Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Re: Passing game pace...

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    I’m still worried see past playoff games
    Different season, different game plan, different personnel.

Re: Passing game pace...

Quote Originally Posted by Waywatcher View Post
    Different season, different game plan, different personnel.
    Yup heard that in 2019 too

My only tiny issue is that Roman seems to stick to his gameplan wayy to long until we are damn near out the game because we are down so much.

The defense was running single high safety stack the box 8-9 and Roman was still running goofy HB dives and slams.

The 15+ yard passes were there all game. We could have been up by 20 at halftime.

Oddly enough he did attempt to open it up in the lions game early, but the WRs were dropping everything. But I liked the gameplan.

Teams are not going to let us run the ball. Period. Time to just air it out until they learn Lamar can throw and our receivers can get open

4. Re: Passing game pace...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post
    My only tiny issue is that Roman seems to stick to his gameplan wayy to long until we are damn near out the game because we are down so much.

The defense was running single high safety stack the box 8-9 and Roman was still running goofy HB dives and slams.

The 15+ yard passes were there all game. We could have been up by 20 at halftime.

Oddly enough he did attempt to open it up in the lions game early, but the WRs were dropping everything. But I liked the gameplan.

Teams are not going to let us run the ball. Period. Time to just air it out until they learn Lamar can throw and our receivers can get open
    I dunno, man. A few games in a row with Lamar dropping 400 yards in the air will likely result in a defensive philosophy shift. Now, granted, whether we can take advantage given the O Line's poor run blocking and pronounced reduction in running back skill is a fair question...

5. Re: Passing game pace...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post

The Ravens opened the game with 3 dropbacks. They attempted passes on 1st and 3rd down of drive two. Should they pull a BUF and just never run, even when the passing game isn't generating first downs?

Dropback/run breakdown by drive

The bigger issue than playcalling to me is that they keep coming out flat, regardless of game plan. They have been dreadful in the first quarter this season. Marked change from 2019 (and even from 2020).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    The Ravens opened the game with 3 dropbacks. They attempted passes on 1st and 3rd down of drive two. Should they pull a BUF and just never run, even when the passing game isn't generating first downs?

Dropback/run breakdown by drive

The bigger issue than playcalling to me is that they keep coming out flat, regardless of game plan. They have been dreadful in the first quarter this season. Marked change from 2019 (and even from 2020).
    Yea you cherry picked a drive than went to extremes.

The entire half we had 3 points.

I’m not just talking about “throwing the ball on the first drive”. In the first half their were many opportunities to throw the ball downfield instead of running HB up the middle for no gainers against stacked boxes.

The play calling changed in the end of the 3rd and 4th qtrs where we pushed the ball downfield with 15+ yard routes. The offensive play calling was night and day and it’s obvious.

Are you saying we ran the same offense in the 4th as we did in the first half but we were just flat?

Pace after seven games

4719 Lamar Jackson
    95 Tyler Huntley
    ---------------
    1375 Marquise Brown
    1253 Mark Andrews
    709 Sammy Watkins
    316 Devin Duvernay
    287 James Proche
    265 Rashod Bateman
    204 Ty'Son Williams
    143 Devonta Freeman
    143 Josh Oliver
    61 Latavius Murray
    46 Patrick Ricard
    15 Miles Boykin
    -2 Le'Veon Bell

Obviously because Bateman missed the beginning of the season and Watkins the past few games, their pace may be skewed.

Now, look at this

NFL Passing Leaders (Pace)

5631 Tom Brady
    5510 Derek Carr
    5264 Matthew Stafford
    5083 Patrick Mahomes
    4843 Justin Herbert
    4837 Kyler Murray
    4789 Josh Allen
    4743 Kirk Cousins
    4719 Lamar Jackson
    4707 Joe Burrow

That's your top ten. To put this another way

Most all time
    Most all time (x2)
    3rd all time
    11th all time
    23rd all time
    23rd all time (x2)
    29th all time
    33rd all time
    35th all time
    39th all time

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Now, look at this

NFL Passing Leaders (Pace)

5631 Tom Brady
    5510 Derek Carr
    5264 Matthew Stafford
    5083 Patrick Mahomes
    4843 Justin Herbert
    4837 Kyler Murray
    4789 Josh Allen
    4743 Kirk Cousins
    4719 Lamar Jackson
    4707 Joe Burrow

That's your top ten. To put this another way

Most all time
    Most all time (x2)
    3rd all time
    11th all time
    23rd all time
    23rd all time (x2)
    29th all time
    33rd all time
    35th all time
    39th all time
    Well this is expected with a 17 game schedule. I was curious to see how many rushing yards Henry was going to get, but that’s a moot point now.

While the passing game has improved greatly and is a threat to opposing defenses, I still worry that an infective run game will force us to become even more reliant on Lamar's arm. Teams will eventually be able to scheme better. Question is whether Roman can counter that. A decent run game would go a long way to alleviating those concerns.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    While the passing game has improved greatly and is a threat to opposing defenses, I still worry that an infective run game will force us to become even more reliant on Lamar's arm. Teams will eventually be able to scheme better. Question is whether Roman can counter that. A decent run game would go a long way to alleviating those concerns.
    At this point spreading the field with 3 WR and getting guys out of the box is a benefit to our run game. Primarily for Lamar. It’s way easier for him to get those 10-15 yard chunk runs without all the trash around the LOS and 2nd level.

I think putting guys like Ricard and extra TEs out there is a detriment more than anything except for goal to go situations. We just don’t have the RB or the OL to take advantage of the extra blockers.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    At this point spreading the field with 3 WR and getting guys out of the box is a benefit to our run game. Primarily for Lamar. It’s way easier for him to get those 10-15 yard chunk runs without all the trash around the LOS and 2nd level.

I think putting guys like Ricard and extra TEs out there is a detriment more than anything except for goal to go situations. We just don’t have the RB or the OL to take advantage of the extra blockers.
    The question is how would the Tackles hold up without help from Ricard and the TEs? Can the Ravens afford to spread defenses out?

With Villanueva + A Body on the outside we're almost forced into heavy formations, which wouldn't be so bad if we had any semblance of a running game, but for a one dimensional passing offense like this year's Ravens have become, it's a problem.