Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nihilism

Re: Nihilism

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Paradox discussions are always going to nuke the brain a bit lol.

What it basically boils down to though is omnipotence doesn't have to break laws of logic. In example..

Statement A: I can bench press 225 lbs
    Statement B: I can't bench press 225 lbs

Statement B can be true on July 8th, 2014 and Statement A can be true on December 9th, 2017. But they can't both be true at the exact same time because one contradicts the other. It's the same as God and the rock.
    Wrong. Those are both subjective, neither is objective.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    No problem bro. I know you're arguing in good faith for sure. And trust me, I'm somewhat confusing myself as I respond to you guys.

I would say this however. Isn't everyone judgemental to some degree? Whether one person believes that T.J. Watt is an ahole for blatantly punching guys or someone else believes droning civilians for oil is detestable, most, if not all people have some sort of internal monitor for where they draw the line.

Say you take God out of the equation, I would say that in the absence of your "belief" in needing to constantly be a better version of yourself, you would take part in really horrific acts, correct? Wouldn't we all?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Baha.. well now yall got me going and you're going to bed.
    Well for 1) Fuck TJ Watt (respect).
    2) we are all judgemental, yes, stereo types exist for a reason, sorry people just the way it is. it does go both ways (like your mom, ha)
    3) No, just because you take god out of the equation doesnt result in me being fucking Ted Bundy.

Please explain to me why people that dont believe in god, cant do morally "acceptable" things because thats how im viewing your statements (i is also drunk)
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

And from what I'm understanding, God, as described in the Christian Bible has bounds as well. Such as "he can't tell a lie" or "he can't tempt any man to sin." So I guess that would fall under the "God can't do illogical things" but in a weird way I guess.

Indeed. God cannot act out of His own nature essentially.

I remember from one of my philosophy courses, much emphasis was placed on identifying fallacies because they're deceptive with faulty reasoning. The rock thing would be a modal scope fallacy.

Here's a good one:

A: That person over there is a great quarterback
    B: That person over there is Kyle Boller.

Either the person is Kyle Boller or its a great quarterback. The same person can't both be Kyle Boller and a great quarterback at the same time ;)

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Wrong. Those are both subjective, neither is objective.

Well for 1) Fuck TJ Watt (respect).
    2) we are all judgemental, yes, stereo types exist for a reason, sorry people just the way it is. it does go both ways (like your mom, ha)
    3) No, just because you take god out of the equation doesnt result in me being fucking Ted Bundy.

Please explain to me why people that dont believe in god, cant do morally "acceptable" things because thats how im viewing your statements (i is also drunk)
    How is it subjective? Bench pressing 225 isn't a matter of opinion. Either I can or I can't. The Kyle Boller thing was subjective but that was a joke.. though we could all agree im sure that he's not a great quarterback.

Here's another problem I have with nihilism and it's the denial of our natural self. We're all born with this desire to live with some sort of purpose. Even a person that commits suicide because life is meaningless probably lived for a good 20 or 30 years before doing so. A nihilistic person will say that life is meaningless but still put on their boots and go to work. Their behavior does not correlate with their beliefs and that's the problem.

If a person jumped off a skyscraper, they would die because gravity by its nature causes them to fall and isn't driven by some moral compass. It isn't going to not do its thing because that person is going to die. If gravity were a conscious being, it wouldn't question its own natural behavior yet we as humans do. Gravity by its nature causes you to fall and humans by our nature live with meaning yet why would we think meaninglessness is rational is head-scratching to me.

My house used to be the crazy party house and we would talk about this shit, i would be the one to destroy everyone with religious beliefs and it made me sad because no one ever said the one phrase that is respectable. "i dont know, but i choose to believe"

I would respected that answered more that all the bs i heard, because i can disprove that, but if you straight up say, faith and that's it...nothing but respect
    Not trying to pick a fight but there are things you certainly can’t disprove either from an evidence perspective or or it not being possible to disprove.

