Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: OT: Turgeon Out at MD

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    I still dislike the move from the ACC to the Big Ten. Terrible mistake to forego rivalries with Virginia and Duke. The football program cannot handle Big Ten competition. I thought Mike Locksley would be gone long before Turgeon.

CCx
    There are no expectations for Terps football. Locksley could get a parade just by being bowl-eligible.

I miss the ACC rivalries too, but the fact is that the Big 10 is a better basketball conference now. And based on what we've seen so far in non-conference play, Maryland wasn't going to finish in the top half of the league.

Ten full seasons at Maryland, and missed the tournament four times. Got out of the first round once. Always flamed out in the conference tournament as well. With all the talent in this region, that's just not good enough.

Funny, the knock on Gary was that he couldn't/wouldn't recruit, but he got the max out of his players. Turgeon's the exact opposite.
    "Chin up, chest out."

2. Re: OT: Turgeon Out at MD

"After several in depth conversations with [athletic director] Damon [Evans], I have decided that the best thing for Maryland Basketball, myself and my family is to step down, effective immediately, as the head coach of Maryland Basketball," Turgeon said in a statement. "I have always preached that Maryland Basketball is bigger than any one individual. My departure will enable a new voice to guide the team moving forward."

I respect what Coach Turgeon did. This is exactly what Greg Roman should do for the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Hell of a Friday afternoon news dump!

Bout fucking time!

He's done worse than you could ever expect of a program - he's taken it down to road of apathy. Nobody cares.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    That’s why I didn’t mention this season, although I usually don’t focus on basketball until January.
    Why? Locks if taking a knife to a gun fight. His yearly ceiling is 7-8 wins. He reached 6 with a chance for 7 in the bowl game. He’s actually making a limited program better.

Turgeon is an abject failure. Great resources at a basketball school on the second richest conference and his teams routinely failed.

He bilked MD taxpayers for over $30MM for damn near nothing.

His ass should’ve been gone before locks got here.

OT: Turgeon Out at MD

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    "After several in depth conversations with [athletic director] Damon [Evans], I have decided that the best thing for Maryland Basketball, myself and my family is to step down, effective immediately, as the head coach of Maryland Basketball," Turgeon said in a statement. "I have always preached that Maryland Basketball is bigger than any one individual. My departure will enable a new voice to guide the team moving forward."

I respect what Coach Turgeon did. This is exactly what Greg Roman should do for the Ravens.
    SSA Turge had his agent approach Damon about buying him out per his clause. He wanted out in the spring but Marquette gave the job to Shaka Smart. MD extended him but with an affordable buyout.

Turge thinks he’s his idol Larry Brown but he’s a fraud, poor coach and a coward.

Glad he’s gone
    Last edited by Ravens75; 12-03-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    I hate it and it still feels like Maryland is playing out of conference games in the Big Ten with no natural rivals.
    I get it but the athletic department was broke and the ACC was forcing Pittsburgh to be MD’s new rival. Once a year with Duke, UVA and UNC the handwriting was in the wall that MD was no longer viewed as one of the founding members.

They did the right thing just hired the wrong coaches.

OT: Turgeon Out at MD

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    I think he's underachieved every year except when he had so much talent even he couldn't screw it up. Unfortunately COVID cancelled the tournament so we'll never know what could have been.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    In 2020 that team had a three game lead with 5 to play to win the outright regular season championship. They finished tied for first and seeded third in the Conf tourney behind Wisconsin and Michigan state. Once again they faltered down the stretch yet he crowed about winning the conference championship.

In all they probably would’ve been bounced in the conference semis and maybe gotten to the maybe the sweet sixteen. Typical underachieving.

Turge is a coward and a fraud but he’s rich after having collecting over $30MM
    Last edited by Ravens75; 12-03-2021 at 07:07 PM.

Turgeon couldn't win when it really meant it.....the game that would put him and the team and school over the top. His teams played with little urgency. I was a huge Gary WIlliams fan. His teams played with a huge chip on their shoulder.....just like the coach. He could take five players off any play ground court in Baltimore city and win some games in the ACC. Turgeon lost to Virginia and says...."we are getting better".....HUH? You were ranked 20th preseason poll? You need to get better to beat Effing Richmond?

Blog Entries

I haven’t followed closely but didn’t he win the big10 last year and sign a 3 year extension 6 months ago?

What went so wrong?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I haven’t followed closely but didn’t he win the big10 last year and sign a 3 year extension 6 months ago?

What went so wrong?
    He had a share of the crown in 2020 after losing a three game lead with 5 to play. That’s just flat out incompetent. Last year he had a undermanned team that overachieved because those players had a ton of heart but little else and woeful coaching support.

11. Re: OT: Turgeon Out at MD

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    SSA Turge had his agent approach Damon about buying him out per his clause. He wanted out in the spring but Marquette gave the job to Shaka Smart. MD extended him but with an affordable buyout.

Turge thinks he’s his idol Larry Brien but he’s a fraud, poor coach and a coward.

Glad he’s gone
    Well if that's the case than good riddance to Turgeon.

From Twitter

https://twitter.com/lilabbromberg/st...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The b*tch quit on the kids and the school. Man those kids gotta play their arses off the rest of the season to prove this ungrateful self righteous coward wrong.