Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Playoff Contender Discussion

AFC PLAYOFF RACE/THOUGHTS AFTER HALF of Season.
    OK. Official Halfway Point of Season, through 9/18 weeks. Time to talk playoff standings/contenders.

OVERALL AFC THOUGHTS:
    The AFC has shown that after half a season, we really don’t know who the top contenders could be. Teams look great one week and putrid the next. What a roller coaster? Should be a fun ride for the rest of the season!

AS OF NOW, your playoff seeds are:
    DIVISION LEADERS
    Titans 7-2
    Impressive win vs Rams without Henry! Where did that defense come from? Pretty easy schedule down the stretch---4 should-be easy games (2 vs. Houston, 1 vs. Jax, 1 vs. Miami), 3 tougher games (vs. New Orl, @New England, @Pittsburgh) Division win is almost guaranteed, but could they snag top seed???
    Ravens 6-2
    Wow! They are incredibly inconsistent and unpredictable! Are they too injured to be legit contenders?
    Chargers 5-3
    Can they be consistent enough to be real contenders? Are they fading after losses to Ravens and Patriots, then barely squeaking out win vs Eagles? (Loss vs. Eagles would have really hurt them, but they found way to win---ugly---much like the Ravens)
    Bills 5-3
    How do they lose to the Jags? One bad game or sign of a flawed team?

IN POSITION FOR WILDCARD
    Raiders 5-3.
    Too much drama? Can they hang around and contend for playoff spot? Or do they collapse?
    Steelers 5-3
    How long can their defense keep them afloat? Will Ben make it through the season in one piece?
    Patriots 5-4
    Damn Patriots! Every time I count them out, they manage to hang in there.

CURRENTLY OUT, BUT HOPE STILL REMAINS
    Chiefs 5-4
    Got a huge break with Rodgers getting COVID! Defense looked respectable last 2 weeks...are they improved or was it their opponents, Giants and Rodgers-less Packers? Next 2 games are very key--@Raiders, and vs. Cowboys. AFC west seems to be coming back to them, so division very much still in play.
    Browns 5-4
    Impressive win vs Bengals. This team is clearly better without OBJ.
    Bengals 5-4
    Who are the real Bengals? The team that clobbered the Ravens or the team that lost to the lowly Jets then gets whooped by the Browns? Can this team be consistent enough to be serious contenders? Do they know how to handle success or do they fade?
    Broncos 5-4
    I was just about to write them off especially after they traded Miller seemingly giving up on season…then they clobbered the Cowboys at home!
    Colts 4-5
    Almost done. Can’t quite rule them out but close.

FIGHTING FOR DRAFT PICKS
    Jets, Jags, Texans, Dolphins

NFC PLAYOFF RACE/THOUGHTS AFTER HALF of Season.

OVERALL NFC THOUGHTS
    5 teams seem like they COULD be legit contenders---Cardinals, Packers, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Rams….after that, it’s anybody’s guess. I mean...if season ended today, the FALCONS would be in the playoffs...enough said about the conference outside those 5 teams!

AS OF NOW, your playoff seeds are:
    DIVISION LEADERS
    Cardinals 8-1
    No Kyler Murray. No Deandre Hopkiins? No problem. This team looks legit!
    Packers 7-2
    Damn Aaron Rodgers has all the power again. Clearly Love is not ready to be an NFL QB if he can’t even look good against KC’s defense. Like it or not--Packers can play with anybody as long as Rodgers is their QB. (proven by being only team to beat Cardinals)
    Buccaneers 6-2
    Damn Brady! Keeps getting it done! Ugghh!
    Cowboys 6-2
    Just when it starts to look like they might actually be contenders----they do that AT HOME vs. Denver…..maybe Dak came back too soon and it was a blip? Or is this the same ole Cowboys that aren’t ready for primetime (but of course will win that pathetic division)

IN POSITION FOR WILDCARD
    Rams 7-2
    Quite a clunker vs. Titans! What happened to their offense. Still, this team has weapons and can beat anybody. Looks like they may have to play on road as wildcard with the way Cardinals are playing...Scary thought...imagine if Von Miller looks like his old self next to Aaron Donald.
    Saints 5-3
    Not sexy. Not great. But, hard to see them not getting into playoffs and finishing with 1 of the top 7 records in a top-loaded NFC.
    Falcons 4-4
    Falcons? In playoff position? Middle/Bottom of NFC is weak!!!! Somebody has to claim 7th spot! Could it be Matt Ryan? Props to them for turning Cordarelle Patterson into a legit weapon!

