Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 105.7 The Fan 2PM Show Weinman and LaCanfora are an utter embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by BillickFan View Post
    We really don't have a "must listen" sports show in this town. It's sad. I have 105.7 on in my car for play by play of O's games, or Terps games, but when it's not a live game....I quickly hop on to bluetooth & go to sirius or a podcast. Shrill, screamy, yelly, superiority-complex, small-wienered (guessing), pansy-ass hosts (minus Ed Norris & Rob Long) on all sports talk here. It's un-listenable. At least get a host who does legit film analysis & can tell us something we don't already know, or find a way to not make your buffoonery so off-putting. Local radio is terrible here, and I miss the old days of WNST 1570 - at least they had (at times) hosts who asked good questions & could bring some analysis or a look at the personalities behind the scenes. 105.7 - without live games - would never be listened to.
    I said when I lived in Maryland, the BEST advertisement for Sirius NFL Network IS 105.7 the Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    That's funny!!! Just thinking that myself. The only difference is that they get paid big bucks to do it. I've long ago stopped listening to any sports shows that don't rely on former players or coaches etc. etc. to supply opinion. All the rest are background noise to sell dish soap and shaving cream.
    They don't get paid "big bucks". Local talk show radio host make peanuts.

I don't like to bash the local radio guys (except Bruce), but I admit that the Ken and Jason show has become increasingly knee jerk, cynical and hard to enjoy.

Ken has always been a prisoner of the moment, loving or hating individual players or coaches based on a memory that doesn't seem capable or rewinding beyond an hour or two of stored observations.

I'm okay with criticism, by the way. Lamar did play crappy.

But where I have an issue with these two is (1) the tendency to be myopic and reactive, particularly Ken, as noted above, and (2) a tendency to present their criticism in the form of the sky-is-falling outrage, coupled with the certainty that they have all the answers if only the team would listen to them...particularly Jason.

They cherry pick observations in service to their own point of view. I don't mind when people have a point of view, but I do take issue when the show seems to be more about their points of view than about the teams or players. It's a pathological need to be right rather than a desire to be insightful. It really has started to feel like they take pleasure in shitting on the local teams, players, coaches, etc.

It really just wears me out, taking the joy out of being a sports fan when they harp on negatively day after day with no real balance.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by John Morris View Post
    They don't get paid "big bucks". Local talk show radio host make peanuts.
    I wrongly assumed those guys were national. I worked once upon a time during the heyday of radio in Canada. You don't need to remind me about making peanuts lol I have the t-shirt. The stars made good money, as did upper management and the sales guys but on the backs of the rest of us snooks.

Jokingly I told everyone I worked with that we should do a TV show based on this place. It was a zoo! A couple of years later something called WKRP Cincinnati turns up on the tube. I couldn't believe what an idiot I was. I worked with everyone of those characters at one station. They already existed, right in front of my nose and I was so dumb to let the opportunity of a lifetime go by.

Lamar WINS - that's all that counts - ask Baker!

6. Re: 105.7 The Fan 2PM Show Weinman and LaCanfora are an utter embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    I had to turn them off this afternoon.

For the second straight day they have crucified our franchise QB and former NFL MVP. The 24 year old is coming off a 17 day absence due to illness with no running game and a problematic defense, minus the last game.... They are talking up his 71 passer rating and the fact that he's thrown more picks than TD's in recent games. The overall 'Sky is Falling' is their gig..... trying to stir up shit. It was pathetic. Half the time when they aren't badmouthing Roman, Wink, O'Line, RB's etc.. they are screaming like to 15 year olds.

Other than Haney, no one on that station 105.7 is worth the time of day.
    Despite these problems, the Ravens have the best record in the AFC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I don't like to bash the local radio guys (except Bruce), but I admit that the Ken and Jason show has become increasingly knee jerk, cynical and hard to enjoy.

Ken has always been a prisoner of the moment, loving or hating individual players or coaches based on a memory that doesn't seem capable or rewinding beyond an hour or two of stored observations.

I'm okay with criticism, by the way. Lamar did play crappy.

But where I have an issue with these two is (1) the tendency to be myopic and reactive, particularly Ken, as noted above, and (2) a tendency to present their criticism in the form of the sky-is-falling outrage, coupled with the certainty that they have all the answers if only the team would listen to them...particularly Jason.

They cherry pick observations in service to their own point of view. I don't mind when people have a point of view, but I do take issue when the show seems to be more about their points of view than about the teams or players. It's a pathological need to be right rather than a desire to be insightful. It really has started to feel like they take pleasure in shitting on the local teams, players, coaches, etc.

It really just wears me out, taking the joy out of being a sports fan when they harp on negatively day after day with no real balance.
    This board after a loss

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I wrongly assumed those guys were national. I worked once upon a time during the heyday of radio in Canada. You don't need to remind me about making peanuts lol I have the t-shirt. The stars made good money, as did upper management and the sales guys but on the backs of the rest of us snooks.

Jokingly I told everyone I worked with that we should do a TV show based on this place. It was a zoo! A couple of years later something called WKRP Cincinnati turns up on the tube. I couldn't believe what an idiot I was. I worked with everyone of those characters at one station. They already existed, right in front of my nose and I was so dumb to let the opportunity of a lifetime go by.
    WKRP characters exist in almost every form of employment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    This board after a loss
    The week following a win is much more enjoyable than the week after a loss.

For the second straight day they have crucified our franchise QB and former NFL MVP. The 24 year old is coming off a 17 day absence due to illness with no running game and a problematic defense, minus the last game.... They are talking up his 71 passer rating and the fact that he's thrown more picks than TD's in recent games. The overall 'Sky is Falling' is their gig..... trying to stir up shit. It was pathetic. Half the time when they aren't badmouthing Roman, Wink, O'Line, RB's etc.. they are screaming like to 15 year olds.

You think listening to these clowns are bad you should check out laconforas Twitter.

He posts some very divisive, disgusting stuff.
    When the Kenosha shooting stuff happened he posted some really outlandish shit. He then deleted the tweets. I had snapshots of it on my old phone. I remember another one he posted really quickly was about most dangerous thing in this country is white people with guns about a shooting that happened then he deleted it once the shooter was identified and wasn’t white.

How he gets away with that stuff while being employed by cbs and 105.7 is beyond me.

He sucks. That show along with Coleman lost me while ago. The morning show is only one I usually listen to anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

It is FF data, so take it for what it is worth....

Data from the last 10 years shows that when a QB misses a game for an illness his productivity drops by 30 some percent in fantasy football, Larmar's drop was 39% this week. The same data show that it is only a one week drop and the subsequent week productivity returns to baseline, which bodes well for Lamar and the Ravens this week.

Lamar is not the prototypical QB and that drives some people crazy. He is the most gifted player in the NFL and sometimes tries to do too much and creates turnovers. It seems as though that Harbaugh and crew want to make Lamar a drop back QB but Lamar excels on the run when he creates plays. They want a guy like Brady or even Flacco but Lamer thrives on the edge where he is insanely successful and some people can't handle this type of play.