Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Navy - Terps rematch in Meineke Bowl?

So sez Yahoo Sports, in their bowl projections.

I'm half tempted to snag a flight to Charlotte for this one on December 30th. Navy-Maryland in 2005 at Ravens Stadium was one of the best college games I've ever seen. Both home teams have been very exciting all season. A rematch would be special.

Edit: Similar speculation in the Baltimore Examiner:

Despite this classic football contest, there are some people out there — including my colleague Matt Palmer, who wrote a column on it Wednesday — who think Maryland should steer clear from a bowl contest against Navy, the rationale being Maryland has nothing to gain by playing an “inferior” Navy squad.

..... Does Maryland have stronger, faster and more talented players than those at Navy? Yes. But that doesn’t mean the Terps are a better team. Navy’s disciplined approach and its hard-to-defend triple-option offense give the Mids a chance to win every week, especially at a neutral site.

Here’s the best part about this debate: It can be easily resolved if Maryland receives and accepts a bid to play in Charlotte. Whether Maryland is willing to take that risk is something that we’ll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Mista T; 12-01-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).