Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 192021
    Blog Entries

Re: Maybe it's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I'm not sure, but honestly I don't care. It was funny so I laughed.

I do not have the time to waste caring what everyone else thinks.
    True. Same here.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I guess that's why political comedy doesn't resonate with me. Just like the guy you mentioned - I feel that they (the comedians, no matter which way they lean) mean it. And that they have an agenda so they really can't be trusted. Your friend probably feels that Dave can't be trusted and he's racist at his core.
    A guy like Carson could pull off political comedy because one joke would be about a conservative like Reagan and the next about a liberal like Carter.

It also helped the jokes weren't mean-spirited.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    No, it has everything to do with his country accent and that he often mumbles make him very hard to understand.
    Honestly, that's probably where the lack of an agent gets him.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Good point. I think it's also why many whites have no problem with Dave Chappelle. His humor is intuitive and observational. Interestingly enough, he tells a story of being in a meeting with white executives and noticing a couple of them laughing "a little too hard", as he puts it, at one of his skits where he makes jokes about Black people. At that point, they were laughing at him and not with him, he says.
    And because Chappelle is easily one of the most talented comedians of our life time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    And because Chappelle is easily one of the most talented comedians of our life time.

I remember one of Chappelle's first national shows on the Young Comedians special from Aspen back in the late 80's. Each comedian got 5 or 10 minutes for their act, and nobody came close to drawing the amount of laughter Chappelle did. I always remember his opening lines. "Aspen, Colorado," he said, doing that pause while looking around that he's so famous for now, "where the hell are all your black people".

Then he told a joke/story that he prefaced by asking if anybody there had seen something so racist they couldn't get mad, just had to sit back and go, "Damn, that's racist". He'd done a show in Mississippi and stopped into a diner where a waitress asked everybody except Chappell what they wanted to eat. He questioned her about it and she said she already knew he wanted the fried chicken. The punchline is that he did want some fried chicken but if he orders it he's perpetuating a trope.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I remember one of Chappelle's first national shows on the Young Comedians special from Aspen back in the late 80's. Each comedian got 5 or 10 minutes for their act, and nobody came close to drawing the amount of laughter Chappelle did. I always remember his opening lines. "Aspen, Colorado," he said, doing that pause while looking around that he's so famous for now, "where the hell are all your black people".

Then he told a joke/story that he prefaced by asking if anybody there had seen something so racist they couldn't get mad, just had to sit back and go, "Damn, that's racist". He'd done a show in Mississippi and stopped into a diner where a waitress asked everybody except Chappell what they wanted to eat. He questioned her about it and she said she already knew he wanted the fried chicken. The punchline is that he did want some fried chicken but if he orders it he's perpetuating a trope.
    That's pretty funny.

Funny thing is he is a Montgomery County MD kid from Silver Spring area. He said they were "poor" growing up which if you live in Montgomery County I could see feeling that way compared to your little middle class buddies but Silver Spring wasn't exactly the hood. It was probably more white/blue collar than that. He talks about that time in his life and it's pretty funny though. Complaining to his dad about being poor. My family was from over in PG County right on the other side of Silver Spring from where we are now in Rockville. Then when IBM built it's Gaithersburg campus we moved to where we are now.

https://youtu.be/FkK0MYD-HcI

This is also what I'm referring to with "black jokes". You can tell the difference between he and Crowder because Burr makes observational jokes that 1. are actually good jokes and 2. only come from actually spending time with and around people who are different than yourself.

Crowder may actually turn out to be a funny guy, but he clearly allows his bigotry to mask any potential talent he has. Lol honestly I don't think I've ever seen a picture of him with a black person. I don't think he works with any black people or anything. Dude has deep seeded issues

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    https://youtu.be/FkK0MYD-HcI

This is also what I'm referring to with "black jokes". You can tell the difference between he and Crowder because Burr makes observational jokes that 1. are actually good jokes and 2. only come from actually spending time with and around people who are different than yourself.

Crowder may actually turn out to be a funny guy, but he clearly allows his bigotry to mask any potential talent he has. Lol honestly I don't think I've ever seen a picture of him with a black person. I don't think he works with any black people or anything. Dude has deep seeded issues

You can tell all that from a video?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post

His joke in Killing em Softly about a waitress knowing he'd order chicken when he came into a restaurant is hilarious. "I thought I liked chicken because it tasted good, I didn't know I was genetically predisposed to the shit"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post

You're talking to someone with a Phd in racism.

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post

Well he's also been married to a black person for a long time as well. Which probably also means he's been around her black family for very long periods of time as well.

But is that not true for any culture? Would an Italian not be able to tell the difference between somebody who just talks about Italians and someone who's actually been around and spent time with Italians?

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    Well he's also been married to a black person for a long time as well. Which probably also means he's been around her black family for very long periods of time as well.

But is that not true for any culture? Would an Italian not be able to tell the difference between somebody who just talks about Italians and someone who's actually been around and spent time with Italians?

I was talking about Crowder. You seem to be basing all of your opinions on him and who he is from an act that he does on YouTube as a comedian.

I don't focus on someone's race or ethnicity enough to care about who they hang out with. If they are making money as a comedian, I take it as an act. It may make me feel uncomfortable, but I don't assign any ulterior motive to it.

You are obsessed with race. It literally consumes your every thought. I feel bad because I'm sure you are more than that as a person but that ends up being all anyone sees.

You can always look for an excuse as to why someone doesn't like you or someone has more than you, or you can not give a shit, work harder, and get whatever you want.