Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marquis Brown

Marquis Brown

Let me preface this thread by saying Marquis was a great pick and paying dividends. The chemistry between Lamar and him is really fun to watch and continues to evolve and get better. Having said that I have two concerns, maybe it's not a big deal but they are as follows:

Avoids contact way too often
    Are there still lingering injuries holding him back

As for the first point how often do we see Brown catch a pass and either go to the ground quickly or actually take a step back before proceeding up the field. It's just odd to me. There are times I feel like he should accelerate up the field instead of out of bounds. I just worry that when we need those tough yards in a clutch moment he won't get it because he's trying to avoid contact

As for the 2nd point I know he's had lingering ankle and hamstring issues. I feel like he's holding back sometimes even when he's fully healthy. Is it due to injuries or is this because he's a little gun shy about contact. Case in point. That 42 yard pass he caught at midfield. I felt he took take that to the house even though he was sandwich between two defenders. But it just seems like he hit the ground when he really didn't need to. Felt like he could outrun those two guys.

I may be splitting hairs given we're coming off a big win but hey I'm a little bored and thought I would start the discussion.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Re: Marquis Brown

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Let me preface this thread by saying Marquis was a great pick and paying dividends. The chemistry between Lamar and him is really fun to watch and continues to evolve and get better. Having said that I have two concerns, maybe it's not a big deal but they are as follows:

Avoids contact way too often
    Are there still lingering injuries holding him back

As for the first point how often do we see Brown catch a pass and either go to the ground quickly or actually take a step back before proceeding up the field. It's just odd to me. There are times I feel like he should accelerate up the field instead of out of bounds. I just worry that when we need those tough yards in a clutch moment he won't get it because he's trying to avoid contact

As for the 2nd point I know he's had lingering ankle and hamstring issues. I feel like he's holding back sometimes even when he's fully healthy. Is it due to injuries or is this because he's a little gun shy about contact. Case in point. That 42 yard pass he caught at midfield. I felt he took take that to the house even though he was sandwich between two defenders. But it just seems like he hit the ground when he really didn't need to. Felt like he could outrun those two guys.

I may be splitting hairs given we're coming off a big win but hey I'm a little bored and thought I would start the discussion.
    I question the toughness at times too but we gotta also remember he is a small WR. Marvin Harrison used to do the same

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I think his avoidance of contact would be a bigger concern to me if he weren't almost always really good at getting separation. Just keep getting open and catching the ball. He's never going to be a guy who is good with contact...he's almost always going to be the smallest guy on the field when he's playing.

His injuries do concern me although he's a guy who's pretty much almost always gutted out playing even when he's hurt...he's a tough kid. Maybe should make some changes in his training regimen to avoid all these strains and pulls he seems to frequently struggle with.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I'm not concerned with the contact thing. At worst it elicits a chuckle, because it is kind of comical at times, but at his size, and with his increasing importance to the team, and his injury history, I don't need to see him trying to put his shoulder into someone for an extra yard outside of extraordinary situations. He's not Anquan Boldin.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

you see guys all the time catch the ball and dive. Especially the smaller guys; it's a business decision

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Hollywood has always avoided contact since Pee Wee ball. Always the smallest guy on the field. Fast, agile, but even now he gives up 30-75 pounds against every tackler. I’ve said he gets tackled by defenders shadows. Point is his game has developed into this catch the ball and get down or out of bounds before he gets destroyed. Take it or leave it, it is what it is.

Best ability is availability. I don't need him to prove he's bigger than he is.
    And you see guys doing this all the time, more and more. Running OOB or diving.
    "Find #20 on every play"

I believe this is a coaching decision. If you watch Hollywood's college tape he was a more aggressive YAC guy. Due to his small frame I believe the coaches feel Hollywood without YAC is better than no Hollywood at all. I do wish his awareness was a little better when gauging how much open field is around him. A lot of times you see him casually run out of bounds when you see a ton of open field if he just cuts back. He definitely isn't fully utilizing his speed. But I agree that Hollywood without YAC is better than no Hollywood at all.

Any of you old guys like me ever see Jerry Rice with dirt on his uniform? That's right.. Jerry always looked like he was dressed for a military parade. He was the master of avoiding tackles and getting out of bounds. And yes, I know he was a much bigger guy with better overall skills. But.. I think Hollywood can make a great career out of avoiding getting drilled by guys twice his size on a regular basis.

I also don't think he's ever been 100% since being drafted. Year 4 and there are still lingering questions about his health.

Also, judging by the thread title, he's an aristrocrat so he's not going to welcome rough physical contact with the lower orders.

Hollywood addressed this in an interview after Sunday's game. He said that last year he did it because he wasn't confident about how healthy his foot was and wanted to avoid contact. He said the new WR coaches have been working with him to not play scared and to leave it all of the field.

I have noticed him diving down to avoid contact much less so far, but he's still only 180lbs at most and should avoid contact when there is nothing to gain.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I'd rather have him avoid contact & not get an extra 3 yards on 1 play, so that he can jet past a defense & get an extra 40 yards later in the game.