Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Gruden

Re: Jon Gruden

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    No doubt. Like Albert breer said over at SI and I'm paraphrasing: this is the difference between those who receive the checks and those who write them.

If anyone wants to feel indignant about this situation, it's that particular dynamic.

But spare us the Gruden is a victim bs.
    This!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Neanderthal meathead coaching culture.
    Far more pervasive than that. It's good 'ol boy culture. And it's a particular kind of boy that gets the privilege to operate freely within it.
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Blog Entries

No doubt. Like Albert breer said over at SI and I'm paraphrasing: this is the difference between those who receive the checks and those who write them.

If anyone wants to feel indignant about this situation, it's that particular dynamic.

"We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

He is a victim of a double standard at least. The NFL has roughly 51% of it's players with criminal records and another % that has done terrible things like Karheem Hunt, Tyreek Hill etc. but haven't been convicted of a crime. They're still employed while Gruden is not for some mean words.

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    Gotta protect the owners. Eyeroll

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    It's crazy and the NFL are crazy if they think they'll get away with it, but I'm not sure that's their plan. Surely it can't be?

An attempted cover-up would really damage their brand and hurt the other owners' pockets if sponsors and advertisers start objecting. The NFL have wanted rid of Snyder for years and they have all the ammunition they could ever need. I think they'll quietly try to get him to sell but otherwise they'll release the information in the off season to force him out, when the publicity won't distract from the football.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    He is a victim of a double standard at least. The NFL has roughly 51% of it's players with criminal records and another % that has done terrible things like Karheem Hunt, Tyreek Hill etc. but haven't been convicted of a crime. They're still employed while Gruden is not for some mean words.
    I'm glad we're not tolerating racist, sexist and homophobic "mean words" any longer. Gruden was employed to be the leader and face of a multibillion dollar organisation which depends on black players and at least one gay player, all of whom have female relatives. He's the face and voice of 1/32nd of the NFL. That role requires a different standard of behavior than would be tolerated from players. It's only a double standard if another Head Coach had got away with it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I'm glad we're not tolerating racist, sexist and homophobic "mean words" any longer. Gruden was employed to be the leader and face of a multibillion dollar organisation which depends on black players and at least one gay player, all of whom have female relatives. He's the face and voice of 1/32nd of the NFL. That role requires a different standard of behavior than would be tolerated from players. It's only a double standard if another Head Coach had got away with it.
    This. Had he spewed the same vitriol as a gas station attendant, no one would care. But unto whom much is given........
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Which makes it interesting to see the different viewpoints on the topic. Not that I disagree with some of Jam31 sentiments, but why do you even watch/support the product? Football at it's core is a neanderthal sport with a meathead culture. And it has been forever, with most of these guys not hiding who they really are. Stop the paradox and start living what you believe in - stop watching altogether.

He is a victim of a double standard at least. The NFL has roughly 51% of it's players with criminal records...
    Absolutely, 100% False. In fact, the arrest rate for NFL players is actually LOWER than for the general population:
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ar...g-for-the-nfl/

...They're still employed while Gruden is not for some mean words.
    Welcome to the world of "at-will" employment. Private companies such as the NFL can fire your stupid ass if you do something they don't like. Even if it happened before you worked there. Even if you feel really, REALLY sorry now. Even if other people have done worse things than you.

This isn't a violation of his 1st Amendment rights, or his rights to privacy. He's a grown-ass man, not some kid who did some stupid shit back in college that he now regrets. He wrote a bunch of ignorant, bigoted crap. He is accountable for his actions.

This is called "Personal Responsibility".
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teagues View Post
    Which makes it interesting to see the different viewpoints on the topic. Not that I disagree with some of Jam31 sentiments, but why do you even watch/support the product? Football at it's core is a neanderthal sport with a meathead culture. And it has been forever, with most of these guys not hiding who they really are. Stop the paradox and start living what you believe in - stop watching altogether.
    I watched one or two games last year, plus the playoff games which were more of a reason to gather with friends then anything. I watched some of the Raiders game a most of last nights.

Since the Ravens came out and supported criminals over cops and the NFL as a whole has taken a similar stance last year, I really don't care and rarely watch, if ever and if I do it's a time killer more than anything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    100% False
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ar...g-for-the-nfl/

Welcome to the world of "at-will" employment. Private companies such as the NFL can fire your stupid ass if you do something they don't like. Even if it happened before you worked there. Even if you feel really, REALLY sorry now. Even if other people have done worse things than you.

This isn't a violation of his 1st Amendment rights, or his rights to privacy. He's a grown-ass man, not some kid who did some stupid shit back in college that he now regrets. He wrote a bunch of ignorant, bigoted crap. He is accountable for his actions.

This is called "Personal Responsibility".
    Cool, never claimed that.

I said it's a double standard when a guy says bigoted, sexist words and is unemployed but whether it be half or about half of the league ARE criminals and others are suspended for a few games for ACTUALLY kicking women or punching kids and still employed, THAT is a double standard.

I bet if I looked, I could find a thread where posters on this board wondered if we should sign Kahreem hunt after he was eligible to play.

Classic. Poor Jonny misogynist bigot.

Remember Nassib beat us by sacking Lamar & forcing the fumble?

Gruden could never face him as a man after all his hateful rhetoric came to light.

What is that saying? Play stupid games?

I think everything he said was pretty wrong outside of the Godell Criticism and his politcal viewpoint.

But to be fair here, he is suffering more backlash the scumbag trainer who was stealing and selling narcotics.

Like I said, the guy in this story is actually a victim of circumstance. No one would have ever known what he said had some law enforecement official which possibly broke the law, and definitely his own agency's ethics violation from leaking the material.

I do not feel sorry for him at all. I just think its terrible that his privacy was violated because of the criminal actions of someone who had nothing to do with the conversation he and Bruce allan or who ever was the recipient of the emails.