CURRENTLY OUT, BUT HOPE STILL REMAINS
    Panthers 4-5
    Darnold looking like the QB that played for the Jets...but if CMC can stay healthy, they definitely could make a run at 7th and final playoff spot in NFC.
    Vikings 3-5
    Must be something about the color purple and close games. Difference between Vikings and Ravens. Vikings find ways to lose close games. Ravens find ways to win them (for now at least) Still, too much talent with Jefferson, Thielen, and Cook to discount them squeaking into playoffs.
    Seahawks 3-5
    Very intriguing team. Can Wilson lead them on a run and get them into playoffs. Could be a scary 7 seed with Wilson, Metcalf, Lockett, etc.
    49ers 3-5
    Not looking good. Got a huge break facing Colt McCoy instead of Kyler Murray….and blew it. Hard to see them contending but can’t quite count them out.

FIGHTING FOR DRAFT PICKS
    Bears, Eagles, Giants, Football Team, Lions

Re: Playoff Contender Discussion

This picture will look just as jumbled a month from now. Patriots will pass the Bills. We will be a contender, even if we do not win the division.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

You really don't know anything until after Thanksgiving. Right now the Titans look like the best team in the AFC

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I'm only going to comment on Buffalo. I'm not so sure the Bills are this powerhouse team that many people dubbed them to be before the season started. They've feasted on a lot of weak opponents so far, with wins against the Dolphins (x2), Washington, Houston, and KC. Their losses were by Pittsburgh, Tennessee, and Jacksonville. Their schedule gets much more difficult in the 2nd half, with games against the Saints, Bucs, Falcons, and 2 against the Patriots, so it will be interesting to see how they play against those teams. In the meantime, they better concentrate on the Jets this week. If the Jags can beat them, surely the Jets can too.

Give the NFL two weeks to adjust to TN without Henry and I think they shutdown their running attack. One dimensional Tannerhill will be in deep trouble. And I do not expect Henry back in the playoffs at any type of high level. Tanner hill will not get them to a SB with his arm.

The Bills are in real trouble. If their qb struggles they don’t have much margin for victory. Against bad teams I think they will be OK but good teams will frustrate them. If they let the Pats hang around by not beating them twice they will be a wild card team at best.

The Steelers will fade late like last year. Injuries have not hit them too hard yet but as they mount I think these close wins flip to close losses. Browns may be a wild card team, somebody has to be so why not them? But I do not see a Flacco run in Baker. The Bengals are a year or two away and the last two games showed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    Give the NFL two weeks to adjust to TN without Henry and I think they shutdown their running attack. One dimensional Tannerhill will be in deep trouble. And I do not expect Henry back in the playoffs at any type of high level. Tanner hill will not get them to a SB with his arm.

The Bills are in real trouble. If their qb struggles they don’t have much margin for victory. Against bad teams I think they will be OK but good teams will frustrate them. If they let the Pats hang around by not beating them twice they will be a wild card team at best.

The Steelers will fade late like last year. Injuries have not hit them too hard yet but as they mount I think these close wins flip to close losses. Browns may be a wild card team, somebody has to be so why not them? But I do not see a Flacco run in Baker. The Bengals are a year or two away and the last two games showed it.
    Titans--I agree that I don't think they scare teams and I don't think they will BE the best team in the AFCT. BUT, I still think they could get 1 seed...If they beat the teams they should (Texans twice, Jags, and Dolphins), that puts them at most with 5 losses, even if they lost other 3 (Saints, Steelers, Patriots)

Bills---I think I have more confidence in them than most. Maybe it's my hatred for the Pats and really not wanting to see them win division. Think they win at least 1 of 2 vs. Patriots and do enough to win division.

Steelers---I keep waiting for them to fade, but they haven't yet...we shall see.

