Page 14 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast

Re: Patrick Queen needs to be benched

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentinaRaven View Post
    queen is a first round, he does not have the 2 years to learn the position that they ask for.
    He's not elam either or a bust, just maybe like in our history with the linebackers, hopes were placed very high on him.
    Why not?
    Why does being a 1st round pick mean you don't get time to develop? Every player is different. Some take longer to get it. He's playing very inconsistently right now, but I have no idea all the reasons why and I'm not going to pretend that I do. Especially in Wink's defense. It's possible that most of it is really coming down to overthinking things. The poor tackling has no excuse, I'll grant that. I always get worried when key players go out during games for us(Deshon last few weeks). It seems like when a starter goes out, Wink shifts responsibilities on defense to different players and we start looking slow to the ball or out of position.

It's interesting that Kenny Young's name has come up - a 4th year linebacker that seems to be finally "getting it" who in his 2nd year was suffering from the exact things we are saying about Queen.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I'm fine with giving him two years to learn the position as long as they're spent on the practice field and not in the middle of the Ravens defense.

My preferred option would be to trade Queen now to a team who were high on him pre-draft. I don't think he's going to have any value at all by the end of this season so I'd take a 4th or 5th now before the whole league finds that out. Maybe I'm too low on him but, other than unblocked blitzes, I haven't seen anything from him.
    I wonder if Fangio is going to target him this week, he's an ex-Raven and his defensive mind will be zeroing in on weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    It’s partially us but the ILB position is dreadful across the league. It’s really hard to find guys who can be 3 down linebackers effective against 2021 offenses and as a result there are like 3 good ones in the league and everyone else is pretty bad.
    That's definitely true but there are degrees of bad. LJ Fort was no one's idea of a top 3 ILB but he could be a useful part of a good defense. I'd love EDC to find someone like that on a practice squad or even in a late round trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Quiet as kept, since developing Bart Scott, we've been pretty poor in drafting ILB's for a good while now.
    Probably worth a deeper dive overall. The decline in the ILB position also seems to have coincided with the new rules for hitting defenseless receivers and more and more protections for offenses to achieve higher scoring games. Illegal contact was not a thing back in Ray's glory days. Jacking up receivers and TEs for simply daring to run between the hash marks was standard. An ILB didn't have to be great at coverage when you could simply bump the guy or flat out destroy him.

I still say Mosley was way better than many fans here gave him credit for. He had the unfortunate task of following Ray and losing the benefit of being able to play the position the way Ray and Bart could back in the day.

I'm fine with giving him two years to learn the position as long as they're spent on the practice field and not in the middle of the Ravens defense.

My preferred option would be to trade Queen now to a team who were high on him pre-draft. I don't think he's going to have any value at all by the end of this season so I'd take a 4th or 5th now before the whole league finds that out. Maybe I'm too low on him but, other than unblocked blitzes, I haven't seen anything from him.
    This is just going too far. A 4th or 5th for Queen? I know he’s playing poorly right now but come on bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    I wonder if Fangio is going to target him this week, he's an ex-Raven and his defensive mind will be zeroing in on weaknesses.
    If a coach doesn't target the middle of the Ravens defense with a legit TE and/or their running backs, simply put, he's an idiot.

That's definitely true but there are degrees of bad. LJ Fort was no one's idea of a top 3 ILB but he could be a useful part of a good defense. I'd love EDC to find someone like that on a practice squad or even in a late round trade.
    I think before long it’ll be Bynes at Mike and a rotation at Will until the trade deadline and then they’ll decide if anyone is worth trading for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Probably worth a deeper dive overall. The decline in the ILB position also seems to have coincided with the new rules for hitting defenseless receivers and more and more protections for offenses to achieve higher scoring games. Illegal contact was not a thing back in Ray's glory days. Jacking up receivers and TEs for simply daring to run between the hash marks was standard. An ILB didn't have to be great at coverage when you could simply bump the guy or flat out destroy him.

I still say Mosley was way better than many fans here gave him credit for. He had the unfortunate task of following Ray and losing the benefit of being able to play the position the way Ray and Bart could back in the day.
    You are right, I should have noted that Mosely was the one exception. He was really fucking good and underrated here IMHO. Not an all pro, but definitely consistent pro bowl level guy when he was here.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    blaming Ryan is silly IMO
    Agreed. There is a certain kind of fan that ALWAYS blames coaching and never holds players accountable for performance. Queens performance falls on the shoulders of one guy...............Queen.

Blog Entries

He is Patrick Elam.

On the latest Filmstudy podcast they spent almost 40 mins on Queen and neither one found a single positive thing to say about him.

The guest made a good point. They can't they watch Queen film in the linebacker meetings and say that's acceptable for the Ravens and so how can they justify starting him ahead of players who haven't put that crap on tape? It undermines everything you're trying to teach and demand from the other ILBs.

To me, that seems an unanswerable case for dropping him, no matter the draft capital or the low ceiling of the backups. They can't send the message to the rest of the roster that Queen's lack of courage and effort is acceptable.
    yikes, just listened to that podcast and Ken and his guest Gabe absolutely posterized Queen. Can’t feel too good about Queens prospects after listening to that, especially if you trust Ken’s analysis as I typically do.

EDC actually found Fort in the streets.

Christ, people! We are 2-1 after beating the Chiefs with an longer IR list than players you can put into a PS. Take the wins, hope for the best and get used to the fact that it's going to be ugly more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    If any DC is smart they will.

The play there is so inferior compared to the rest of the defensive units any coach that doesn't attack there is an idiot.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.