Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Harbs’ play sheet

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Harbaugh obviously doesn't have the playsheet to help him follow along like a fan. He just doesn't want to embarrass/undermine his co-ordinator by saying what's really going on.

It seems like Harbaugh's taking a more hands on, supervisory approach with the offense. It's understandable. No matter how much you like his scheme, Roman's play calling would drive you crazy sometimes. How could any head coach watch Roman against Miami failing to protect or provide viable outlet receivers, over and over again, and not want to take charge?

I don't think he's calling the offense most of the time but it seems like he wants the ability to veto bad ideas or switch to better ones. I'm in favor of it. I think Roman lost the right to have an entirely free hand in Miami.

It's good to get it established now, because we don't want to see another playoff game where Roman is completely flummoxed and out of ideas. Another voice can only help.
    This.

I think it's an accountability tool. Anyone who has followed this team knows that Harbaugh is as hands off as you can be as a boss. The Miami game probably made him want to watch the offense more closely.

Let’s pretend Harbaugh was calling plays. Did it help? The offense didn’t look great against the Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    like I mentioned above, Jeff seems to want no part of it. A little odd IMO
    Nothing that Zriebec says is incompatible with the idea that Harbaugh is supervising Roman more than he has in the past.

Jeff is the best Ravens reporter but he's very much a company man. He doesn't want to upset the Ravens and lose his access and exclusives. He very rarely outright criticizes the Ravens and often comes out with team friendly explanations when the fanbase is critical about something. If Harbaugh doesn't want it known that he's more involved, Zriebec won't say it.

He's right that Harbaugh has had a playsheet long before the Browns game and I suspect he's also right that he isn't calling the plays.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brown2RAVEN View Post
    It looked like he was using the play sheet more to block his face than read off of it to me. That was still unusual, not sure why he never does that. I don't think he was calling plays, just discussing strategy / adjustments.
    b2R, I agree It looked to me as if he was just covering his mouth with it. Probably, as you posted "just discussing strategy / adjustments." Some Head Coaches were either offensive or defensive gurus, so they want to call those plays. I feel in Harbaugh's case, him being a Special teams coach, he let's his coordinators do the heavy lifting. IMO that's what a good manager should do... Bc

Harbs might well becoming more active in getting his views on types of plays to call. For the second year in a row our offense is bogged down in the middle of the season and we do not have the line or rb to just power run the ball this year. We don’t run block well enough for our rb group and our pass blocking is poor against speed rusher so our regular game plan is not working well.

So we need to find plan B. That could be a short passing game which I hate going against 8-9 man boxes. No natural spaces and too easy for defenders to jump routes. Or go to 2-3 man routes with maximum protection. I think we need to do more play action which LJ does well. Funny thing is that play action works well even when you are not running well. And with LJ a risk to run every play. Or perhaps just start power running towards the right side with Boyle and Richard leading the way. But we need something because points are hard to come by right now.

If Harbaugh is getting more involved good on him. The buck stops with him. He ultimately becomes the fall guy if we falter badly. Given our recent offensive challenges it makes more sense for him to be a little more hands or in the loop as to what his coordinators are thinking. Need to have a sense of urgency.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    Harbs might well becoming more active in getting his views on types of plays to call. For the second year in a row our offense is bogged down in the middle of the season and we do not have the line or rb to just power run the ball this year. We don’t run block well enough for our rb group and our pass blocking is poor against speed rusher so our regular game plan is not working well.

So we need to find plan B. That could be a short passing game which I hate going against 8-9 man boxes. No natural spaces and too easy for defenders to jump routes. Or go to 2-3 man routes with maximum protection. I think we need to do more play action which LJ does well. Funny thing is that play action works well even when you are not running well. And with LJ a risk to run every play. Or perhaps just start power running towards the right side with Boyle and Richard leading the way. But we need something because points are hard to come by right now.
    I am a little perplexed about the current play of the OL. They had a number of injuries earlier in the season, but currently, the only OL that is missing from the unit that started the season is Stanley. Granted, Stanley is their best OL, but shouldn't that unit be performing at a higher level, especially with regard to run blocking?
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I am a little perplexed about the current play of the OL. They had a number of injuries earlier in the season, but currently, the only OL that is missing from the unit that started the season is Stanley. Granted, Stanley is their best OL, but shouldn't that unit be performing at a higher level, especially with regard to run blocking?
    OL struggles have been discussed here in depth already. Guys are just struggling. Especially AV at left tackle. Zeitler and Mekhari have been up and down. It's a domino effect.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    OL struggles have been discussed here in depth already. Guys are just struggling. Especially AV at left tackle. Zeitler and Mekhari have been up and down. It's a domino effect.
    So you admit pretty much the same thing I have been saying. OL definitely struggling especially AV at LT.

Like a former scout has been saying on local radio for the past three weeks why wont Harbaugh Bench AV.
    Move Mekari over to LT where he is supposed to be the immediate back up anyway and insert Phillips at RT?

That would immediately put the best five guys on the field. This has been said by quite a few people lately.

Doesn't this not sound exactly like what I keep telling you that we are not seeing the best players including at RB?

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    So you admit pretty much the same thing I have been saying. OL definitely struggling especially AV at LT.

Like a former scout has been saying on local radio for the past three weeks why wont Harbaugh Bench AV.
    Move Mekari over to LT where he is supposed to be the immediate back up anyway and insert Phillips at RT?

That would immediately put the best five guys on the field. This has been said by quite a few people lately.

Doesn't this not sound exactly like what I keep telling you that we are not seeing the best players including at RB?
    Nope. Not admitting to anything. Just saying OL is struggling. The 5 best guys we have are already out on the field. Phillips at RT? He hasn't been good there. It's been well discussed on this board he's better suited for guard which is where he's been playing since he returned from his injury.

As for RB have we not been telling you why Williams isn't on the field?

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post

For me, that would be a downgrade. AV has been bad but I think Phillips has been worse at Tackle. We'd maybe get a slight upgrade at LT but a major downgrade at RT.

It's depressing but I think Villanueva is one of our top 2 tackles at the moment and he can't play on the right, so we're stuck with him at LT.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Nope. Not admitting to anything. Just saying OL is struggling. The 5 best guys we have are already out on the field. Phillips at RT? He hasn't been good there. It's been well discussed on this board he's better suited for guard which is where he's been playing since he returned from his injury.

As for RB have we not been telling you why Williams isn't on the field?
    LMFAO.

You literally just agreed with me, then disagreed with me to the sole sake of not agreeing with me! lol priceless.

You said OL is struggling.
    I said OL is struggling.

Right now there is no debate. Mekari is clearly a better LT than AV at LT. I doubt anyone on this board would agree with you on that.

Phillips when he played at RT this year was nothing great but he also looked better at RT than AV did look at RT.

So to me that sure appears we are not seeing the best five guys out there