Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Maybe it's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    It's just you. And your alter egos, lol.

When someone who can play like superman shits the bed three years in a row and only has one playoff win in 3 post seasons I'm not sure what else you would expect them to say. Our 3 playoff losses are probably the most unwatchable horrible games he has had in the NFL. Doesn't matter if it's not all his fault. QB's get blamed. That's the way it is. Allen made it all the way to the AFCCG last year. When Lamar gets more than one win, hell even one convincing wing in the playoffs or has one of his superman games then it will stop. Why don't you just say what you really think is going on here. It will stop when Lamar makes it stop. The Ravens were doubted and shat on by a hating press every step of the way in 2000. You know what made it stop? Ray Lewis and company made it stop with their play. They won it all and shut everyone the hell up.
    lol what are you talking about? Alter ego's? Dude, you're weird.

Flacco had the same kind of reputation, especially nationally until 2012 when we won it all. That killer instinct and comfort level in the playoffs takes time to develop. I don’t believe in a “clutch gene”. Other than a couple trolls here and there I don’t think there’s anybody on this board who doubts Lamar’s ability to win in the playoffs. One of these years the stars will align for us and no one will be able to say anything. 2018 we were transitioning from Flacco, 2019 we didn’t have a good enough defense, and last year our O line was decimated by injuries. Plus, Lamar isn’t going to tank the franchise when he gets paid so his window is probably at least 5-6 more years.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    But, I saw a YouTube comment and it encapsulated how I've always felt. Does anyone else feel like Lamar has been the been the fastest in NFL history to reach the "He can't win the big one" critique? I'm under 30 years old, but I've watched football my whole life. I don't ever remember seeing a player have to jump through this crazy hoop so early.
    Hmm. Maybe.

Peyton Manning got that critique. He went 0-3 in the playoffs thru age 26, and 3-6 thru age 29. "Finally" won the SB in his age-30 season.

I think John Elway got that too, for losing a number of SBs. Which is probably unfair, since he dragged those teams kicking & screaming, to the SB.

Speaking of losing SBs: Fran Tarkenton??

Tony Romo got criticism for being un-clutch. Steve Young.

To your point, ALL of those players were much older than Lamar, before those narratives crystallized.

And besides Patrick Mahomes, I don't see any of contemporaries get any of the same critiques. ... It's incredible to me How every conversation surrounding this Lamar jumps straight to the playoff success hoop while other guys get to slide on by.
    You're right.

I think it's mostly because of the play style. It drives a lot of "is this sustainable?" narratives and clicks and sound-bites.

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    The skills he lacks will keep expanding. He’s redefining the QB position while “tradition” keeps trying to put him into that traditional peg. I don’t remember other QB’s being criticized for not checking all the boxes, never remember comments like Marino can’t run, or Dan Fouts for not being mobile. Lamar wins in a way many people aren’t comfortable with. Hell, this board obsessed over whether he could throw outside. Check that box. Now what does he have to do?
    The reason Fouts and Marino weren't criticized for lack of mobility is because it was a different era. QBs were supposed to be traditional pocket passers. Things have evolved to where mobile and running QBs are more appreciated, partially because of rule changes benefiting them.

Lamar did have some of the issues he was being criticized for but he is a young QB and is getting better every game. I'm not sure some of the criticism was unwarranted at the time. It was obvious that if he didn't improve on certain things he may have hit a ceiling.

My issue is with anyone who said he couldn't improve on them and that he was just a running back. You could see the arm talent, he just needed time to refine it at the NFL level. Getting some new receiving talent and coaches helped as well.

What does he have to do? Win a SuperBowl. Fair or not, that is ultimately how every QB in the NFL is judged. As great as Marino was his name was never mentioned without adding "but he never won a Superbowl."

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Our 3 playoff losses are probably the most unwatchable horrible games he has had in the NFL.
    That's an interesting take.

▪ In the 2018 playoff game, as the youngest QB in NFL history to start in the postseason, when they finally let him throw the ball in the 4th quarter Lamar passed for 168 yds and 2 TDs, to the tune of a 116.5 passer rating. That's pretty good for one quarter's worth of work. It's actually more 4th quarter yards than Lamar passed for in his historic performance 2 weeks ago vs Indy on MNF.