Here's another problem I have with nihilism and it's the denial of our natural self. We're all born with this desire to live with some sort of purpose. Even a person that commits suicide because life is meaningless probably lived for a good 20 or 30 years before doing so. A nihilistic person will say that life is meaningless but still put on their boots and go to work. Their behavior does not correlate with their beliefs and that's the problem.

If a person jumped off a skyscraper, they would die because gravity by its nature causes them to fall and isn't driven by some moral compass. It isn't going to not do its thing because that person is going to die. If gravity were a conscious being, it wouldn't question its own natural behavior yet we as humans do. Gravity by its nature causes you to fall and humans by our nature live with meaning yet why would we think meaninglessness is rational is head-scratching to me.
    Ok, do you believe this sense of purpose is an evolutionary trait that humans have created over time to survive? Do you believe it may be God given? Or something else completely?

Ok, do you believe this sense of purpose is an evolutionary trait that humans have created over time to survive? Do you believe it may be God given? Or something else completely?

All human beings have an innate moral code programmed upon their psyche as a function of their existence as rational beings.

Human beings understand reciprocity. Cause and Effect.

Religions codify this inherent understanding as "the golden rule".

Philosophy and government often codify it as "rights".

But it all stems from the same foundational human understanding. That if I victimize someone.. I cannot claim the ability to live free of victimization. If I steal from someone, I cannot claim the legitimacy of ownership. If I murder... I forego the rational objection to the taking of my own life.

These things are programmed deep in every actual human being. Even those who attempt to deny the truth of them.

Try taking the iphone from a communist, and you'll see what I mean.

I am atheistic. But I have a very sound and unassailable moral code founded in the non-aggression principle. Which is the basis for rights. As such, I am not Nihilistic in any sense of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Not trying to pick a fight but there are things you certainly can’t disprove either from an evidence perspective or or it not being possible to disprove.
    100% agree.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

I'm an atheist; sometimes on a cynical day I feel like a nihilist, but haven't given it much thought. Raised Catholic, all the sacraments, but started questioning things in high school and in the last 5 years or so I've realized I'm a non-believer. It's been quite liberating honestly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

***disclaimer whiskey***

I can only speak for myself and my beliefs, i have always not-liked when people are pushed into a category ie republicans, democrats, libs, or any label. I think labels are very small minded etc...

Just because i don't believe in god doesn't mean i don't have a moral compass, therefore nihilism doesn't equal atheism. They do not correlate. I am sure you and many members on here have a lot of friends that don't believe in god, does that mean they are a bad person? Well, maybe to you and how you "judge" people, but thats where the issue is. (not you you, you= people in general)

By definition you are correct, Nihilism disregards religious and moral principles. So i am for sure atheist and i follow the nihilistic belief of life is meaningless, but that doesnt mean i dont have morals. I have a bigger issue with people who follow a certain religion and do things that they are "supposed to do" to get into heaven rather than what they think they should do. What i grew up in church was a social event, you go there to put on a show and then those people go home and beat their SO.

This is why labels are dangerous because one label=numerous things. Its like a draft class, just because DeCosta nailed a draft ie Lamar, Andrews etc, doesnt mean there wasnt a miss/misses. This prolly makes zero sense, but hey,....Whiskey
    Well said. Truth in wine, or whiskey, in your case

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    I'm an atheist; sometimes on a cynical day I feel like a nihilist, but haven't given it much thought. Raised Catholic, all the sacraments, but started questioning things in high school and in the last 5 years or so I've realized I'm a non-believer. It's been quite liberating honestly.

I’m a Christian, but have a similar story. Started catholic, went atheist, then agnostic, and ironically science is what finally brought me back to religion

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I’m a Christian, but have a similar story. Started catholic, went atheist, then agnostic, and ironically science is what finally brought me back to religion
    Interesting! How did that happen?