Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: NFL Field Goal Record

I believe this is the second time a Baltimore kicker has owned the longest FG record.

Didn’t Bert Rechichar of the BALTIMORE Colts hold it at 56 yds for a while?

Fellow old guys, help me out here.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    Nice summary; what stands out try all of those accomplishments and 30 years later still can’t find a receiver that can actually catch.
    Well, we did have one who could catch anything in his vicinity. Best WR in tam history. After playing a major role in winning the Lombardi Trophy, he was unceremoniously dumped, after refusing to take a $2 million pay cut.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Well, we did have one who could catch anything in his vicinity. Best WR in tam history. After playing a major role in winning the Lombardi Trophy, he was unceremoniously dumped, after refusing to take a $2 million pay cut.
    All so they could go out and get Canty, Spears and Huff.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

6. Re: NFL Field Goal Record

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee414 View Post
    I believe this is the second time a Baltimore kicker has owned the longest FG record.

Didn’t Bert Rechichar of the BALTIMORE Colts hold it at 56 yds for a while?

Fellow old guys, help me out here.
    Looks correct to me:
    Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    While playing for the Baltimore Colts against the Chicago Bears on September 27, 1953, Rechichar successfully kicked a 56-yard field goal, breaking the previous unofficial record of 55 yards (set by drop kick by Paddy Driscoll in 1924). Rechichar held the NFL record for the longest field goal kick for over seventeen years; his record stood until Tom Dempsey booted a 63-yarder in 1970; His record-setting kick was his first field goal attempt as a professional.
    Link to wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Rechichar#NFL_career

There's a Milwaukee Sentinel newspaper that writes about it, but I don't currently have time to get access to the archives. The title seems to be "Colts jolt Bears, 13-9, get record 56-yard field goal." It was published on September 28, 1953. It's usually pretty easy to access archives for newspapers (often through the library system local to the paper).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Man, there are a lot of salty people about that delay of game.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Lions called a timeout (Ravens had no timeouts left) to allow the Ravens time to draw up a play for 4th & 19, and then allowed the Ravens to get the first down. I would be more angry about that if I was a Lions fans. The Ravens should have never gotten that close to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Those of us here would be pretty damned salty had the two teams positions been reversed. I don't blame Lions' fans for being pissed.

That said, it's hardly the first time officiating controversy has been front and center of a game's outcome. And it won't be the last. A win is a win. And if there is anyone on planet Earth who STILL doesn't believe Justin Tucker is the best in the business, then I don't know what to tell them.

The Detroit perspective of Tuckers Hall of Fame statue

IMG_0593.jpg

Just for laughs - can't figure out how to turn it

On the other hand , the TV booth overturned the field official and gave the TD to Detroit when there was no conclusive evidence that the Detroit RB had scored.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Lions called a timeout (Ravens had no timeouts left) to allow the Ravens time to draw up a play for 4th & 19, and then allowed the Ravens to get the first down. I would be more angry about that if I was a Lions fans. The Ravens should have never gotten that close to begin with.
    Ding Ding Ding!

I'm kind of enjoying the folks losing their minds over it. Ultimately does nothing to take away what Tucker accomplished no matter what kind of mental gymnastics people want to engage in.
    Any time spent trying to pin this one on the refs is easily refuted by the calls Detroit got throughout the game that benefitted them. Also, it seems very likely that something was wrong with the clocks in Detroit because a few plays earlier in the drive, the refs stopped everything and had to reset.

The one person that benefits from "Clockgate" is Dan Campbell. Now he doesn't have to constantly answer the question of why the hell you would call a timeout on 4th and fucking 19 when the opposing team had moved backwards on three consecutive plays. Your crowd was going crazy and the visiting team was completely out of sorts and had no timeouts left to settle down and compose themselves. When the other team is crashing and burning, smart coaches know to just get out of the way and let them do it. Dan Campbell strikes me as Mike Tice 2.0. The meathead, player's coach archetype plays well in tv interviews, but on gamedays, that's the kind of unforced errors that bite you in the ass.