Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Hollywood is a #1 now

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Because the longer you wait the more he’s gonna cost you if you keep this up.
    he can't be extended until the end of year 3 (3 years). So this offseason is when they can start thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    He's a way better route runner than Jackson.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    the two aren't comparable receivers. Yes he's also a better route runner.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    True, but EDC also has Andrews (UFA in 2022) and LJ (I needn't remind you of what his future contract will look like = $$$$$$$) too. Of course I'd like to extend Hollywood, I was a supporter from his 1st game (two screws in his foot) up to today, but every contract has to be looked at vis-a-vis the $alary Cap. It's kind of ironic, after he dropped three catchable passes last week, I wonder if you'd be singing the same tune (?) ... Bc
    Andrews has already been signed.

Blog Entries

The Land of Verdite takes full credit for his rebound from the Detroit game. When he read the ‘Straight to DVD’ thread (That’s his name whenever he messes up bad), he requested an opportunity at redemption and we sent him on a quest to find himself. When he finished, he realized that he was in an……end zone.

I agree and have been a strong Hollywood supporter from day #1. However, what we fans sometimes don't consider, that EDC and Co. does, is that there's a $alary Cap. Hollywood is under Ravens control for this and next year, plus 2023 if his 1st round option is exercised. Can we at least see his performance in 2021, and perhaps into 2022, before making an offer? How many balked when he was drafted instead of N'Keal Harry or Deebo Samule or A.J. Brown or even Arcega-Whiteside? I hope he thrives and brings us another Super Bowl victory, then I'll worry about his contract. BTW, how do any of us know if he'd sign this early anyway?

Oh, and consider me still very grateful we dodged that Mosley contract.. me too, my friend, me too... Bc
    We can't bitch about never having a #1 receiver and then when we draft one that Lamar can grow with we don't keep him. The only way we don't sign him to a second contract is if he gets hurt or if Bateman ends up being better. Remember, the cap is probably going way up next year as well.

If we prove we can win games without a top defense I say we let Peters and Williams go and keep weapons for Lamar on offense.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Hollywood is only in his 3rd NFL season. He has 12 more regular season games (in 2021) plus another rookie year (2022) to go, then as a 1st round draft choice the Ravens have an option for 2023. Why think about his contract now? ... Bc
    He can't be signed until this off season but you do it early to spread his cap hit out. You take the last rookie deal year, the 5th year option, then possibly a franchise tag year, then add 2-3 years at what he would make as a top WR and then everage those years out to lessen his per year hit. He gets a signing bonus and guarantees a year or two early and for that would likely take less while removing the danger of a shortened career due to a major injury.

Anyway, we would take a bigger hit next year, then about the same the year after then enjoy the following years at quite a bit less than they otherwise would be.

And while I too like his looking for YAC as noted above, I would prefer with his small frame he do so while avoiding big hits. I like that he avoids the big hits as much as he can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    We can't bitch about never having a #1 receiver and then when we draft one that Lamar can grow with we don't keep him. The only way we don't sign him to a second contract is if he gets hurt or if Bateman ends up being better. Remember, the cap is probably going way up next year as well.

If we prove we can win games without a top defense I say we let Peters and Williams go and keep weapons for Lamar on offense.
    Who's bitching? You make it sound as if EDC should just open up the vault for him and say, "Take as much as you want!" As others have pointed out, he can't be extended until after his 3rd year/that's 2022. You've got to learn patience the way EDC learned it from Ozzie... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    He can't be signed until this off season but you do it early to spread his cap hit out. You take the last rookie deal year, the 5th year option, then possibly a franchise tag year, then add 2-3 years at what he would make as a top WR and then everage those years out to lessen his per year hit. He gets a signing bonus and guarantees a year or two early and for that would likely take less while removing the danger of a shortened career due to a major injury.

Anyway, we would take a bigger hit next year, then about the same the year after then enjoy the following years at quite a bit less than they otherwise would be.

And while I too like his looking for YAC as noted above, I would prefer with his small frame he do so while avoiding big hits. I like that he avoids the big hits as much as he can.
    Greg, I agree, but we look at it through the eyes of a fan. EDC also looks at it as a business decision. Believe me, I want to extend him, I've liked him since day #1 when he played with two screws in his foot. In MLB the sky's the limit for those rich teams (Bankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc.), but thankfully the NFL has a $alary Cap that somewhat levels the playing field. That's the restriction Ravens' management has to consider... Bc
    Last edited by BcRaven; 10-14-2021 at 10:17 AM.

I’d let him play out his rookie deal and decide between Bateman and Brown which one is more worth signing long term. Signing Brown too soon backs them into a corner, and what if Bateman is better. Even though they’d still get Bateman on his rookie deal for a little while if they decided to pay Brown, at some point they would probably lose one. They’ve never really paid for one #1 receiver never mind two. See what they have in Bateman first, let Brown prove he can be healthy, and they can always even tag Brown at some point. Don’t extend him as soon as they can though there is no pressure to.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    I’d let him play out his rookie deal and decide between Bateman and Brown which one is more worth signing long term. Signing Brown too soon backs them into a corner, and what if Bateman is better. Even though they’d still get Bateman on his rookie deal for a little while if they decided to pay Brown, at some point they would probably lose one. They’ve never really paid for one #1 receiver never mind two. See what they have in Bateman first, let Brown prove he can be healthy, and they can always even tag Brown at some point. Don’t extend him as soon as they can though there is no pressure to.
    This is Lamar's soulja on top of being a very good receiver with whom he has great chemistry. They'll try their best to sign him, same way they've done with Andrews. And worry (hopefully) about Bateman later.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    This is Lamar's soulja on top of being a very good receiver with whom he has great chemistry. They'll try their best to sign him, same way they've done with Andrews. And worry (hopefully) about Bateman later.
    If Golladay can fetch $18 million a season on the open market you’d think that Brown could do the same if he sustains his current production. You think that Brown is worth that already if he finishes the season 70-80 catches, 1300 yards, 10+ touchdowns or so?

Who's bitching? You make it sound as if EDC should just open up the vault for him and say, "Take as much as you want!" As others have pointed out, he can't be extended until after his 3rd year/that's 2022. You've got to learn patience the way EDC learned it from Ozzie... Bc

Greg, I agree, but we look at it through the eyes of a fan. EDC also looks at it as a business decision. Believe me, I want to extend him, I've liked him since day #1 when he played with two screws in his foot. In MLB the sky's the limit for those rich teams (Bankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc.), but thankfully the NFL has a $alary Cap that somewhat levels the playing field. That's the restriction Ravens' management has to consider... Bc
    Everyone knows there’s a salary cap Bc. That’s why people want to extend him earlier than later… so we DONT have to open up the vault and say take as much as you want. The closer someone is to FA the more they tend to want/get to sign an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Bateman hasn't even taken a regular season snap yet. Let's pump the brakes on him being worthy of an extension. Right now Watkins is our clear #2 receiver. Duvernay and Proche seem to be battling it out for #3. Bateman has some work to do just to get ahead of Boykin. Not that he can't, but he's not guaranteed to be better than any of those guys listed above.