Blog Entries

Are the Ravens the 2017 Steelers?

UTree said something terrifying on his video this week

Ravens Colts 18:36
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2hhqErjfk

The Ravens are the 2017 Steelers:
    Playing down to competition
    Constantly being bailed out by high end talent

He would know since he's a Steelers fan. I'm not sure, do the Ravens have the high end talent the 2017 Steelers did? It sure seems like the Ravens (on LJ's back) are finding ways to win. I'm just not sure if it is being bailed out by high end talent. But then I look at the last two games.

What do you think?

Re: Are the Ravens the 2017 Steelers?

I don't think the 2017 Steelers started the seasom with 15 on IR......so no.

We're the 2021 Ravens

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    We're the 2021 Ravens
    OK, concrete thinking: you are technically correct. [the best kind of correct]

Comparatively are the Ravens heading for heartbreak because they can't expect high end talent to bail them out all the time?

I'm leaning to divine providence myself, I just wanted to kind of take the temperature of the room.

I think they're still adjusting to all of the injuries, and trying to figure out WTF is wrong with the defense. Aside from the Detroit letdown, I don't think they're "playing down".
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    UTree said something terrifying on his video this week

Ravens Colts 18:36
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2hhqErjfk

The Ravens are the 2017 Steelers:
    Playing down to competition
    Constantly being bailed out by high end talent

He would know since he's a Steelers fan. I'm not sure, do the Ravens have the high end talent the 2017 Steelers did? It sure seems like the Ravens (on LJ's back) are finding ways to win. I'm just not sure if it is being bailed out by high end talent. But then I look at the last two games.

What do you think?
    We have Lamar Jackson and you’re asking if we really have high end talent

The league has become more competitive over the years. Think parity. Even the bottom dwellers show up and fight. Look across the league the last 3-4 years and you'll see that every week the subpar teams are hanging with the top teams for 3-3/12 quarters. I used to subscribe to this "playing down to the competition" narrative in recent years but don't any longer.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

I don't think that's a valid comp due to the fact that our Oline still ain't right, Boyle hasn't played and we lost our top 3 RBs and our 1st round pick. The Ravens are being "bailed out" by sheer will and determination and yes, a transcendent talent at the QB position. I think of LJ as the MJ of the NFL. First part of his career doing out of this world things but couldn't advance in the playoffs because he needed a Robin to his Batman. I think they might have it this year, but it's actually not an offensive player. It's Oweh. What the defense is sorely lacking in consistency they have been able to overcome because of game changing plays by the rookie. Turnovers are the great equalizer in football. It's jarring as a Ravens fan to watch teams running up and down the field on our D, but as long as you have a true playmaker on your defense, you are always just a play away from turning a game. And with a guy like Lamar, that's all he needs is a chance.

If the Ravens were at full strength(or even close) then I would buy the "playing down" argument. Also I think Detroit has shown they aren't actually a bad team they just can't seem to finish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    We have Lamar Jackson and you’re asking if we really have high end talent
    No, I'm not sure it is "bailed out" by high end talent

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I don't think that's a valid comp due to the fact that our Oline still ain't right, Boyle hasn't played and we lost our top 3 RBs and our 1st round pick. The Ravens are being "bailed out" by sheer will and determination and yes, a transcendent talent at the QB position. I think of LJ as the MJ of the NFL. First part of his career doing out of this world things but couldn't advance in the playoffs because he needed a Robin to his Batman. I think they might have it this year, but it's actually not an offensive player. It's Oweh. What the defense is sorely lacking in consistency they have been able to overcome because of game changing plays by the rookie. Turnovers are the great equalizer in football. It's jarring as a Ravens fan to watch teams running up and down the field on our D, but as long as you have a true playmaker on your defense, you are always just a play away from turning a game. And with a guy like Lamar, that's all he needs is a chance.

If the Ravens were at full strength(or even close) then I would buy the "playing down" argument. Also I think Detroit has shown they aren't actually a bad team they just can't seem to finish.
    Steelers had massive holes in the roster that year due to poor roster building, the Ravens equivalent is the injuries.

It isn't exactly the same thing (one is done by incompetence the other is snake bitten), but the overall situation could be comparable. Both have/had situations which don't seem sustainable. However there seems to be providence in the Ravens winning, but maybe that's just because I'm a Ravens fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    Steelers had massive holes in the roster that year due to poor roster building, the Ravens equivalent is the injuries.

It isn't exactly the same thing (one is done by incompetence the other is snake bitten), but the overall situation could be comparable. Both have/had situations which don't seem sustainable. However there seems to be providence in the Ravens winning, but maybe that's just because I'm a Ravens fan.
    Yeah I guess you'd have to take the approach of "well the Ravens have Lamar Jackson, Hollywood and Andrews - they should be able to beat most teams...". As a Ravens fan that is a foreign concept to me. Plus the defense is playing like hot garbage at times, so no game feels like an easy win to me.

Don't think of it as a superior team playing down - it is more like the inferior team playing out of their bodies, until the superiority wears them down in the 4th quarter.