▪ In the 2019 playoff game, Lamar personally generated over 500 combined yards: 365 yds passing, 143 yds rushing.
    That's the second highest combined total in NFL postseason history. The top 5:

Player Date Total Yds
    Tom Brady 2018-02-04 511
    Lamar Jackson 2020-01-11 508
    Ben Roethlisberger 2021-01-10 501
    Bernie Kosar 1987-01-03 489
    Andrew Luck 2014-01-04 488

Only Kosar & Luck won their games. Brady's game was the SB vs Philly.

NB there's only been 27 postseason games where QBs have had over 400 combined yards in NFL history. Daryle Lamonica was the earliest, in 1968.

▪ In the 2020 playoff game vs Bills, conditions were horrible with that wind. Josh Allen actually had a worse day passing than Lamar did: 5.6 yards-per-attempt vs Lamar's 6.2. Justin Tucker missed two FGs! So did whoever kicks for the Bills.

Lamar's pass-pro fell apart, and he got knocked out of the game with a concussion.

If you were trying to brainstorm a list of "excuses" that are actually acceptable reasons for a QB to have a poor statistical game, those would be pretty high up on there:

• a wind so bad that Josh Allen can't force passes thru it; so bad that Justin Tucker misses 2 FGs
    • pass protection falls apart
    • QB gets knocked out of the game with concussion

I mean, I get that they don't give out rings and hold parades for excuses or "reasons". But if someone doesn't take into account what actually happened that day, they're not paying attention.

For me the most unwatchable horrible game Lamar has had in the NFL was last season vs Chiefs.

It will stop when Lamar makes it stop. ... They won it all and shut everyone the hell up.
    Yeah. Ultimately this is the truth. The only thing that will silence the "a QB like Lamar can't win a championship" crowd is to actually win it.

Honestly I think Lamar would need to win two, before whispers about a fluke and being lucky etc would really stop.

One of the things that pisses me off about this season, is that Lamar is playing so goddam well that he can drag this depleted O-line and ragtag RB corps to the postseason. But once they're there, I am skeptical that these Tackles can hold up against postseason pass rushes, or that these RBs can generate any big plays to help ease the pressure on the pass-pro. They'll lose a game, and it will feed the Lamar Playoffs narrative. That's bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

▪ In the 2018 playoff game, as the youngest QB in NFL history to start in the postseason, when they finally let him throw the ball in the 4th quarter Lamar passed for 168 yds and 2 TDs, to the tune of a 116.5 passer rating. That's pretty good for one quarter's worth of work. It's actually more 4th quarter yards than Lamar passed for in his historic performance 2 weeks ago vs Indy on MNF.

▪ In the 2019 playoff game, Lamar personally generated over 500 combined yards: 365 yds passing, 143 yds rushing.

Player Date Total Yds
    Tom Brady 2018-02-04 511

NB there's only been 27 postseason games where QBs have had over 400 combined yards in NFL history. Daryle Lamonica was the earliest, in 1968.

▪ In the 2020 playoff game vs Bills, conditions were horrible with that wind. Josh Allen actually had a worse day passing than Lamar did: 5.6 yards-per-attempt vs Lamar's 6.2. Justin Tucker missed two FGs! So did whoever kicks for the Bills.

Lamar's pass-pro fell apart, and he got knocked out of the game with a concussion.

If you were trying to brainstorm a list of "excuses" that are actually acceptable reasons for a QB to have a poor statistical game, those would be pretty high up on there:

• a wind so bad that Josh Allen can't force passes thru it; so bad that Justin Tucker misses 2 FGs

I mean, I get that they don't give out rings and hold parades for excuses or "reasons". But if someone doesn't take into account what actually happened that day, they're not paying attention.

For me the most unwatchable horrible game Lamar has had in the NFL was last season vs Chiefs.

Yeah. Ultimately this is the truth. The only thing that will silence the "a QB like Lamar can't win a championship" crowd is to actually win it.

Honestly I think Lamar would need to win two, before whispers about a fluke and being lucky etc would really stop.

One of the things that pisses me off about this season, is that Lamar is playing so goddam well that he can drag this depleted O-line and ragtag RB corps to the postseason. But once they're there, I am skeptical that these Tackles can hold up against postseason pass rushes, or that these RBs can generate any big plays to help ease the pressure on the pass-pro. They'll lose a game, and it will feed the Lamar Playoffs narrative. That's bullshit.
    I'm not going to rehash everything you just posted by I agree 100%

It's one thing for national media looking for a soundbite to make some of the claims about Lamar in the playoffs. It's quite another for folks that actually WATCH the games to reach those same conclusions. If your assessment is "Lamar sucks in the playoffs" then I just don't know what to say to that...

Blog Entries

Player Date Total Yds
    Tom Brady 2018-02-04 511

I agree 100%. Especially the bolded part. There's not enough talent currently around him to win it all. Unless he goes off on a historic run. This is why I compare him to a young Michael Jordan. Bets player in the game, but needed talent around him to win it all.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I agree 100%. Especially the bolded part. There's not enough talent currently around him to win it all. Unless he goes off on a historic run. This is why I compare him to a young Michael Jordan. Bets player in the game, but needed talent around him to win it all.
    While I generally agree with you here ….couldn’t this be said about Every young QB? Not the Jordan part , the Needs talent around him , part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bills went 13-3 last year with Allen finishing second in the MVP race. Absolutely no one ever questions his ability to win in the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Because he lost to the new Goat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the 2018 playoff game, as the youngest QB in NFL history to start in the postseason, when they finally let him throw the ball in the 4th quarter Lamar passed for 168 yds and 2 TDs, to the tune of a 116.5 passer rating. That's pretty good for one quarter's worth of work. It's actually more 4th quarter yards than Lamar passed for in his historic performance 2 weeks ago vs Indy on MNF.

In the 2019 playoff game, Lamar personally generated over 500 combined yards: 365 yds passing, 143 yds rushing.

Player Date Total Yds
    Tom Brady 2018-02-04 511

In the 2020 playoff game vs Bills, conditions were horrible with that wind. Josh Allen actually had a worse day passing than Lamar did: 5.6 yards-per-attempt vs Lamar's 6.2. Justin Tucker missed two FGs! So did whoever kicks for the Bills.

I actually think that some of the reason Lamar gets criticized is because of excuses like this. He hasn't been great in the playoffs overall. The 2018 game you reference wasn't a well played game. He got his yards in the 4th quarter because the game wasn't close and the defense was in prevent.

Excuses like wind and weather and whatever else are just that as well. Excuses that great QBs don't need and wouldn't use. Lamar would never use those excuses. In fact Lamar is much more honest about his shortcomings than many fans on here.

That doesn't mean Lamar isn't great and getting better. He is. He's a young QB with an incredible skill set and is only getting better. I'm not sure why fans can't accept that and realize the best times are ahead. He was not perfect or great in any of those playoff losses. You have to be great in the playoffs to win. Those losses were part of the process of him becoming great. Relax and enjoy the ride. The Baltimore inferiority complex is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I'm not going to rehash everything you just posted by I agree 100%

It's one thing for national media looking for a soundbite to make some of the claims about Lamar in the playoffs. It's quite another for folks that actually WATCH the games to reach those same conclusions. If your assessment is "Lamar sucks in the playoffs" then I just don't know what to say to that...
    Lamar's overall stat line in playoffs:

1 win 3 losses

56% completion percentage

3tds - 5 ints.

5 fumbles

I don't care how you spin that, any QB in the playoffs that has those statistics is going to be criticized. Every single one. There isn't some hidden bias or agenda against Lamar. He hasn't played his best in the playoffs. Very few young QBs do.

"We just beat ourselves," Jackson said. "I had a lot of mistakes on my behalf. Three turnovers — that shouldn't happen. But (Tennessee) came out to play."

Last edited by TIGERBLOOD; 10-22-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    Lamar's overall stat line in playoffs:

1 win 3 losses

56% completion percentage

3tds - 5 ints.

5 fumbles

I don't care how you spin that, any QB in the playoffs that has those statistics is going to be criticized. Every single one. There isn't some hidden bias or agenda against Lamar. He hasn't played his best in the playoffs. Very few young QBs do.

"We just beat ourselves," Jackson said. "I had a lot of mistakes on my behalf. Three turnovers — that shouldn't happen. But (Tennessee) came out to play."

But you're pretty much making the point of this post. No young qb, including our beloved Joe did well in the playoffs, yet no young qb has gotten even near the amount of criticism that Lamar has and that's just a fact. Lamar has received more criticism in his 3 years than Matthew Stafford and Matt Ryan have received in their entire careers! And they were both number 1 draft picks! And they threw to Megatron and Julio, while Lamar was out here trying to get it done with Willie Snead and Seth Roberts.

It's ridiculous and you know it. No agenda my butt.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk