Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2021 Terps football program faces BIG test on October 1

Maryland football fans have been waiting two years for the opportunity this Friday (10-1-21). No. 5 Iowa at home. It is a huge test for them. It is potentially a ‘watershed’ game for the Terps football program. A win would propel them into the upper echelon of the Big 10 (if they are mature enough to handle the raised expectations).

The last time they started 4-0 it ended up a disaster (three wins against ‘patsies’). I have a hunch they are legitimate this time. Solid QB, coaches, and their defense has found respectability. It was all on display in their opener against WVU.

Thank goodness(!) they are not yet ranked in the Top 25 (received enough votes for 27th in AP poll this week). Afraid it would ‘go to their heads’. This way, they head into the game with the right attitude (hopefully) and a lot to prove.

CCx

Re: 2021 Terps football program faces BIG test on October 1

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    Maryland football fans have been waiting two years for the opportunity this Friday (10-1-21). No. 5 Iowa at home. It is a huge test for them. It is potentially a ‘watershed’ game for the Terps football program. A win would propel them into the upper echelon of the Big 10 (if they are mature enough to handle the raised expectations).

The last time they started 4-0 it ended up a disaster (three wins against ‘patsies’). I have a hunch they are legitimate this time. Solid QB, coaches, and their defense has found respectability. It was all on display in their opener against WVU.

Thank goodness(!) they are not yet ranked in the Top 25 (received enough votes for 27th in AP poll this week). Afraid it would ‘go to their heads’. This way, they head into the game with the right attitude (hopefully) and a lot to prove.

CCx
    I am a huge Iowa Hawkeyes fan. I think this will be a great game! Iowa is the ugliest Top 5 team you will ever see. Their defense is great. Their offense is....to put it nice.....inconsistent. I will tell you that as a Hawkeyes fan, I am VERY nervous about this game. Obviously, I hope a lot of you are disappointed tomorrow night, but I am looking forward to a good game. GO HAWKEYES. Much respect to the Terps...wish them luck this season...just not tomorrow night!

Quote Originally Posted by VermontRaven View Post
    I am a huge Iowa Hawkeyes fan. I think this will be a great game! Iowa is the ugliest Top 5 team you will ever see. Their defense is great. Their offense is....to put it nice.....inconsistent. I will tell you that as a Hawkeyes fan, I am VERY nervous about this game. Obviously, I hope a lot of you are disappointed tomorrow night, but I am looking forward to a good game. GO HAWKEYES. Much respect to the Terps...wish them luck this season...just not tomorrow night!
    As long as they don't win 6-4 it won't be the ugliest game I've seen...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VermontRaven View Post
    Great. The only response I get so far is from a Hawkeyes fan.😉. Thank You Vermont Raven! I appreciate your thoughts since I know next to nothing about Iowa. I know they are a highly respected football program in the Big Ten historically.

Realistically, I do not expect a Terps win. But it would be a MAJOR turning point for the Maryland program with potentially huge dividends in recruiting. After opening the season with a win over West Virginia (who embarrassed the Terps in their previous meeting while dominating the all-time series most recently), have been dreaming of the best case scenario: a 9-3 regular season and playing in the Big 10 championship game. In this best case, anticipating losses to Iowa, OSU and Michigan State. Yes, that would mean upsetting Penn State and Michigan, both at home.

I really don’t know what’s going to happen Friday night. Hoping at least that the Terps can give the Hawkeyes a contest. Good Luck to Iowa AFTER Friday night.

CCx

4-0 Terps complete test ... BIG failure. Weaknesses in program exposed once again. Probably finish 6-6 and lose another bowl game. NO real progress since Ralph Friedgen booted for NO valid reason.

CCx

4-0 Terps complete test ... BIG failure. Weaknesses in program exposed once again. Probably finish 6-6 and lose another bowl game. NO real progress since Ralph Friedgen booted for NO valid reason.

CCx
    No shame in losing to a top 5 team man. I'm kind of nervous to watch psu go into their house next week.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Watching this game vs Ohio St - this MD defense is embarrassingly bad. This is like watching a Division 1 school vs Division 2. And I don't think Ohio State is all that great this year, at least not compared to previous years. Early in the 3rd qtr and it's 49-10.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Watching this game vs Ohio St - this MD defense is embarrassingly bad. This is like watching a Division 1 school vs Division 2. And I don't think Ohio State is all that great this year, at least not compared to previous years. Early in the 3rd qtr and it's 49-10.
    Ohio State offense is very good. Stroud continues to get better with more reps but playmakers all over the field with a great OL.

Ohio State defense different story. Lbs are not good and DE is under performing. Secondary is just meh.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483

66-17 loss.

117 points given up in the last 2 games. There's no excuse to give up that much at this level. MD is hardly looking like a Big 10 school right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    66-17 loss.

117 points given up in the last 2 games. There's no excuse to give up that much at this level. MD is hardly looking like a Big 10 school right now.
    (1) Debbie Yow left her post as Maryland AD and no one has filled her shoes.
    (2) HC Ralph Friedgen replaced after a 9-4 season.
    (3) Maryland decides to move from the ACC to the Big Ten.

Brilliant!

IF (and that’s a very big IF) Mike Locksley turns out to be the answer at HC, then the Terps DESPERATELY need a major upset win against a highly ranked team to dramatically improve their recruiting. This Saturday they have Michigan at home. It’s their last chance this season.

Of course, it’s very unlikely, unfortunately.

IF (and that’s a very big IF) Mike Locksley turns out to be the answer at HC, then the Terps DESPERATELY need a major upset win against a highly ranked team to dramatically improve their recruiting. This Saturday they have Michigan at home. It’s their last chance this season.

Of course, it’s very unlikely, unfortunately.
    A Michigan upset would be lovely

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk