Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Browns fans ask, “Can anyone remember a team this banged up ever?”

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I love that it took all of four posts before someone started blaming the strength and conditioning/coaching staff.

I'm thinking, "Damn, this sounds familiar."
    I blame it on the current state of the NFL player.

NFL players have been training their bodies, since their PeeWee football days to be bigger, faster, stronger - a task with which they have succeeded far beyond the NFL norms of 50 - 60 years ago. The Baltimore Colt HOF players would be laughed at for the physical 'short comings' if they were to show up in a NFL camp today. In virtually every case, the complaint would be 'boy you've got to bulk up'. Players, depending upon position, are nominally 20 to 80 pounds heavier, can bench probably 50 pounds more and are probably a half second faster in the 40 than players were 50 - 60 years ago. All that mass, speed and strength create much more violent collisions than happened back in the day. All this mass, speed and strength is still held together in the human body by the same ligaments and tendons that held together the bodies of their forbearers. The ligaments and tendons aren't up to the task.

Weds night trivia at Sullivan’s Cove tonight in Severna Park. One of the questions tonight was about which NFL team only had 3 winning seasons since 1990 despite winning 3 NFL championships in the 50’s.

We wrote Crybaby Cleveland Browns on our answer slip.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post

NFL players have been training their bodies, since their PeeWee football days to be bigger, faster, stronger - a task with which they have succeeded far beyond the NFL norms of 50 - 60 years ago. The Baltimore Colt HOF players would be laughed at for the physical 'short comings' if they were to show up in a NFL camp today. In virtually every case, the complaint would be 'boy you've got to bulk up'. Players, depending upon position, are nominally 20 to 80 pounds heavier, can bench probably 50 pounds more and are probably a half second faster in the 40 than players were 50 - 60 years ago. All that mass, speed and strength create much more violent collisions than happened back in the day. All this mass, speed and strength is still held together in the human body by the same ligaments and tendons that held together the bodies of their forbearers. The ligaments and tendons aren't up to the task.
    It's the proverbial performance sports car that's high maintenance and inevitably breaks down. And requires expensive parts.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Browns fans ask, “Can anyone remember a team this banged up ever?”

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post

mmi16, yours is an excellent explanation on the limitations of human physiology. I don't know what the limits are, but each player has his and some have already reached or exceeded theirs. I can only imagine what athletes will be like in 25 years and the picture isn't pretty.

Mother Nature never planned for this... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Weds night trivia at Sullivan’s Cove tonight in Severna Park. One of the questions tonight was about which NFL team only had 3 winning seasons since 1990 despite winning 3 NFL championships in the 50’s.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    mmi16, yours is an excellent explanation on the limitations of human physiology. I don't know what the limits are, but each player has his and some have already reached or exceeded theirs. I can only imagine what athletes will be like in 25 years and the picture isn't pretty.

Mother Nature never planned for this... Bc
    Actually, I think it does. Usually, those extremely twitchy and athletic species do not tend to live long. Trees? No problem. Whales and tortoises, very good to not bad. A cheetah? 12 years. Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post

Even the Lions, who also won 3 titles in the 50’s, have 5 winning seasons since 1999, when the new Browns started.

Blog Entries

Browns activate Jarvis Landry off injured reserve :

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...jured-reserve/

... Bc

Considering what's happened to the Ravens this year, I can't cry too much for the Browns. Sorry.