choice and live with the guilt.

So Israel should not be firing back at Hamas terrorists who are hiding behind children while firing rockets at children in Israel? Again your moral absolutism is going to get kids killed.

I noticed you've completely ignored my question about blowing up 10 kids in a bus to save 100 kids in a school. 7 million people, conservative estimate, would have died, including well over a million innocent women and children, if we don't drop those bombs. Russia and China were coming in through the north and China was gonna straight fuck shit up. 3.5 million Chinese civilians were killed by the Japanese; 350,000 at the Nanking Massacre. There are literally dozens of examples of Japan using Chinese, and other nationalities, civilians in concentration camps for horrific experiments.

So yes, making terrible decisions that will save countless others lives is sometimes necessary.

Yeah... about that...

The deaths of 200,000 vs. the deaths of 7,000,000 is an easily defensible position to anybody not clinging to a farcical sense of moral superiority. I'd hate myself for pulling the trigger, but I'd do it every single time.
    Everyone has a <moral> plan, until they get punched in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Everyone has a <moral> plan, until they get punched in the face.
    Then it's time to murder the children I guess.

I'm really kind of astounded.

Then it's time to murder the children I guess.

I'm really kind of astounded.
    Or we could just let millions of innocent children die to stick it to the Christians.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock