Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Tyus Bowser's Comment today

Quote Originally Posted by 00000 View Post
    Well it helps that we already extended Bowser - so its not costing him anything. He really hadnt proven too much before the new deal.
    Right. That's kinda my point. They don't get a chance to "prove" themselves. Bowser was already one of the best coverage LBs in the league before they re-signed him. And he had a great percentage of pressures based on his opportunities to rush the passer. But he had no market value because unlike other pass rushers, he didn't just line up and rush the passer on every defensive snap. If he had, he'd be a double-digit sack guy and we wouldn't have been able to afford him.

There's a reason why Judon is the 20th highest paid edge rusher right now. He just didn't have the sack numbers when it was his time to hit FA. The scheme cost him a lot of money.

Similarly Tyus could be making a lot more money if he had played his first four years in a different scheme. A lot of guys would be bitter about that. But (at least outwardly) Tyus is not.

As a side note, one advantage to Wink's system is exactly this. It makes your rushers more affordable and easier to keep on your team.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    Bowser has been awesome recently and I'm so happy to see him develop into what he is and hope that he continues to elevate his play. He really is good at coverage, setting the edge, and now getting better at the rush. Can't credit his work enough.

My only question regarding Wink' s scheme (and this isn't a knock on Bowser) is that if the scheme is set up to so frequently have the OLB drop into coverage more so than other schemes that are more geared toward that position setting the edge and rushing the passer then why do we constantly see players running open all across the field especially on 3rd down against our coverages?

Serious question for some of you that are more versed in that than I as I am not a defensive guru
    Our 3rd down defense is not good at all. Browns game was much better but it's a combination of missed tackles and miscommunication to be honest when it comes to not being able to get off the field.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Our 3rd down defense is not good at all. Browns game was much better but it's a combination of missed tackles and miscommunication to be honest when it comes to not being able to get off the field.
    Ravens 3rd down D ranked first overall:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...conversion-pct

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    Ravens 3rd down D ranked first overall:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...conversion-pct
    Thanks for the post. Call me shocked. Guess my eye test really failed me. Could have sworn there was a time it was near the bottom.

5. Re: Tyus Bowser's Comment today

Thanks for the post. Call me shocked. Guess my eye test really failed me. Could have sworn there was a time it was near the bottom.
    Confirmation bias. We all remember, in crystal clarity, the 3rd and longs the D's given up (no matter how few). It's probably also a smidgeon of "chunk play PTSD" afflicting Ravens fans at this point.

Hey it happens. We also rank first in redzone d as well:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...ne-scoring-pct

Now that tackling has been shored up, I'd say overall our D plays well. Still prone to blowing at least two coverages every game but hey were working on it lol. I was just happy we tackled the Cleveland receivers we let get downfield on us. That's progress?!

But seriously I think that 4th & long play in Chicago really prematurely or incorrectly soured Ravens fans on Wink and overall D performance. I say thus excluding overall D ranking because blown plays have sunk it - although we jumped from 26th to 18th after sunday night.

Unfortunately we were successful vs Bears in 3rd & long just not 4th.

Terrible result but I'll continue to argue that Wink is a great D coordinator and we're fortunate to have him.

Tyus is looking like a real bargain lately. We need more defensive leaders standing up and speaking out.

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by 00000
    Well it helps that we already extended Bowser - so its not costing him anything. He really hadnt proven too much before the new deal.
    " Tyus Bowser signed a 4 year contract worth $22 million with the Ravens. $12 million is guaranteed including an $8 million signing bonus. Another $5 million in incentives are available. "

Both the Ravens and Bowser took a "chance." Maybe he's looking to collect on those incentives OR he has matured into a fine OLB. I seem to feel it's the latter... Nc

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    So you want the blitzes to be even easier to pick up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think blitzing Queen/Bynes/Welch has as much of a chance at getting home as blitzing Clark/Young/Stephens. At least in the case of the former, they guys that would be in coverage are better at it. Sometimes it isn't even a true "blitz" (sending 5 or more players on a rush) it's just the scheme rushing players that the offense wouldn't expect. I'd just rather have guys accustomed to running forward do the rushing and guys accustomed to back-pedaling and flipping their bodies around do the covering.

Part of the problem is that with everyone up on the LOS, even if we don't bring everyone and have folks drop into coverage, they are either backpedaling slower than the receivers are getting downfield or are turning their backs to run and losing track of where the receivers are.

Confusion is great and it pays off for us sometimes. But when the blitz gets picked up and you have receivers that can get behind the backers quickly, you get chunk plays.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yellajacket20 View Post
    Part of the problem is that with everyone up on the LOS, even if we don't bring everyone and have folks drop into coverage, they are either backpedaling slower than the receivers are getting downfield or are turning their backs to run and losing track of where the receivers are.

Confusion is great and it pays off for us sometimes. But when the blitz gets picked up and you have receivers that can get behind the backers quickly, you get chunk plays.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Those LBs backpedaling are simply dropping back into a zone, the corners and safeties are responsible for picking them up in a certain area of the field while those LBs continue to defend theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I think blitzing Queen/Bynes/Welch has as much of a chance at getting home as blitzing Clark/Young/Stephens. At least in the case of the former, they guys that would be in coverage are better at it. Sometimes it isn't even a true "blitz" (sending 5 or more players on a rush) it's just the scheme rushing players that the offense wouldn't expect. I'd just rather have guys accustomed to running forward do the rushing and guys accustomed to back-pedaling and flipping their bodies around do the covering.
    You are even admitting that there is value from unexpected players rushing the QB, blitz or not.

Hard to say it has no value when you are assigning it value in the same post.

But, could there be a happy middle ground where it is done a bit less? Yes. But there is absolutely value in keeping the r QB guessing snd sending DB’s on a blitz does that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk