Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Happy Christopher Columbus Day

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I wonder if he knows the first person to own an African slave in America was a black man.
    No way. Public schools don't teach the truth. When some people finally hear it this is the reaction you get. He's actually offended that those 11 Sicilians were the largest mass lynching in US history. I mean how twisted is that?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    In the 1890's? Yep. Many people thought of them as below blacks.

National reaction wasn’t much better. Teddy Roosevelt, not yet president, famously said the lynching was “a rather good thing.” A March 16, 1891 editorial in “The New York Times” argued:

These sneaking and cowardly Sicilians, the descendants of bandits and assassins, who have transported to this country the lawless passions, the cut-throat practices, and the oath-bound societies of their native country, are to us a pest without mitigation. Our own rattlesnakes are as good citizens as they…Lynch law was the only course open to the people of New Orleans.”

John Parker, who helped organize the lynch mob, later went on to be governor of Louisiana. In 1911, he said of Italians that they were “just a little worse than the Negro, being if anything filthier in [their] habits, lawless, and treacherous.”

Bottomline is we got too many federal holidays. Indigenous people's day should be the day Custer died. Not Columbus Day. That's just plain freaking stupid.
    I don't know a lot but I know a little

I think the Juneteenth thing is utterly ridiculous. Just a bunch of spineless politicians trying to ease their consciences and quiet down the ill-feeling and violence sweeping the country in 2020.

"Indigenous people" deserve a day no more than does Columbus. Warlike tribes attacked others long before whites ever showed up. God didn't make them perfect, either.

Whites were technologically superior to the Indians and, after a time, far more numerous and organized.The tribes never had a chance against them.

The conquest of the Indians isn't a glorious or proud chapter in our history. Certainly I don't think so. But it was going to happen once the two came into contact. The more powerful will always win out in the end if they have the well to impose it.
    Last edited by mikezpen; 10-22-2021 at 11:12 AM.