LOTS of games within and between AFC North and AFC West left, which should be fascinating to watch. Both divisions are completely up in the air and unpredictable. I don't even know how to rank who I think the top contenders in each of those divisions are. I THINK at least 2 of the 3 wildcards will come from those divisions too (thought it would be all 3, but those damn Cheatriots just keeping finding ways to win...still hoping they crumble)

The AFC overall take is spot on. There are some dominant teams in the NFC but none in the AFC. It's a shame we lost so many important players before the season even began. A somewhat more healthy Ravens team could've convincingly looked like the best team in the conference.

If our defense can get sorted out, I think Lamar could work enough magic that we could be the team to beat in the AFC. If not, we have a tough final 7 games and could end up limping into the playoffs as a wild card. Moving Queen to Will seems to have helped some, but losing Elliot probably hurts a secondary that has already been pretty hit or miss. They need to get Oweh going again too.

One non-Ravens opinion I'll toss out is that I think the Titans will fail to capture the #1 seed without Henry. Obviously they should cruise to a division title, but I don't think they will continue to look like one of the best teams in the conference.

Right now the AFCN has four teams with winning records. Is it possible, with 3 wildcard slots, that the whole division makes the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post

Ryan Tannehill is consistently underrated, I feel. The guy is accurate, throws a great deep ball, and has legitimate weapons in AJ Brown and now Julio is playing too. Their defense is playing at an extremely high level.

The Titans won’t be an easy out, going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Right now the AFCN has four teams with winning records. Is it possible, with 3 wildcard slots, that the whole division makes the playoffs?
    It is possible...but the crazy thing is...the AFCW also has 4 teams with winning records, so you could say the same thing about them. Hard to see a whole division getting in.

My guess is North takes 1-2 wildcards, West takes 1-2 wildcards, East might get 1 wildcard. (somehow the Pats have hung around...still hoping they fall out). South--Colts only hope and they are hanging on by a thread.

Blog Entries

A co-worker who is a Steelers fan and I were looking at the AFC North schedules for the end of the year. The last 4 games for every team in the division could end up shaping the whole season. They are very difficult for the entire AFC North with multiple games against each other. If no team is able to get a significant lead by then and we remain bunched up then any of the 4 could take the division

Thoughts/predictions as of 11/15
    Listed in order of current playoff standing from ESPN.com

1-Titans (will win div. easily)
    2-Bills-Can’t see them missing playoffs with record and schedule remaining. Pats hanging around for division
    3-Ravens-Hard to have confidence in them after Thursday night. Tough schedule remaining, but have played good teams well this year (with exception of Bengals game)
    4-Chiefs-Still flawed, but appear to have regained control of West--tough to see a Mahomes team not making playoffs. Rest of West seems like they are not ready to compete.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    5-Steelers-Wow that was ugly vs. Lions. Very possible Ben misses Chargers game next week. Can’t see them winning that one with Ben. Still a scary team though. Offense struggling but that defense is LEGIT.
    6-Patriots-This one pains me as I can’t stand watching them be successful. They look really good recently. 3 easy games left (Atl, Miami, Jags) 4 tougher games (2 vs. Bills, Colts, Titans)---they win the 3 they should + 1 other puts them at 10-7 and decent chance of playoffs.
    7-Chargers-Struggling recently, but still very talented and could easily get wildcard. (or division if Chiefs play like they did early in season)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    8-Raiders-Seem to be fading, but who knows? Maybe they can turn around
    9-Bengals-What a week they had….sitting back and watching Ravens and Browns lose and Steelers tie Lions. Strong division contender. Already 2-1 within division so far.
    10-Colts-Up to .500. Can’t count them out yet. We’ll find out more about them after next 2 weeks---@Buffalo and vs. Tampa. Win both of those and they will be in very good shape. Win 1--still in contention. Lose both--have 0 margin for error.
    11-Browns--seem to be fading..I think they may be better off playing Keenum than an injured Mayfield. Still a ton of talent, so can’t count them out.
    12-Broncos--I think they will fade...they surprised me last week by whipping Dallas, but fell back to Earth vs. Eagles….that’s a tough loss for them...they really needed that one with their remaining schedule.